Youth Black Belts

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In 1960 our original GM was promoted 1st Poom/Dan....he was a member of Song Moo Kwan under the legendary GM Yong Sup Lee...he was 8 years old! He started training at 5....clearly they had no problem with youth BB!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know who that is but if he earned it and later became a grandmaster then he must have been an extraordinary student (a little skeptic but dosnt matter) Never met him so not my place to put opinion
However whether he a prodigy, most kids are not. IMO i never met any person 10 or younger quite that skilled, 16 is still skeptic (very possible if they are mature for there age but that's fair if earned it. Though preferred age is 18+

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know who that is but if he earned it and later became a grandmaster then he must have been an extraordinary student (a little skeptic but dosnt matter) Never met him so not my place to put opinion
However whether he a prodigy, most kids are not. IMO i never met any person 10 or younger quite that skilled, 16 is still skeptic (very possible if they are mature for there age but that's fair if earned it. Though preferred age is 18+

Sent you you a PM with his info....thanks for participating...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Remember Jake brown the 16 year old boxer?

Won again over the weekend gave up 5 kg on the guy.

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am the Original Op on this thread...long ago I forgot my password so I started a new account...maybe some of my old Martial Talk friends are still on here...Both my kids are still doing TKD and are 4th Degree BB...my daughter is a school owner and a real estate agent...my son is in the US Army and part of the World Class Athlete Program a full time member of the US Army Taekwondo Team...they have been involved in Taekwondo for 17 years...the best thing I ever did was put them in TKD

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am the Original Op on this thread...long ago I forgot my password so I started a new account...maybe some of my old Martial Talk friends are still on here...Both my kids are still doing TKD and are 4th Degree BB...my daughter is a school owner and a real estate agent...my son is in the US Army and part of the World Class Athlete Program a full time member of the US Army Taekwondo Team...they have been involved in Taekwondo for 17 years...the best thing I ever did was put them in TKD

Welcome back.

Is your son at West Point?

The West Point team competed at one of our tournaments a few years back....good group of men and women.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome back to the forum.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back, Gorilla.