Looking for some mats

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking for a brand recommendation to purchase some throwing mats. They need to be portable as they won't be stored where I work out. They also need to be thick enough for hard throwing and takedowns (they'll be used over slab concrete). Don't want cheap, but don't want to give up the firstborn either, moderately priced. Anyone have any preferences or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was surprised to find mats available at SamsClub.com

They look like industrial quality stuff, but they ain't all that cheap.

EDIT ***

I was looking down the list of new posts ... and there is someone further down that list selling two mats.

* * * EDIT

M

markulous

OP
bdparsons

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to jump start this thread again to see if I can get any further recommendations.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get yourself some old rugs to put under your mats. It will save them big time. I train on concrete all the time and I collected a few throw rugs to use until I found some (free) rugs that are in good condition (not raggedy).

The cement will tear the mats and the mats will slide while grappling. The rugs are a must. :asian:

B

Black Bear

To my deep annoyance, 7*m is correct again. :(

Puzzle mats are awesome. Rugs underneath are probably a good idea if the surface is cement, as akja says. We ourselves have our mats over a carpeted area.