Can anyone be a black belt??

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is just a question to get eveyones thoughts.

I have read on other threads about schools who are not in way of giving out black belts to just any one you have to be good at what you do to get them my question is can anyone be a black belt?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yes everyone can, they cost about $2.50 and I have seen many people dress up as Black Belts for Halloween.

If you mean can everyone reach Black Belt status in the martial arts, I have to say yes, I have seen too many schools that base promotions to black belt simply off of moneies paid, and not skills demonstrated.

If you mean can everyone reach black belt in every martial art, then the answer is a resounding NO. Some martial arts have standards that are far beyond what some people could ever accomplish, some are so restrictive that even if a person could manage to accomplish the physical aspects the other parts hold them back, and some arts are so secluded that people can't get the instructor to meet with them at all let alone teach them.

Even in TKD alone, this is true from what I have seen.
Like anything else in life, the martial arts and qualifications run the full spectrum to become a black belt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can anyone be a BB sure but the question should be can everyone act like a BB and the answer is NO!!!!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have read on other threads about schools who are not in way of giving out black belts to just any one you have to be good at what you do to get them my question is can anyone be a black belt?

I tend to be the maverick on the forum about topics like these, but I say no. It's just like the bell curve grading seen in American universities. By definition, a black belt should be elite, possessing technical knowledge and the physical skills to implement it. How many people that matriculate at a college or university actually graduate? About 65-70% that I recall from a story I read somewhere. Well, it seems to me, dan rank is and should be even more select, given that martial arts study is an entirely voluntary activity.

I heard once from a friend that runs a commercial martial arts school that he eventually promotes perhaps 1 out of 10 people that sign up for a membership to black belt. He freely admits his standards aren't too high too. They just seem to quit after earning 1 or 2 colored belts.

I've promoted 3 people to black belt out of probably 40 or so people. I do carefully select my students based on certain characteristics however, so I'm displeased my promotion rate is not higher.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's too easy then it's worth nothing. Why's a BB special if you can pay your fees and do a couple kicks and kata and get one? I worked like a dog at brown belt for years till I was old enough, strong enough and proficient enough to get it at 16. Now I see 10 year olds with one.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it's too easy then it's worth nothing. Why's a BB special if you can pay your fees and do a couple kicks and kata and get one? I worked like a dog at brown belt for years till I was old enough, strong enough and proficient enough to get it at 16. Now I see 10 year olds with one.

Same here. When I started there were no kids classes & I had to play with adults. I wasn't eligible to earn my black until I was 16 & had earned my 1st Red at 14. I was told I could wait or go elsewhere... but that was that. I waited.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

One of my instructors had a saying: "If you are coordinated and physicaly capable enough to feed yourself with silverware and ride a bicycle, then you are capable of becoming a Black Belt." The rest is just hard work.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes and no.

can anyone get a black belt from me? sure. I dont say "you cant do this, so you cant advance" One of my students right now has arthritic hips. He cannot, and will never be able to do a jump spinning hook kick. At least not any higher than knee level

I wont let that condition, that he cannot help, hold him back if the things he CAN do he does at black belt level.

Now, if someone comes in, and they let thier MIND hold them back, they cant get a BB from me. Never overcome their fear of sparring? no BB from me.

so yes, and no.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yes and no.

can anyone get a black belt from me? sure. I dont say "you cant do this, so you cant advance" One of my students right now has arthritic hips. He cannot, and will never be able to do a jump spinning hook kick. At least not any higher than knee level

I wont let that condition, that he cannot help, hold him back if the things he CAN do he does at black belt level.

Now, if someone comes in, and they let thier MIND hold them back, they cant get a BB from me. Never overcome their fear of sparring? no BB from me.

so yes, and no.

Well, it's your school, but if the requirements involve something a student can't physically do is it ok to let them pass without doing it? Your answer is "yes" and it is compassionate, but isn't it watering down the requirements some? I won't study a form that involves jump kicks for instance, because I can't do them. If I did go to a school that required them, I would assume I wouldn't get that belt. It is our right of course, but watering down the curicullum...well, it's your school.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it's your school, but if the requirements involve something a student can't physically do is it ok to let them pass without doing it? Your answer is "yes" and it is compassionate, but isn't it watering down the requirements some? I won't study a form that involves jump kicks for instance, because I can't do them. If I did go to a school that required them, I would assume I wouldn't get that belt. It is our right of course, but watering down the curicullum...well, it's your school.

But that's a rather black-and-white way to look at it. It's not the jump kick that is important. It's whether or not the student has consistent, applicable power that can be brought to bear in short or long distances with a variety of weapons (techniques). Given a more holistic perspective, you'll realize a single jump kick is very irrelevant when determining if a student is ready for a dan grade.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if it was something i thought was IMPORTANT, like a reverse punch, or sparring, or footwork, I wouldnt bend on it.

a jump turn kick? if i had my way that crap wouldnt even be part of the system. It is useless in a fight.

BTW- just a historical note, it wasnt a part of TKD untill the mid 60's. Jhoon Rhee never taught it in San Angelo, because it hadnt been invented yet.

so, no, i wouldnt let a jump turn kick keep someone from getting thier BB.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that everyone has to capability to do so, but not the will.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Can they? Unfortunately, yes. Should anyone be able to? No... at least, not in my opinion. Not if a black belt holds any real meaning anymore.

Does this mean that a particular style isn't worth training if one can't achieve a black belt? No.

In the same way that we can all enjoy a sport or playing a musical instrument, we can all enjoy martial arts. I will never be a very good guitar player, but I enjoy trying. I may never be a black belt in BJJ, but that in no way diminishes the value of my training or the benefits I enjoy. I could be a blue belt forever and enjoy it no less.

I think that the belt structure has been distorted and has largely lost all real meaning. "A black belt is just the beginning." Give me a break. That's called a cop out.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
To become a black belt for me the student must have, confidence,honor,loyalty,maturity,respect for him/herselve and others,good skills,stamina,good behavior,maners. As you see is a collection of human and phisical things.

Last year a 20 years old guy who has cerebral palsy since he was a baby earned his black belt afther so many years of hard work, Julio (the name of the guy) has fought all these years with his ill, he can't do jumping/spining kicks but he's so dedicated and train so good and put his heart in TKD that he had his black belt, he's a truly warrior believe me, almost all people in the dojan cried in tears when sambuim tied his black belt on Julio's waist.

Can enyone be a black belt? yes as long as you paid for it.

Can anyone be a truly black belt? not anyone.

Manny

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ultimately, it comes down to what you think a black belt is. There are ways to honor someone that also maintain the integrity of a rank structure. Businesses do it. Colleges do it. The Military does it. And it happens all the time in sports, as well. You wouldn't give someone who's been attending college for 10 years a degree he hasn't earned (or is incapable of earning), but you can honor him for his eagerness to learn, his tenacity and his hard work in many other ways.

Similarly, I disagree with giving a disabled person a black belt he or she hasn't earned (which isn't to say that he or she COULDN'T earn one). I believe this devalues the achievement of those who have earned their rank and it patronizes the disabled individual.

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting topic, A couple of points:

I'm 50, have a torn ACL, so will never even try any of the jumping stuff, which btw in my opinion for the most part takes lomger to execute. Over time I've conditioned my supporting muscles to compensate for the lack of ligaments. Omce I came back after the injury I did not let myself continue near the fatigue point as that would put my knee at risk. I guess my point is there are some things I can't do and won't try, my GM understands and supports me. In a few months I will be going for BB and will be ready mentally. I've come a long way, overcome alot of obstacles, and when I pass the test I will know that I deserve it. At the same time I know that some people, will become BB, basciallt based on "showing up"for 3 yrs or so, We all know the difference

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting topic, A couple of points:

I'm 50, have a torn ACL, so will never even try any of the jumping stuff, which btw in my opinion for the most part takes lomger to execute. Over time I've conditioned my supporting muscles to compensate for the lack of ligaments. Omce I came back after the injury I did not let myself continue near the fatigue point as that would put my knee at risk. I guess my point is there are some things I can't do and won't try, my GM understands and supports me. In a few months I will be going for BB and will be ready mentally. I've come a long way, overcome alot of obstacles, and when I pass the test I will know that I deserve it. At the same time I know that some people, will become BB, basciallt based on "showing up"for 3 yrs or so, We all know the difference

50? I remeber being 50. Torn ACL? Only one? Jumpings not bad. The landing is what gets me:) Also stopped the board breaking after left hip replaced.

Train smart.

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Earl, do you have one or more torn ACL's, btw, I haven't had surgery. yes , gotta say TKD is also tough on the hips, anybody have suggestions as to minimize the hip damage/pain. mine hurt on the outside, guess its the hip bursa, or so says the orthopedic guy I've seen who told me I "had" to get surgery and couldn't continue TKD. Sorry for getting off topic

Red Menace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The philosophy in the school where I train, is one that I have come to accept over time. A black belt indicates a student has fully reached a certain level of mental knowledge in TKD and has reached a physical level based on his or her actual capabilities and potential. In theory, a black belt should be able to win a fight against someone of their physicality with lesser training. It's not realistic to think that a 68 year old black belt is going to beat a 21 year old. Does that mean that the 68 year old should never earn his black belt? Personally, I don't think so. Having high standards is commendable but if only a small number of people, of a certain range of ages, can achieve them, then I would question if it's worth it. The analogy of a college degree is a bad one in my mind because that is mental knowledge and students are not held back by physical difficulties over which they have little or no control.

Latest Discussions