Sparring against Punchers

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kenneth or should I thank Bagatha LOL. Anyhow, it was really good advice.

Angus, I do know the back kick. I will put it to use :)

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like the common advice is, keep them away with stopping kicks (back, side, cut kicks) But if they do get in and they wanna punch swing a crescent kick up to the side of their head on whichever side they're punching, hard to see and not a good chance to block it with a busy punching hand, unless it's with the head.

Have fun, I'm doing the same this weekend, should share war stories later :D

F

fissure

white dragon is correct, under the new WTF/USTU rules package you can land to the back, just not on the spine.
WTF rules are designed to encourage (award points) to kicking tech. A puncher is at a severe disadvantage in a standard WTF tourny.Use cut side kicks (probably the only type of side kick you will see used)! fade round kicks and back kicks (jumping or otherwise) to control the misguided fool who thinks he can score a point with his hands at a WTF competition. When in punching range, use your own hands (you practiced TSD if I remember rightly, so your should have a decent reverse punch) by striking high on the hogu where there is little protection. I used to like short uppercuts into the armpit area as well - I'm just nice like that.
Bottom line is, if you can land 1/4 as many kicks as your opponent does punches -- your golden! ( just don't follow ANY of this advise out in the real world)!

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Fissure (thinking back to the endless hand strike drills in TSD), I can land a decent punch :D

Anyways, I'm guessing that "punching" gets less points than kicks, right? I know that head kicks get 3 points, low kicks 2, so I'm assuming punches get 1. I could be wrong, though. I never sparred in a tourny (just do breaking and forms usually) :shrug:

I did make use of the head high hook kick tonight. I faked or did a mid level side kick, and without dropping my foot, landed a hook kick to the head. I tried to use the side kick more in class tonight. You guys are right. It did work :) Sweet :D I'm also into the hook kick lately, so I'll prolly put those two together as a combo more often. I have to try the other ideas above also. Like making the first move with a hard kick, and follow up quickly :)

Fissure, I think I would make use of my hand strikes in the real world ;)

P.S. Thanks to everyone for their advice. If ya got anymore ideas, let me know ;)

T

TkdWarrior

PS. Thanks to everyone for their advice. If ya got anymore ideas, let me know ;)

ur always welcome laurie...i just thought u might need this...
http://members.tripod.com/martial_arts_tips/
btw put it in map u'll get oveloaded with tips to handle ;)
dont' just work out on couple of kicks combo increase the number

-TkdWarrior-

T

TKDman

Originally posted by celtic bhoy

If you know you are up against a puncher, be prepared to punch your way out of trouble. Plenty of feints and lateral movement until you can get yourself back in kicking range.

Just want your opponent wants, a punching game. If a person is a 'puncher' they are going to be good at punching. Most likely, you will not be able to beat that person at their own game. Focus on what you are best at instead!

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That would be kicks ;) I'm definitely a kicker. I'm not saying I don't punch, but 8 outta 10 times that I land a technique, it's kicks.

I think I will try to make the first move (push kick or side kick), keep them in kicking range, and load them up with kicks ;)

H

H@pkid0ist

try stepping to the side and delivering a good shin kick or knee to the midsection. Also it helps to step out push away at their elbow and do a few elbow strikes of your own to their sides. Hope this helps some.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hapkidoist,

Great advice and I love Hapkido ;) But I need advice for WTF TKD tourny, not a street fight LOL.

To all,

I have another problem. I got a cold! GGRRRRRR!!! Two weeks before the tourny. It's hard to breath during sparring with a cold. I can't last more than 30 seconds, let alone a minute and a half (the time I need for one round at the tourny) without sucking wind! What should I do ?????? Help!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"try stepping to the side and delivering a good shin kick or knee to the midsection. Also it helps to step out push away at their elbow and do a few elbow strikes of your own to their sides. Hope this helps some."

Helps with what? Getting her disqualified?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975

I have another problem. I got a cold! GGRRRRRR!!! Two weeks before the tourny. It's hard to breath during sparring with a cold. I can't last more than 30 seconds, let alone a minute and a half (the time I need for one round at the tourny) without sucking wind! What should I do ?????? Help!

Resting up couldn't hurt. Better to knock the cold out first (two weeks should be more than enough time to clear that up) rather than trying to train through it...

H

H@pkid0ist

Sorry K Kid, but im not much on tourneys. I ve never even competed before.

T

TkdWarrior

cold will take at most 3 days...so take rest...
-TkdWarrior-

F

fissure

Sorry K Kid, but im not much on tourneys. I ve never even competed before.
Nothing wrong with that - but your "advice" still doesn't help much in regaurd to Karate Kid's questions, does it?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If I may suggest, try the following. When sparring next with a trusted partner, focus on your feet or stance in conjunction to your sparring partner and his position. Specifically concentrate on the closed stance arrangement. In case you are unfamiliar with that term, a closed stance is when you and your opponent are the same foot forward, meaning both with left leads or vice versa. When he closes the distance to punch, step at a 45 degree angle toward the outside of his lead foot. His rear hand will then be 180 degrees or so from his original targets. This is also going to put his rear leg in a very poor position to attack you, his front hand and front leg also will be very limited. In order to regroup he will have to make major adjustments to his position. While that is happening ALL FOUR of your attacking limbs can make him very miserable. This works very well against a taller man who uses his front leg to kick alot. His reach advantage is snuffed out immediately and if he is not used to this approach being used against him, you may note a bit of panic in his movements or facial expressions. When stepping into this position correctly, if he is taller concentrate on keeping him in close and deliver body shot combos. If he is shorter, you can stay in close and rain axe / crescent kicks with or w/o punches or you can step away and get your long range back to keep him coming up short on his reach. When you step away, stay on the outside of his front foot where you are in a position to glimpse his kidney area. This keeps his limbs crossed up and keeps him from strongly attacking you as you back out of his range.

The really nice thing to see for all those who question TKD's street ability, is that this move applies to dealing with kickers, punchers and grapplers. It is a great way to close in for back attacks (rear naked chokes, etc.), knee stomps to their lead knee, kidney busters, etc. The foremost danger to you on the street, once in position, is the lead arms elbow coming back at you. Check that elbow with a palm or grab the arm to be safe. Shoes take a sporting kick and turn it into a potential killer. Like having brass knuckles for the feet. Please be careful.

Back to the fun in the DoJang. Keep your cards close to your chest, at least until you have this concept down. Once comfortable, this might help you enjoy your training more. If this is old stuff for you, I apologize in advance.

Best of luck in December,
white belt

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, white belt. But I'm no beginner when it comes to sparring (or MA). My problem is I had half of my weapons taken away from me when I went from TSD to TKD.

In TSD, hand attacks are allowed to the head. That includes backfists, ridge hands, knife hands, ect. I almost always scored with a backfist and/or ridge hand when I sparred in TSD. If someone came at me with a punch, I would get them with one of the two. Sometimes I used them in a combo with kicks, and they'd back away. It worked 99% of the time (for me anyways).

In TKD, there is no hand contact to the head at all. I can't use my old defenses against punches. I feel hopeless. When they come at me, I can't counter attack with a "pop" to the head with a hand technique. I have to figure out how to subsitute hand techniques with kicks, fakes, tricks ..... whatever works.

I hope this made sense. I sleepy LOL