If you could learn one new system what would it be

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by what I could read about Wally Jay's "small circle jujitsu." It "reads" well, though I've never found anyone within a decent travel radius to try it out with though. I don't even know if it is its own style, or if it i s asubset of specific skills in another larger ryu of jujitsu.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by what I could read about Wally Jay's "small circle jujitsu." It "reads" well, though I've never found anyone within a decent travel radius to try it out with though. I don't even know if it is its own style, or if it i s asubset of specific skills in another larger ryu of jujitsu.
I believe SCJJ was Jay’s own style. Somewhat of an offshoot of Danzan Ryu if I remember correctly, although he probably had other influences as well.

Reactions: JP3

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe SCJJ was Jay’s own style. Somewhat of an offshoot of Danzan Ryu if I remember correctly, although he probably had other influences as well.

Wally started in boxing when he was a kid. Maybe twelve or so. Told me he always loved boxing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a tough one. Capoeira would be close to the top, mainly as a route to improve flexibility/general athleticism. Pencak Silat's always fascinated me as well. And flying crane's style (Tibetan white crane) seems incredibly interesting to me, so I'd like to learn that as well. And the last of my top 4 would be tai chi-but specifically as a fighting style, from someone who's managed to use it as such without needing to rely on other systems.

So those would be my top 4, but not really sure I can pick just one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FMA guy I trained with also had some experience in Wally Jay’s JJ. We didn’t get into it enough to figure out how it was different from other JJ.

Mdwilson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would do Systema or a Japanese jujutsu system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
- wrestling
- polish saber
- MMA

When I will be too old to roll even with white belts I will learn something with less/zero contact like WC or Krav Maga. Just for fun.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a great time at the last one and I'd definitely come to the next one once the pandemic is under control.
I'll see if I can start the ball rolling.

When Ken Pfrenger was hosting it, we'd have it at a Camp Ground local to him. Probably do the same thing again and pick out a camp ground local to me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll see if I can start the ball rolling.

When Ken Pfrenger was hosting it, we'd have it at a Camp Ground local to him. Probably do the same thing again and pick out a camp ground local to me.
I've reached out the most of the regular instructors. They're interested but concerned about travel restrictions. One of them has said he's not traveling until there's a vaccine.

Personally, I'm thinking that it should be safe to make plans for mid-spring and beyond. The first lockdowns in the U.S. started late March. By mid-spring it will have been more than a year. It is reasonable to believe that after more than a year, the lockdowns would be rescinded.

I'm encouraging them to start making plans with me but we'll see.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn jiu-jitsu or krav maga that would be awesome and tkd but i want AtA style as my tkd because they have hyper class team

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah thanks @Mdwilson for reminding me haha, and would also love to train in a bit of Systema, more of a secondary art to compliment other stuff. Find alot of it fascinating, especially its breath work and relaxed, flowing, organic nature.

OH and Taijiquan! Definitely.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I had some friends do a seminar once. Lots of acrobatics from memory.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FMA guy I trained with also had some experience in Wally Jay’s JJ. We didn’t get into it enough to figure out how it was different from other JJ.
Well, that sort of supports the all jujitsu is really the same argument... I've not got enough JJ in my bag to even offer an opinion. I can only say that the korean-based stuff I started out with seems to have lots of parallels, but sort of like with a different emphasis stylistically. Sort of like, "We prefer Bam! to Twist!"

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Been in karate for a year, but I do want to take up judo as well.

I've considered BJJ... as if I've got striking and stand-up grappling covered, then ground fighting would be the final piece of the puzzle.

I was listening to a Ramsey Dewey podcast, where he stated that there's enough ground fighting in judo to where a judo black belt is equal to a BJJ blue belt in ground fighting.

If that's the case, then I'd be happy with just karate and judo.

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Having a black belt in Shotokan karate is great but if I had to learn another style it would definitely be BJJ. Having those grappling and wrestling skills would be a great balance. I have enough to defend myself well but having more training in that area would be great.

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Been in karate for a year, but I do want to take up judo as well.

I've considered BJJ... as if I've got striking and stand-up grappling covered, then ground fighting would be the final piece of the puzzle.

I was listening to a Ramsey Dewey podcast, where he stated that there's enough ground fighting in judo to where a judo black belt is equal to a BJJ blue belt in ground fighting.

If that's the case, then I'd be happy with just karate and judo.

That makes a lot of sense. Judo would be a good option.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Call me a weeb if you will, but I'd really love to learn no-nonsense Ninjitsu.