Can a puncher beat a kicker?

OP
M

moving target

MJS I didn't mean it's hard to KO someone with a kick I just meant it's hard to KO someone with a kick while staying outside of punching range. Morise smith KOed him fairly close up. Most of the kicks you see traded in kickboxing matches are in close enough that the opponant could land a punch.

OP
I

InvisibleFist

I should emphasize that my question was specifically directed at TOURNAMENT sparring.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hahahahaha, here everyones arguing about MMA and street defence applications and all you were talking about was tournaments. Yes a good puncher can beat a kicker in a tournament EASILY, I've done it several times. In ITF TKD tournaments we get to punch to any target above the belt and I use to just wait for mistakes from aggressive kickers and pop them in the head and rack up the points to win. HOWEVER! You mentioned punchers from other arts, I don't think they would win. The reason I did so well is because I knew everything my opponent was going to throw at me so could have quick easy counters ready and was able to evade and block well. Someone coming from another art wouldn't have the background to set up their punches as well in my opinion. Every art has it's game and to transfer your skills to another game is not easy, you need to learn the new game. I'm still trying to get my Muay Thai game as good as my TKD one.

But why are we talking about tournaments in the Muay Thai section? They don't have tournaments..... they have fights. In Thailand Europeans come here knowing the Muay Thai game but dominate by using heavy punches to knock out all their opponents. So in that case a good puncher is beating good kickers all the time.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions