If you could learn one new system what would it be

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My base style is Olympic Lifting. I wanna learn boxing.

I know the OP said we shouldn't turn this into a style war, but the reality is that boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai beats useless Taekwondo and Kenpo. It's the same thing with grappling. Once you become a good wrestler, your only weakness will be against cowardly submission fighters who rely on cheap tricks because they don't have the actual strength to win fights.
Oh good gravy. Stop trolling.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why? Why should we be interested in anything specific?
If you can find something in your system, you learn from your own system. If you can't find something in your system, you look at some where else.

For example, if your major is the praying mantis system, you should have mastered the PM Diao Shou already. If you cross train the WC system, since the WC Fu Shou is exactly the same as the PM Diao Shou, you don't need to relearn it. You cross train the WC system just to pick up something that's missing in your PM system, such as the centerline principle.

I think the most valuable information of a system is in it's special training method. It's not the technique, form, ...

If you understand how to coordinate your punch with your front foot landing, you have know the most part of the XingYi system already.

Do I want to learn all the forms in the stabbing foot style? Of course not. I just want to learn how they train their kick.

If you like to drink milk, you can go to the grocery store to get it. You don't need to raise a cow in your back yard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

Expanded Bartitsu or a expanded version of combat sambo. (by that i mean, they have been altered to work better and constantly evolve etc)

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you can find something in your system, you learn from your own system. If you can't find something in your system, you look at some where else.

If you like to drink milk, you can go to the grocery store to get it. You don't need to raise a cow in your back yard.

And you shouldn't either. Raw milk will get you salmonella.

Don't be an idiot like Bruce Lee. The dude gulped raw eggs. It's a miracle his one-inch punch was powerful despite his terrible diet. He was blessed with Kung Pao genetics.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on my mood. Sometimes La Verdadera Destreza sometimes (lately) Jogo do Pau, sometimes Polish Saber.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I love when you post about weapons and styles I have never heard of. Would love to walk into a multi-discipline MA seminar some day and just have one of those on the agenda.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For example, if your major is the praying mantis system, you should have mastered the PM Diao Shou already. If you cross train the WC system, since the WC Fu Shou is exactly the same as the PM Diao Shou, you don't need to relearn it. You cross train the WC system just to pick up something that's missing in your PM system, such as the centerline principle.

I think the most valuable information of a system is in it's special training method. It's not the technique, form, ...

If you understand how to coordinate your punch with your front foot landing, you have know the most part of the XingYi system already.

Do I want to learn all the forms in the stabbing foot style? Of course not. I just want to learn how they train their kick.

Or - stay with me here - we might have interests that don't align with this. We might just want to learn something because....we want to.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That’s a good way of saying it. I will go farther though and say that you don’t need to add multiple training methods to what you do. That adds confusion when what is more important is consistency in your training into.

The specific training methodology is what gives a system its identity. All striking methods have a punch. How they train that punch, how they develop the power, is what identifies the system. Even if using the punch in a real fight is visually indistinguishable.

But the methodology is important when finding the method that is the best fit for you personally. No system is equally good for every person.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or - stay with me here - we might have interests that don't align with this. We might just want to learn something because....we want to.
All suggestion are for reference only.

A: What color do you like?
B: You may like blue color because ...
C: But I like red color because ...
B: May be I should say, "I like blue color" instead.

I don't like to use the word "I" in my post (self-center). People may say, "Why should I care about whether you may like it or not?" This is why I like to use the general "YOU" instead. But the problem is sometime people may think that I try to push my opinion into other's mind.

Sometime I say, "One should ...". Whenever I said that, I always felt guilty about it as if I was afraid to say something and hide myself behind the word "One".

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will go farther though and say that you don’t need to add multiple training methods to what you do.
Agree with you 100% there.

I don't keep multiple training methods. I replace the old one by a better one.

When I saw that

- TKD roundhouse kick (more detail) is better than my long fist roundhouse kick, I replaced my long fist roundhouse kick by TKD roundhouse kick.
- MT roundhouse kick (full body rotation) is better than the TKD roundhouse kick, I replaced TKD roundhouse kick by MT roundhouse kick.

The long fist system has tree kick training.

jump-tree-kick.gif

But I like the stabbing foot style pole kick training very much. The nice thing is I can train my foot sweep this way (I can't sweep up a tree trunk as in the above clip).

kick-pole.gif

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love when you post about weapons and styles I have never heard of. Would love to walk into a multi-discipline MA seminar some day and just have one of those on the agenda.
I keep telling myself that I need to restart the Recreational Violence seminars. We've had everything from Tomahawk, to Sword & Buckler, to CaCC wrestling.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree with you 100% there.

I don't keep multiple training methods. I replace the old one by a better one.

When I saw that

- TKD roundhouse kick (more detail) is better than my long fist roundhouse kick, I replaced my long fist roundhouse kick by TKD roundhouse kick.
- MT roundhouse kick (full body rotation) is better than the TKD roundhouse kick, I replaced TKD roundhouse kick by MT roundhouse kick.

The long fist system has tree kick training.

jump-tree-kick.gif

But I like the stabbing foot style pole kick training very much. The nice thing is I can train my foot sweep this way (I can't sweep up a tree trunk as in the above clip).

kick-pole.gif
You do the best you can with what you have. When/if you learn a better way, then do that. Repeat.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah he never answered my question of what Olympics he was in

I competed against Pyrros Dimas in the 2000 Summer Olympics back in 1991. I was 32 years old back then and in the prime of my life. On October 27th, this month, it'll be my 29th birthday.

Time flies by fast.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the best way I could answer this question is to say, I would be interested in learning under:

- Eddie Bravo and his concepts for nogi jujitsu.
- Saenchai to learn his ring tactics in Muay Thai
- Shihan Judd Reid to learn his strategies and training methods for knockdown.
- Kazushi Sakuraba to learn his methods on breaking down Gracie Jujitsu.
- George St. Pierre to learn how to he put grappling together with striking to come up with a system of fighting that bested some of MMA's greats.

I'm not sure how good these folks may be with instruction but I would certainly love to have the opportunity to learn from them.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I keep telling myself that I need to restart the Recreational Violence seminars. We've had everything from Tomahawk, to Sword & Buckler, to CaCC wrestling.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I had a great time at the last one and I'd definitely come to the next one once the pandemic is under control.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dang only just one?
Crap. I don't know. I'm very indecisive about it lol. I would probably want to learn something form either Indonesia or the Philippines but I don't know what.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The absolute top of my list is BJJ.

However, that list includes:
  • Boxing
  • Muay Thai
  • MMA
  • Judo
  • Wrestling
  • Krav Maga
  • Wing Chun
  • Baguazhang
  • FMA
  • HEMA
  • Etc....
Do you feel there is a good bit of overlap in BJJ, wrestling, MMA, and a little of Krav? FMA or for me Kali is a Lot of fun to learn.

Latest Discussions