Ideas for when I finally open a school!

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

My goal in all of this, is to one day in the not so distant future.. open and run my own Tae Kwon Do/martial arts school. I want to share what I have learned with others. I've never had a firm grasp on what I wanted to do once my dreams of becoming a rock star were over, but I think I have finally found a common ground between having a normal job, and doing something extroardinary. I've been tossing around ideas, with another instructor friend of mine, and another friend who studies TKD with me as well (1st dan, we are talking about doing this as partners).

I'm wanting to open the school in a town about 30 minutes from where our current school is. There used to be a school there years ago, but since then.. nothing. The school did well in those days, except for the instructor angering parents being too rough with his students (I started there).

Anyway, here are a few of the ideas I have right now that I am gonna start compiling out in a notebook to keep track of. I plan to teach as an assistant instructor at my own school before any of this happens, but its fun to plan ahead and research how "I" would do things if it were me.

Here goes..

Belt Structure

(between each belt level. Students would have that chance to earn 3 stripes. These stripes would represent a part of the curriculum that the student has excelled at. Sparring, Self Defense, or Form. They must get all 3 stripes to test for the next color belt.)

White - 3 yellow stripes
Yellow - 3 green stripes
green - 3 blue stripes
Blue - 3 red stripes
Red - 3 black stripes
Recommended Black (black belt with red stripe in middle)
1st dan.

Class Structure

Adults - Adults are considered age 12+.
Kids - The kids class will consist of kids ages 8-12. I thought about starting them earlier. But there are very few kids out there who can grasp what needs to be grasped.. THAT early. The belt structure for the kids class would be the same as the adults. With the exception of the grading. Once the child reaches Black Belt he will be granted a "JR BLACK BELT" which will basically be a black belt with "JR BLACK BELT" embroirdered in white on the end. Basically this signifies that this student has completed the curriculum as it is taught to those under the age of 12. Once the student attains JR BLACK BELT. He or she has the option to join the adults class (even if younger than 12, which won't be likely). Once in the adults class, the student will then begin a review of all the material covered in the kids version of the class, on an adult level. The grading scale will increase, and the child will then have to perfect what one has learned. After they have achieved a level of "adult" learning, They will test for 1st dan black belt as an adult. If the JR BLACK BELT is not 12 years old, and wishes to remain in the kids class. They can do so and continue to do the curriculum but will not test again until they are moved to the adult class.

Testings

I would like to schedule testings at set intervals. Testing for belt colors of all ranks, would be done on a weekend. Preferably during the evening. I would like to make a big deal about it when students test. I want them to feel like they have earned something, and not just another belt. Almost like a graduation ceremony. Maybe some speakers, special guest instructors/testers, demonstrations and refreshements. etc.

What do you guys think so far?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you are overly concentrating on the trappings of a school. The belt colors you have for students are superfluous compared to the required skills to being an effective teacher, much less an effective teacher of martial arts. Think about the best instructor you've ever had - it could be a football coach or a math teacher or even your church pastor. What did he do well and why? Was he able to engage you both verbally and physically? Were you able to relate to his analogies. What role did charisma if any play in his success?

I'll try and discuss this a bit more later, but let's start out with the premise that being a good martial artist does not automatically mean you will be a good MA teacher. The TKD world in general does not pay much attention to pedagogy. Instead the norm seems to be, hey you're a black belt now, so you're also a teacher.

Last edited:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching shoulld be the main focus point of the school not how many belts and testing, sorry just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think you are overly concentrating on the trappings of a school. The belt colors you have for students is superfluous compared to the required skills to being an effective teacher, much less an effective teacher of martial arts. Think about the best instructor you've ever had - it could be a football coach or a math teacher or even your church pastor. What did you do well and why?

I'll try and discuss this a bit more later, but let's start out with the premise that being a good martial artist does not automatically mean you will be a good MA teacher. The TKD world does not pay much attention to pedagogy. Instead the norm seems to be, hey you're a black belt now, so you're also a teacher.

I agree. But the desire to become a teacher, to me at least.. is more than just "being a black belt". I know 1000 black belts, none of which who teach. I've taught other things before.. such as guitar, art... etc. Being black belt doesn't make you a teacher, but having an interest in becoming a teacher is a good start no?

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Reaching shoulld be the main focus point of the school not how many belts and testing, sorry just my opinion.

Every school has a structure. This wasn't supposed to be about philosophy or motive. This was supposed to be ideas for "organizing" things. I want my students to "reach".. but if there is no organization then all you have is chaos.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. But the desire to become a teacher, to me at least.. is more than just "being a black belt". I know 1000 black belts, none of which who teach. I've taught other things before.. such as guitar, art... etc. Being black belt doesn't make you a teacher, but having an interest in becoming a teacher is a good start no?

Sure. All I'm trying to get across is that the path to teaching MA should broach many more regions than TKD alone. You just seem to be putting the cart ahead of the horse. Think about your school in your head. Would it still be a successful one in a world without belt colors or rank advancement?

I understand you're wanting to "organize" your proposed school. If that's purely the case, may I suggest just buying a Kovar or Premier Martial Arts business kit? They'll lay it out for you exactly what needs to be done to run a commercial school according to their design. Some have done very well financially with these organizations.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would do away with the stripes for each belt and just go with your standard belt colors. By having stripes it makes it look like a McDojo and that your giving stripes as a way to make money (testing for stripes). I don't do TKD but I would have about 8 to 10 belts. In my kung fu school we have white, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, 2nd brown, 1st brown, and 1st degree black. If you were a child you had to learn everything that an adult learned which meant if you tested for black then you got tested just like an adult. You had to do everything that an adult did. The only difference was maybe the sparring part of the test. The instructor wouldn't hit or kick you as hard if you were a kid. He'd still hit you hard though don't get me wrong.

Also I would avoid belonging to any organizations such as American TKD Association, or International TKD Federation, Etc.....These are money making organizations that feed off schools. A lot of times they also tell you how you should and shouldn't run your school. It's your school, you should run it the way you want.

Even though it is a business, don't make money be the whole purpose of operation.

Every couple months have some type of fund raiser for making money for the school. Example: Have a car wash. Afterwards by a few pizzas for all that helped wash cars. 2 pizzas cost about 11 bucks at Little Caesars.

Pass out flyers advertising your school. Pass out flyers at schools, malls, and in shopping centers. Even go house to house and put them on doors.

Here is the best idea......Have a black belt club. Here's how it works. ....You figure out how much it costs on average to get a black belt. To make it easy let's say three years. Thats 36 months, right? To make it even easier lets say you charge $50 dollars a month. Thats $1800 (assuming it takes three years). Heres where the cool part comes in.......Tell the customer if he pays $1300 ALL UP FRONT thats all he ever has to pay until he gets his black belt, even if it takes longer than 3 years. Your saving them $500 and your getting some money upfront to help you get your school going. $1300 could be 2 months rent somewhere (or at least one months rent).

Have special black belt classes for your black belts.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would do away with the stripes for each belt and just go with your standard belt colors. By having stripes it makes it look like a McDojo and that your giving stripes as a way to make money (testing for stripes). I don't do TKD but I would have about 8 to 10 belts. In my kung fu school we have white, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, 2nd brown, 1st brown, and 1st degree black. If you were a child you had to learn everything that an adult learned which meant if you tested for black then you got tested just like an adult. You had to do everything that an adult did. The only difference was maybe the sparring part of the test. The instructor wouldn't hit or kick you as hard if you were a kid. He'd still hit you hard though don't get me wrong.

Also I would avoid belonging to any organizations such as American TKD Association, or International TKD Federation, Etc.....These are money making organizations that feed off schools. A lot of times they also tell you how you should and shouldn't run your school. It's your school, you should run it the way you want.

Even though it is a business, don't make money be the whole purpose of operation.

Every couple months have some type of fund raiser for making money for the school. Example: Have a car wash. Afterwards by a few pizzas for all that helped wash cars. 2 pizzas cost about 11 bucks at Little Caesars.

Pass out flyers advertising your school. Pass out flyers at schools, malls, and in shopping centers. Even go house to house and put them on doors.

Here is the best idea......Have a black belt club. Here's how it works. ....You figure out how much it costs on average to get a black belt. To make it easy let's say three years. Thats 36 months, right? To make it even easier lets say you charge $50 dollars a month. Thats $1800 (assuming it takes three years). Heres where the cool part comes in.......Tell the customer if he pays $1300 ALL UP FRONT thats all he ever has to pay until he gets his black belt, even if it takes longer than 3 years. Your saving them $500 and your getting some money upfront to help you get your school going. $1300 could be 2 months rent somewhere (or at least one months rent).

Have special black belt classes for your black belts.

no testing for stripes. no costs for stripes.. its just tape.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having taught guitar and art in the past will give you a good head star, IMO, as those are both things that require a bit of the ethereal, so to speak and not straight line tab a into slot b thinking. Best of luck.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sylo,
I just opened a school, like 4 months ago.

Best advice I can give you is

think of everything

then think of everything again

I mean everything

you seem to have a handle on belt ranks, testing.

get a solid business plan now

figure out your costs, figure out what the market will bear for tuition, then figure how many students at X tuition will it take to cover your costs.

dont ignore the business side.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, most important make sure you have enough money to cover bills such as rent, electric, water, et.... Make sure you have enough money before hand to cover the first couple months in case you don't get enough students signed up right away. A lot of landlords will give you the first month or two free if you sign a long term rental agreement. That could be good or bad depending on how business is going.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every school has a structure. This wasn't supposed to be about philosophy or motive. This was supposed to be ideas for "organizing" things. I want my students to "reach".. but if there is no organization then all you have is chaos.

Well let see when you organized belt test than you are assuming everybody learns the same and you relly do not care how well the material is understood, Sorry my point of views. When you are struturing so many in between belts it looks like you care more about testing fee;s, again sorry my point of views. If you are really trying to structure a school start with the program it self and what is going to be tought at each level, that is where the meat and potatoes are.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that was good advice make sure you can cover at least 6 months rent

Are you going to sell uniforms, gear, etc. If so set up a deal with whomever you are buying from. Remember that most adults are medium or large in stature but be sure to have some of all sizes.

belt with or without strips: both are good , the stripes show advancement more and many people like to know they are advancing
testing on a scheduled date or day each month or two is a good standard but do not feel that all that test have to pass. Are you going to say who is to test or are all able to test????

Make sure you have a good name thought out for the school and a good viewable location. A painted front window or one with large decals will help attract people.
You need to have room for the seating of spectators but you also want them far enough from the workout area that there conversations and comments do not distract from class.
How much decoration do you want in the classroom: Flags, posters, notice boards?

As far as who is an adult and who is a child: Consider also juniors between the ages of 12-16, maybe

Make sure when you find a place it has good restrooms and an area for changing. Two would be better one for men and one for ladies

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well let see when you organized belt test than you are assuming everybody learns the same and you relly do not care how well the material is understood, Sorry my point of views. When you are struturing so many in between belts it looks like you care more about testing fee;s, again sorry my point of views. If you are really trying to structure a school start with the program it self and what is going to be tought at each level, that is where the meat and potatoes are.

I'm trying to figure out where your getting this from my post

I didn't see any "in between belts". its the same system ITF uses.. I added in the stripes so that those who like to "see" progress don't get discouraged. The amount of time spent is the same. There are no extra belts.. its pieces of "tape". They do exactly the same thing as if there were no tape. It costs me pennies to do, and costs them nothing. You'd be surprised how many people will want to work extra hard for a "Stripe". I thought we were supposed to be motivating people to want to learn, not pushing them away. Its not "needed" per say. But its not really hurting anything either. This will also help me see where a student is at in his training, and where he needs to be in order to move up. It has nothing to do with not caring about my students knowing the material. They WILL know it well before they move on. I don't see the harm in giving them a little notification that they are doing well.

The curriculum will be the same curriculum as what I have been taught myself, so there is no grey area there. I will teach what I was taught.. simple really.

Testing fees and such are the last thing on my mind. I want my students to learn, and learn well. But I don't want them to quit in the process. There will be no "passing up through the ranks" at this school. I'm not sure where I said "everyone learns at the same rate". Everyone SHOULD learn at different rates, because we are human. I was saying, that by having regular intervals for testing.. I can make a bigger deal out of it, than just "here, here's your belt.. thank you come again". They won't test until they are ready. If noone is ready to test when "test time" comes.. then nobody tests. My teacher holds testing every 4 months.. those who are ready when that time comes.. test.. those who aren't wait til the next test.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly or something.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I have seen "a couple months" to "6 months" rent on hand.

I would suggest you take it a bit farther.

I would suggest that when it comes to opening any business (martial art or otherwise) that you have enough money in the bank to cover all of your personal, living and business expenses for 1 year and assume that not a single person will walk though your doors to write you a check.

Sure you might be successful immediately, but the huge majority of small businesses close their doors within 18 months of opening.

I would suggest, with martial arts at least, contact your local community center or parks and recreation dept and let them know that you want to teach TKD a couple nights a week while you keep your day job and save as much cash as you possibly can. Charge a very minimal amount and get yourself a decent base of students at the rec center. Once you have a good following and plenty of cash in the bank then start looking into a place to open up shop.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This will also help me see where a student is at in his training, and where he needs to be in order to move up. It has nothing to do with not caring about my students knowing the material. They WILL know it well before they move on. I don't see the harm in giving them a little notification that they are doing well.
Sylo if you need a piece of tape to remind you where your students are in there training then you my friend are not ready to open a school. As far as notification as to them doing well a nice job or I finally see you are getting it works for me. Sorry I am not rying to kill a dream but it sounds more like an aftercare or Mcdojo to me in your writing, if not then I apologies.

Testing fees and such are the last thing on my mind. I want my students to learn, and learn well. But I don't want them to quit in the process. There will be no "passing up through the ranks" at this school. I'm not sure where I said "everyone learns at the same rate". Everyone SHOULD learn at different rates, because we are human. I was saying, that by having regular intervals for testing.. I can make a bigger deal out of it, than just "here, here's your belt.. thank you come again". They won't test until they are ready. If noone is ready to test when "test time" comes.. then nobody tests. My teacher holds testing every 4 months.. those who are ready when that time comes.. test.. those who aren't wait til the next test

This I can understand giving people notice before a test is a good ideal maybe I just read it wrong, once again sorry.

The last thing that you need is a solid business plan and a student hand book with the requirements and rules of the school. Also if you plan on having a fight team demo team this all needs to be down on paper before the doors ever open so everyone is on the same page. Best of Luck.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I have seen "a couple months" to "6 months" rent on hand.

I would suggest you take it a bit farther.

I would suggest that when it comes to opening any business (martial art or otherwise) that you have enough money in the bank to cover all of your personal, living and business expenses for 1 year and assume that not a single person will walk though your doors to write you a check.

Sure you might be successful immediately, but the huge majority of small businesses close their doors within 18 months of opening.

I would suggest, with martial arts at least, contact your local community center or parks and recreation dept and let them know that you want to teach TKD a couple nights a week while you keep your day job and save as much cash as you possibly can. Charge a very minimal amount and get yourself a decent base of students at the rec center. Once you have a good following and plenty of cash in the bank then start looking into a place to open up shop.

I appreciate all the helpful advice. But, I think I titled this topic wrong.

I'm not planning on jumping right into opening a school. I was just brainstorming out loud more than anything. The "paperwork" side of it, will be thought out alot more than the "visual" side of it will. I'll start small and move up. I'm just mainly looking at replies based on only what I posted.

I'm trying to look at how schools do things, and how "I" would do them..if I was running the show.

Money saving advice, and stuff is great advice. But I wasn't really looking for that sort of information. I know how small business ventures work, and what it takes to get one off the ground. Thats why I wasn't focusing on that.

Sorry if my post was misleading. Thanks for the advice anyhow.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kind of school do you want it to be? Will it be a commercial space for which you are paying rent, or will it be in your garage or back yard, where you aren't paying any rent above your normal costs of housing? Will you ultimately try to make your living off the martial arts school, or will you keep a "day job" and relegate the teaching to something you do on the side? This can make a huge difference in how you approach it, because the money factor takes on a whole different meaning and level of importance, depending on your approach.

I'd suggest you read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Runn...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222205028&sr=1-1

basically, it's a business plan, with martial arts school as a focus. A lot of the advice could be applied to any kind of business, but they aim it at the martial arts teacher who wants to open a school. Some good business advice in there, this kind of research would be well worth your time and it may help you decide just how you want to approach this endeavor.

Personally, I think that as money becomes more important in the equation, often the quality of training suffers. If you don't need the money because you have a day job, and you just teach in the evenings and weekends, you are free to spend as much time with your students as you want, and it doesn't matter. You can charge a very low fee, just enough to cover the costs of equipment and stuff, and maybe even make a little bit of extra income.

But if you have a commercial school and your livelihood depends on the income from the school, then time is money, and you start to regiment how much time you give your students because you have a lot of work to do in administrating the business and whatnot. You cannot give away your time and effort for free, or next-to-free anymore. It just creates a very different atmosphere in how the school is run, so give that a lot of thought.

Good luck!

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This will also help me see where a student is at in his training, and where he needs to be in order to move up. It has nothing to do with not caring about my students knowing the material. They WILL know it well before they move on. I don't see the harm in giving them a little notification that they are doing well.
Sylo if you need a piece of tape to remind you where your students are in there training then you my friend are not ready to open a school. As far as notification as to them doing well a nice job or I finally see you are getting it works for me. Sorry I am not rying to kill a dream but it sounds more like an aftercare or Mcdojo to me in your writing, if not then I apologies.

Testing fees and such are the last thing on my mind. I want my students to learn, and learn well. But I don't want them to quit in the process. There will be no "passing up through the ranks" at this school. I'm not sure where I said "everyone learns at the same rate". Everyone SHOULD learn at different rates, because we are human. I was saying, that by having regular intervals for testing.. I can make a bigger deal out of it, than just "here, here's your belt.. thank you come again". They won't test until they are ready. If noone is ready to test when "test time" comes.. then nobody tests. My teacher holds testing every 4 months.. those who are ready when that time comes.. test.. those who aren't wait til the next test

This I can understand giving people notice before a test is a good ideal maybe I just read it wrong, once again sorry.

The last thing that you need is a solid business plan and a student hand book with the requirements and rules of the school. Also if you plan on having a fight team demo team this all needs to be down on paper before the doors ever open so everyone is on the same page. Best of Luck.

here, let me try to reitterate this again.

Colored belts.. if student A has reached a certain level in his form.. he gets a piece of tape on his belt. If Student B needs more work.. he keeps working on it til he has reached that level. If Student A advances in his sparring.. he gets another piece of tape.. and so on. He's still a yellow belt, and he's still a yellow belt til he's ready to test. If you have alot of students its easier to go "Student A is getting about ready to test.. he has his 3 stripes". Yes, I should be able to tell that without the tape.. but it sure would make it less confusing. It also lets "them" know where they are at, and what they need to improve on.

I'm not sure what your replying to about testing. So I cannot reply to that.

I don't see anything that says "Mcdojo".

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What kind of school do you want it to be? Will it be a commercial space for which you are paying rent, or will it be in your garage or back yard, where you aren't paying any rent above your normal costs of housing? Will you ultimately try to make your living off the martial arts school, or will you keep a "day job" and relegate the teaching to something you do on the side? This can make a huge difference in how you approach it, because the money factor takes on a whole different meaning and level of importance, depending on your approach.

I'd suggest you read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Runn...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222205028&sr=1-1

basically, it's a business plan, with martial arts school as a focus. A lot of the advice could be applied to any kind of business, but they aim it at the martial arts teacher who wants to open a school. Some good business advice in there, this kind of research would be well worth your time and it may help you decide just how you want to approach this endeavor.

Personally, I think that as money becomes more important in the equation, often the quality of training suffers. If you don't need the money because you have a day job, and you just teach in the evenings and weekends, you are free to spend as much time with your students as you want, and it doesn't matter. You can charge a very low fee, just enough to cover the costs of equipment and stuff, and maybe even make a little bit of extra income.

But if you have a commercial school and your livelihood depends on the income from the school, then time is money, and you start to regiment how much time you give your students because you have a lot of work to do in administrating the business and whatnot. You cannot give away your time and effort for free, or next-to-free anymore. It just creates a very different atmosphere in how the school is run, so give that a lot of thought.

Good luck!

The post I made, would indicate that the "end goal" would for this to be a commercial school, in a building in town. But it won't neccesarily start that way. I will most likely assist my own school, until I have the funds and everything taken care of. Like I said, this is not something I am planning on doing tomorrow. More a basic look, at what I'd change about my own school to make it more enjoyable overall.