Bruce Tegner Teaches the Girls

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing the humor here, but maybe it's just me.

Some of the moves shown here are still applicable today. Tegner was way ahead of his time, an early practitioner and pioneer.

Ed Parker invited Tegner to officiate at his first tournament, as well as Bruce Lee and other 'real' karatemen. He wrote in Black Belt magazine later (December 1990) that he invited Tegner because "Tegner's books did influence many to take up martial arts."

I see Tegner as a pioneer who indeed influenced many to learn martial arts. I've looked at a few of his books in recent years since taking up karate myself; most of the moves he demonstrates are both useful and still taught. If his feet were not quite right or if he doesn't always have the correct body posture, that doesn't make it ineffective, just perhaps less effective. But we know more now than we did then.

Last edited by a moderator:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen a few of his old books. very basic, but then he was writing them when Martial Arts were basically unknown in many country's.

I think Applegate and Fairbairn were better at getting things done for SD, but they were writing and teaching troops, not civilians

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing the humor here, but maybe it's just me.

Some of the moves shown here are still applicable today. Tegner was way ahead of his time, an early practitioner and pioneer.

Ed Parker invited Tegner to officiate at his first tournament, as well as Bruce Lee and other 'real' karatemen. He wrote in Black Belt magazine later (December 1990) that he invited Tegner because "Tegner's books did influence many to take up martial arts."

I see Tegner as a pioneer who indeed influenced many to learn martial arts. I've looked at a few of his books in recent years since taking up karate myself; most of the moves he demonstrates are both useful and still taught. If his feet were not quite right or if he doesn't always have the correct body posture, that doesn't make it ineffective, just perhaps less effective. But we know more now than we did then.

Thanks for posting that. He does look like he knows what he is doing in the above video, especially when we consider it was from fifty or more years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bruce Tegner was indeed ahead of his time. He also went to great lengths to demystify the martial arts,which at that time angered some. Both of his parents were Judo teachers/champions and he began his own training around the age of around 2, and if I remember correctly, he was the youngest Judo champion in the history of his state (CA). He trained military, law enforcement and private citizens over a period of decades along with putting out multiple books on various martial arts. I attribute Mr. Tegner with being instrumental in getting me interested in the martial arts. I still remember reading an old copy of one of his books in the back of my grandparents truck that I'd picked up at a garage sale. I have many of his books in my martial library.

Although Fairbairn, Applegate, Sykes, O'Neill, Nelson and others also had a dramatic impact of the self-defense systems of today, they aren't well known outside of military and older law enforcement circles. The WWII combatives system they developed is quite probably the most effective, brutal combatives system ever devised. It was simple to learn gross motor skills, simple to execute under duress in combat conditions and retained in long term memory. But many don't know who these men were or what they contributed to the world of martial arts/combatives/self-defense. Bruce Tegner on the other hand is better known as he dealt with the private citizen as well as the military and law enforcement. He was amoung the first to address dealing with bullies and teaching practical SD for boys and girls. And woman's SD took a BIG step forward due to his teaching. What he offered was simple to learn, practical and usable. It was exactly what it needed to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Tegner

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tmanifold/remembering_bruce_tegner.htm

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also think Tegner was, in his way, not bad at all, and certainly very influential. But his skill level in the striking arts was pretty awful. Check

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?101681-Ozzie-and-Harriet-The-Manly-Arts-with-Bruce-Tegner!&highlight=ozzie

I mean that simulated sparring is silly.

Still, they guy was a good Judo man, and was very important as an early popularize r of the Arts.

Well, they talk about how Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and even David Carradine helped to popularize martial arts in the media, which got kids into the dojo; Tegner was there first. I don't know how anyone could deny him his place in history.

We've learned some things since his day; but like a lot of martial arts, knowing and applying are two different things. If a person had only a couple good tools in his bag but could apply them at will, he could defend himself. He was clearly not one of those who preferred to adhere to a given style; but to pick what he saw out of different arts that he liked, could simplify, and teach to others easily. Not my kind of thing; but nothing particularly wrong with it.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, they talk about how Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and even David Carradine helped to popularize martial arts in the media, which got kids into the dojo; Tegner was there first. I don't know how anyone could deny him his place in history.

We've learned some things since his day; but like a lot of martial arts, knowing and applying are two different things. If a person had only a couple good tools in his bag but could apply them at will, he could defend himself. He was clearly not one of those who preferred to adhere to a given style; but to pick what he saw out of different arts that he liked, could simplify, and teach to others easily. Not my kind of thing; but nothing particularly wrong with it.

Yes, Tegner was indeed important. In fact, and a little know fact it is - he was the first or second American to create his own system, and thereby declare himself master of it.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, Tegner was indeed important. In fact, and a little know fact it is - he was the first or second American to create his own system, and thereby declare himself master of it.

Bruce would have to be far from the first or second American to create his own system.