bruce lee in todays world

OP
B

bassplayer

I'll try and post 'em up this weekend...if I dont, then after I get back from vacation! :)

OP
T

Troy Ostapiw/Canada

This question has been debated for 30 years, and I think it is safe to say that Bruce Lee revolutionized the Martial Arts, and was ahead of his time. I belive that Bruce would be too old to take part in modern day MMA, if he were still alive. Remember Bruce never fought in tournaments, but he trained many champions. I belive bruce realized that even tournaments were limited, still sport. Many MMA's are still sport, and are limited.

I belive bruce would have kept his training methods reality based, and would have explored grappling more indepth, as he continuded to evolve. Dan Inosanto, has said that Bruce researched Grappling, but in training they would not contest the ground grappling. In todays world people contest ground holds,
and fight through basic concepts, Exaples are BJJ, Sambo ect. Keep in mind Bruce was ahead of his time and probably would have explored other martial options. Keep in mind, Bruce was a very determined person, and would have continued to seek the truth, to explore and experiment. I belive it is the individual, and not the art that make a person great, but I do not belive he would have been the greatest ever, there is always someone better out there, but through proper training, research and determination, each person can reach their total potential. Bruce would have found his total potential as a martial artist, and this is something very few could say. Bruce Lee would have continued to be a leading influence with in the martial community.

Just One man's opinion

cubankenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody
When u speak bout the really possibilities of Bruce in these times, first u have to remember some things
1-In these times he would b older than sixties,,,so u cant compare times
2-Bruce was very intelligent, he was a person who always b reading, thinking, innovating and training,,he was ahaed his generation
3-Real fighting is not a competition, UFC is a good competition but u cant kick groin,use a finger jab to eyes, to break a knee or elbow and Bruce used those kind of fighting to win
In these times he were got better the Martial Art,,he was a great fighter and a great Martial Artist
Joe

sealth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well first let me say that the ufc ,k-1,pride and all the others are not real fighting .there are so many things they dont have to worry about.as someone else said bruce lee would not have gotten into the ring because of such rules.i dont think any of these so called world champs would stand a chane against bruce lee in a real street fight. to anwser the question ,i think he would have been one of the top fighters in todays competitions

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
when it comes to Bruce Lee i don't think that he would do something like ufc or sport comp. he always talked about him being a martial artists. eye gouges, knee, groin kicks and etc. he would be out of his element if you strip those options from him. his first line of attack was the finger jab to the eyes and knee kick. And him being close to 70 this would only emphasize his feeling of martial art not sport.

I don't think he considered himself a tough guy even in his prime. i remember that interviewer asked if he could break such and such amount of boards and he said jokingly that he would probably break his arms and legs.

live, dead, sport, art Bruce Lee is the man!

jst

White Belt
Reaction score
I've read debates about Bruce Lee in the UFC quite a few times. There are 2 variables to consider weight and age.

Bruce would be up in his years (even in the early days of UFC), but I think he would have his own camp like Greg Jackson and Pat Miletich.

If you ignore age, and just look at Bruce Lee's weight, he is about 20 pounds off of UFC's lightest division. I'm not sure Bruce Lee would feel comfortable adding that much weight; maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. Since money does "make the world go around", I would think that the payday for Bruce Lee and the UFC would be so much, that the UFC would open up the Bantamweight class.

In my opinion if Bruce Lee were still here, we would have even more movies (maybe still today) and though JKD is great, it would have been even better.

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This question has been debated for 30 years, and I think it is safe to say that Bruce Lee revolutionized the Martial Arts, and was ahead of his time. I belive that Bruce would be too old to take part in modern day MMA, if he were still alive. Remember Bruce never fought in tournaments, but he trained many champions. I belive bruce realized that even tournaments were limited, still sport. Many MMA's are still sport, and are limited.

I belive bruce would have kept his training methods reality based, and would have explored grappling more indepth, as he continuded to evolve. Dan Inosanto, has said that Bruce researched Grappling, but in training they would not contest the ground grappling. In todays world people contest ground holds,
and fight through basic concepts, Exaples are BJJ, Sambo ect. Keep in mind Bruce was ahead of his time and probably would have explored other martial options. Keep in mind, Bruce was a very determined person, and would have continued to seek the truth, to explore and experiment. I belive it is the individual, and not the art that make a person great, but I do not belive he would have been the greatest ever, there is always someone better out there, but through proper training, research and determination, each person can reach their total potential. Bruce would have found his total potential as a martial artist, and this is something very few could say. Bruce Lee would have continued to be a leading influence with in the martial community.

Just One man's opinion

Well said.