If you could learn one new system what would it be

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is for people who are established in a base style. What styles would you like to learn that you haven’t already.

personally as a Kenpo/Muay Thai guy I’d love to try Taekwondo.

I wouldn’t be in it for the rank progression but I’ve always been known as a kicker which for American Kenpo is rare because it’s not really a kicking system, there are kicks in it but not the big ones like in Taekwondo but I’ve always had decent high kicks and side kicks and I think Taekwondo would be a good supplement for me just to get some more improvement. Maybe after this pandemic bs has all cleared up and more gyms are open again then I’ll look into it or if we go to lockdown again my focus will be working on my kicking.

don’t want this to turn into a style war just curious of what people would like to learn if they do want to

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO all systems have merit. IMO you learn best from a teacher who has learn from many systems.
My teacher first learn karate, because Japan occupation of Korea until 1945.
Before and during Korean war he learn TSD and Hapkido.
He came to America and taught and learn from people like Bruce Lee.
But he is best know as a TKD teacher.
The system does not matter as much as the teacher.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Stabbing foot style will be my choice.

I like this training very much.

kick-pole.gif

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is for people who are established in a base style. What styles would you like to learn that you haven’t already.

personally as a Kenpo/Muay Thai guy I’d love to try Taekwondo.

I wouldn’t be in it for the rank progression but I’ve always been known as a kicker which for American Kenpo is rare because it’s not really a kicking system, there are kicks in it but not the big ones like in Taekwondo but I’ve always had decent high kicks and side kicks and I think Taekwondo would be a good supplement for me just to get some more improvement. Maybe after this pandemic bs has all cleared up and more gyms are open again then I’ll look into it or if we go to lockdown again my focus will be working on my kicking.

don’t want this to turn into a style war just curious of what people would like to learn if they do want to
if youve picked wisely in the first place then why would you need or want,another one??

its like having to two frying pans, you know just incase

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
New style...hmm

I am already, when I relocate, thinking of BJJ but have also been thinking about maybe trying some mma as there seem to be a few good places in the area.

But I believe MMA is more of a training concept than an actual style. Which is why I am considering it. Figure after a bit, I could determine whether or not it is or it isn't. At least for my self.

To me it seems to be a little bit of Kickboxing and wrestling.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a new system for me, but part of me wishes I had the time and energy to keep connected with capoeira. I trained it a long time ago, and interests eventually took me in other directions. But I sometimes find myself feeling nostalgic for it and wish I had been able to stay connected to it.

Time is limited, we can't do it all.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd be happy to train anything if the instructor's good but there are some that I'd really like to learn:

- MMA
- Yoseikan Budo
- Judo
- Wrestling
- Aunkai
- Boxing
- Shodokan Aikido
- Karate
- Kendo
- BJJ
- Any koryu system, even though I might not be taught openly as an outsider.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a new system for me, but part of me wishes I had the time and energy to keep connected with capoeira. I trained it a long time ago, and interests eventually took me in other directions. But I sometimes find myself feeling nostalgic for it and wish I had been able to stay connected to it.

Time is limited, we can't do it all.
I'm hoping to get back into capoeira at least part time once the pandemic is over. Unfortunately the arthritis and bone spurs in my wrists have gotten bad enough that most of the techniques which involve supporting myself on my hands are off the table. I could still do the kicks though.

As far as a new art I'd like to pick up, I'd love to study longsword at a good HEMA academy.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[
I'm hoping to get back into capoeira at least part time once the pandemic is over. Unfortunately the arthritis and bone spurs in my wrists have gotten bad enough that most of the techniques which involve supporting myself on my hands are off the table. I could still do the kicks though.

Nothing like age and hard use to get in the way. I know if I went back to it, I would never be able to move like I did when I was 25. I might still be able to have a respectable, though not amazing, game.
As far as a new art I'd like to pick up, I'd love to study longsword at a good HEMA academy.

Now that is a good idea I’d not thought of. I’ll second that.

I’ve learned sword and staff and spear, I am convinced it is good stuff and it gives me a solid foundation for legitimate experimentation. But some further training that is more contact oriented and hands-on would be great.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My base style is Olympic Lifting. I wanna learn boxing.

I know the OP said we shouldn't turn this into a style war, but the reality is that boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai beats useless Taekwondo and Kenpo. It's the same thing with grappling. Once you become a good wrestler, your only weakness will be against cowardly submission fighters who rely on cheap tricks because they don't have the actual strength to win fights.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't want to learn a new system. You want to develop another door guarding skill.

If this skill is what you want to develop. Which style does this come from? Do you care?

chain-punch.gif

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The absolute top of my list is BJJ.

However, that list includes:
  • Boxing
  • Muay Thai
  • MMA
  • Judo
  • Wrestling
  • Krav Maga
  • Wing Chun
  • Baguazhang
  • FMA
  • HEMA
  • Etc....

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It can be boxing, Sanda, long fist, WC, ...

To coordinate punch with your advance footwork is important. You train 1 step 1 punch, 1 step 2 punches, 1 step 3 punches, 2 steps 1 punch, 3 steps 1 punch, ...

If any MA system can give your this kind of training, that should be the one you will be interest in.

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score

I know the OP said we shouldn't turn this into a style war, but the reality is that boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai beats useless Taekwondo and Kenpo. It's the same thing with grappling. Once you become a good wrestler, your only weakness will be against cowardly submission fighters who rely on cheap tricks because they don't have the actual strength to win fights.
Lol you’ve got to laugh haven't you

OP
K

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score

So hey now kenpo is useless is it? Because That ain’t what you said in your dm to me

Latest Discussions