Bye, Bye TKD shoes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last nigh I took off the TKD shoes I've been using cause an almost torn toe of my left foot, I did jogging in the matt did the calistecnics,stretching and kicking drills with almost cero desconfort.

At the end of the class I asked one of the boys to grab the kickin shield to see if it hurts to kick with the left foot, I performed full power roundhouse kicks and dit it well, cero pain, so I did full power front kicks with the ball of the foot and yes I felt disconfort, at the end of he class I felt little pain in my toe.

I think I am recovering from the injure foot but I will have the shoes at hand if need them.

Manny

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Same thing the other night. Came down off a switch kick and the shoe bottom stuck but the top was soft and rolled causing my toe to take the weight. Snapped. Stood right up. I almost puked pulling it off and shoving it back in place. Gonna try Mooto Wings versus cheapest knock offs.

Dave O.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
All my life trained bare foot, and that's the way I like it, but afther the torn toe I had to wear the shoes to protect my foot, I'm not 100% heal, I think maybe it's gona take some time but now I can stand a ligh class without the shoes, don't know for sure if i will need them in kyorugi to protect the foot/toe from impact.

Oh Lord years came and ow I'm a 40+ years old and body starts to complain jejejejejeje.

Manny

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Me too but I realized if I ever do have to fight its not going to be a la Billy Jack. So train as you fight, and that now means wear shoes. Its much harder to pivot.

Dave O.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last nigth I train the whole class schedule bare foot and even we did kicking techniques usin the palchagis I feel no disconfort, I kicked the palchagi with confidence and it was good. Even that I will take things slowly.

Manny

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
:bangahead:

There's nothing like feeling the mat with your bare feet after having to wear the shoes! I'm still nervous with my toe and my balance is still a little off but I like training w/o the shoes much better.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on healing! Be careful that you don't reinjure your toe. I've tried shoes occasionally, but the rubber sticks to the floor, and it's worse for me (in the long run) than being barefoot.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Same thing the other night. Came down off a switch kick and the shoe bottom stuck but the top was soft and rolled causing my toe to take the weight. Snapped. Stood right up. I almost puked pulling it off and shoving it back in place.

Ouch! Sounds very painful, I hope you're better soon.

I wear TKD shoes for training in, because it's the lesser of two evils for me. The church hall that my TKD club trains in is very old and the floor is certainly well past its best (if indeed it even had a "best"). Despite regular sweepings/cleanings before each class the floor is very rough and worn and not good for being barefoot on.

I'm not a fan of wearing shoes when training (I'd rather train barefoot) but I'm not a fan of splinters and infected feet either so I wear the shoes!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Me too but I realized if I ever do have to fight its not going to be a la Billy Jack. So train as you fight, and that now means wear shoes. Its much harder to pivot.

Dave O.
I feel the same way as dortiz, if you have to use what you've learned in the MAs to defend yourself in the real world, then throw in real world training.

You're usually wearing shoes out and about when confronted by someone with bad intentions, because they for sure aren't going into your dojang to hit you up when you're bare foot right?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Dave O.
Aint that the truth! A nice, squeeky clean tile floor and a pair of sneakers can make pivots a decided challenge.

Daniel

Latest Discussions