Sparring against Punchers

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

I'm going to a tourny on 12/15. There is a lot of "punchers" in my dojang. They will get in on you and just pound away at your vest. I'm a kicker, so I'm useless when this happens.

My question is, what is the best strategies against these type of fighters? Mind you, I do WTF TKD style sparring. No hand contact to the head, and punches are only allowed to the vest. Which is something I'm still getting used to coming from TSD. No take-downs or hits below the belt.

I do have a few good skills in sparring, so I was hoping to use a few of those. 1) I'm flexible. I can kick to the head. 2) I have a lot of power for a chic. And 3) I'm a fairly good front leg kicker.

Thanks in advance.

A

artful dodger

Throw out a back kick as soon as they begin to charge. By the way, do your sparring rules allow attacks to the back region?
If you are sparring for points, make sure you kick while trying to get away friom their punches as well, so that you can hopefully counteract the points they just scored on you.

T.K
Desiree

T

TkdWarrior

dont' worry most TKDist can't punch that well :D lol..j/k
the way TkDist r taught makes them use their leg like a hand...
laurie u meant u r looking for drills n combinations??
these tech's r basically quick fix for a time being might not help agianst good punchers(boxers??)...
1. first change ur stance a bit...from typical TKD stance to JKD looking stance(i mean lead hand in front n back hand around ur chin or chest) in L stance of Tkd,
2. don't back down...but go direct linear into ur oppnt(while checking their kicks with ur lead legs)
(PS :normally i prefer circuling my oppnt but it'll take lot of time n effort)
3. never box with boxers ;)
4. fight on ur strength not on ur weankness, but don't forget ur weakness.
any question i'll be glad to answer..
-TkdWarrior-

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really the same sparring situation, but against punchers in general I tend to shift or circle to the side and/or duck a lot. Against a kenpoist, that actually helped since he'd come charging in, I'd duck out of the way of the punches and hit him while he was turing back around. (He tended to overshoot me.) That, or else I'd just side kick him when he was trying to close. That pretty much shut his offense down when he was forced out of punchign range.

Usually if they don't overshoot, I interrupt their combonations with punches of my own ASAP. (Major point at the dojang I trained at over the summer. Don't take "turns" attacking and defending.) After two or three counterhits, they tend to back off into kicking range.

That, and head kicks are at ideal range (for me at least) inside punching range. People don't seem to expect them as much. (Especially after a few punches etc.)

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Punching to the Hogul requires one thing, close range. Keep them away, and they can't puch. Rember your combo's. And nothing says you can't punch right back. Also, punches are a straight forward movement
normaly in TKD, try and circle around them.

T

TKDman

Yea in TKD you are pretty much a mass of jelly once they get inside... lmao. Unless your like me (punch like a maniac and end up getting kicked somehow). Try pushing off with your fists and kicking on the way out.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's my take, maintain distance between yourself and your punching opponent. Don't let yourself get caught up in close quarters and start to mix it up if that's not your strong point. Remember, your legs and kicks are your best friend in sport WTF Taekwondo. Also, don't forget when you are attacked to make good use of your back kick as a defensive technique.

One other piece of advice, judges in WTF Taekwondo look more favorably to awarding points when you make contact with your kicks/feet rather than with your fists. In my experience, if you're throwing and connecting with your kicks you'll be ahead of your puncher opponent. Finally, if you can connect with some head shots using your feet, well, that's the ultimate score. Think AXE kicks...

Good Luck :wink2:

Oh yeah, to answer artful dodger's question about backside shots, in WTF Taekwondo shots to the back region are prohibited.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice :)

TkdWarrior wrote:

<laurie u meant u r looking for drills n combinations??>

Yes, in a way. Maybe good "fakes" or combos some of you might use while sparring punchers.

Cali is right. No back shots either. It happens, but doesn't count or costs you a warning. You are right, cali. My feet are my best friend when I spar. I do punch, but just to "thump" (or push) my opponent away :D

Thanks again, all. Keep'em coming :)

T

TkdWarrior

"Yes, in a way. Maybe good "fakes" or combos some of you might use while sparring punchers. "
umm well i hav done it much in Full contact sparring so i ended up hitting boxer in thigh while circling aorund him hitting him on back, close to ear :eek:

punch come normally in 1-2 format(like jab n back punch), in WTF No Roundhouse or Hook so u can go bit easy...hav an opp lead to ur oppnt then when he comes move out in V deflecting any punch coming punching then in face or if u wanna use kick then go same but with a skip/slide n hit with ur lead leg(if ur lead leg is rite then hit with rite) this is simple routine which will take u in, give a shot n take u out(just with momentum of ur body)...
it's bad WTF doesn't use much punches otherwise u can connect some good body shot
as most of ppl said side kick will be ur freind... check ur oppnt before kicking... just push ur kick close to ur oppnt knee(not hitting), n then continue hitting him above belt
wat i prefer with side kick is check, side kick then hook all from the lead leg without putting leg down...it's easy to do n u can get some good speed in this combo...
-TkdWarrior-

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TkdWarrior wrote:

<it's bad WTF doesn't use much punches otherwise u can connect some good body shot>

I know. I was so used to using the backfist, because I did Tang Soo Do (where head shots are allowed). I almost always scored with a back fist. I'd fake a kick or something and land a backfist to the head. Now I have to get "un-used" to it LOL.

Thanks again for your help Tkdwarrior :)

W

white dragon

Under the new WTF rules shots to the back are allowed, as long as they're a certain distance from the spine, the size of the ring has been increased as well. You might be able to use this to your advantage?

I always try to "jam" the guy whenever they get too close to kick then either try to do a push kick or a jump spin side or back kick of them. Also try a cresent kick to their blind side.

A

artful dodger

Well. if shots to the back aren't allowed then roll on back kicks - at the very least it stops them charging you out of the ring. Just make sure you don't turn your head too far around, use your peripheral, then their target area will be majorly reduced.

TK
Desiree

P.S
Have to agree about the sidekicks, especially if your legs are longer than your opponents.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hehehehe, yes I have long legs. I'm only 5'8, but I'm all "leg" LOL. I will definitely try the side kick.

I have another question. What if I "thump" them with a front kick or side kick as soon as "shi-jak" is called? That should keep them at kicking distance long enough for more kicks (points). Or it might suprise them to the point that they don't want to get near me. What do you think, all?

W

white dragon

I always used to wait for the other guy to do something at the start of a fight, trying to suss them out, it creates a kind of stand off aswell. Now I try and smack the guy right from the start with with either a slip-sidekick or a jump front kick. If you can shaked them from the start it's often enough to swing the match as they'll get cagy about coming into you. Works for me as like you I'm mostly leg ;)

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you know you are up against a puncher, be prepared to punch your way out of trouble. Plenty of feints and lateral movement until you can get yourself back in kicking range.

People watch you as much as you watch them. You know they they punch and they know you kick. Do not risk being one dimensional.

Good Luck

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975

Hehehehe, yes I have long legs. I'm only 5'8, but I'm all "leg" LOL. I will definitely try the side kick.

I have another question. What if I "thump" them with a front kick or side kick as soon as "shi-jak" is called? That should keep them at kicking distance long enough for more kicks (points). Or it might suprise them to the point that they don't want to get near me. What do you think, all?

If you haven't read it yet, I would recommend following Bagatha's advice in her post quoted here. She is an experienced winning competitor whose advice is always a reflection of in depth and extensive technical knowledge as well as real life sparring experience earned in numerous tournys.

Originally posted by Bagatha

Well....Im kinda small, so when at all possible, I try to make the first move very aggressively, to just make the opponent respect my space a little before we really proceed. It changes with everyone. If I am unsure of their reaction, I will do a side kick for safety, but if I feel secure that they will just back up, I will try an axe kick. Sometimes though you know for sure that your going to get spanked no matter what, so you try not to risk opening yourself up as much, and just take advantage of what they give you. But if you think you have a chance, I recommed trying to establish yourself as the dominant person right from go. I think if you get 2 guys both the same age, height, weight, flexibility, and coordination together, sparring is just a big mind game. The one who loses is the one who got intimidated.

T

TkdWarrior

nother question. What if I "thump" them with a front kick or side kick as soon as "shi-jak" is called? That should keep them at kicking distance long enough for more kicks (points). Or it might suprise them to the point that they don't want to get near me. What do you think, all?
technically speaking that would reward u as "Shock points" ..;)
i asked the same question "why after sheejock we start to weave n bob n bounce why not just kick their *** outta here" he responded "yup u can do"... but later u'll be called as "Non sporting person" ;)
babe u hav 5,8 with u...wow...
Moral of story : Just Do It
-TkdWarrior-

A

Angus

One thing that always worked for me when the side kick and axe kick (one of my faves) failed was the retreating spinning back kick. I don't know if you've learned it yet at your belt level, but ask your instructor. Not only will it insert distance between you and your aggressor so they can't connect with the punch, but if done correctly you'll still kick them in the vest because of the extra reach. If you miss and they continue, then the non-spinning retreating back kick work well. :D

Best advice has already been said, though: get to them before they have a chance to attack you.

B

Bagatha

Originally posted by KennethKu

If you haven't read it yet, I would recommend following Bagatha's advice in her post quoted here. She is an experienced winning competitor whose advice is always a reflection of in depth and extensive technical knowledge as well as real life sparring experience earned in numerous tournys.

:rolleyes: Gimmie a break.

Latest Discussions