bruce lee in todays world

T

tkdguy1982

I wanted to ask something & see what people thought about this. If Bruce Lee were still alive, do you think he would be the greatest or one of the greatest martial artists around? Also, if he were to compete in professional fights, such as ufc, or any other kind of professional televised mma events? Do you think he would win fights or do you think he would lose?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he'd still be one of the greatest because he always preached to keep learning.

Also, he'd never compete in UFC or anything like that. They had all kinds of competitions during his hay-day that he expressed that he would never compete in.

I think that he understood the difference between competition and real fighting.

PAUL

OP
T

tkdguy1982

I definently agree, but say if he did compete in those kind of events, do you think he would win? Me, personally, I think he would win. Well, later.

OP
T

tkdguy1982

I hear ya, anyone else have any opinions?

OP
L

legend29

I think had he lived, martial arts would be even more advanced today than it is. He was way ahead of his time. His mind and body was one, more so than anyone. I also feel if he was alive( he'd be 63 ) people would try to make a name for themselves by trying to beat up on an old man . He'd probably still be able to take most...lol..

It baffles the mind to think what he could've become had he lived longer. It amazes me to think what all he accomplished in 32 short years.

Richie

OP
T

tkdguy1982

Very good post, I most definently agree w/ you. He would be 63, but like you said, I think he would be able to take most even at 63 years old.

OP
M

moving target

Well for one Bruce Lee was very small (130-140 pounds) so I realy don't think he could win fights against people in a sporting fasion. Nevermind taking his age into account (If you mean if he were to be age 32 today than I would say he would be a damn good fighter in his weight class if he wanted to be. I personaly have the opinion that a lot of very good athletes could have been very good at a lot of sports if they had equal exposure and commitment to that given sport as the sport they became fameos in). As to real fights? I don't think it's very wise to attack anyone who is a well trained fighter regadless of age, Deffinatly not Bruce Lee.

But I would point out that what we think of someone and what they actualy would have become could be two very diffrent things. When we speculate over the posable future of someone like Bruce Lee who was so tallented and so young, I think we tend to idealise what their future had in store for them, we see the best that could have been without regard to wether or not that reality would have been actualised.

OP
T

tkdguy1982

Even so, him being only 130-140 pounds, size is something that really doesn't matter in this art. Just because someone is big, built, tall, whatever, anybody can have bad days & good. I think Bruce Lee could take care of his own if he really had to these days. I don't think he would fight unless he had no other choice though. What does everyone else think?

OP
L

legend29

Well I figure he could hold his own. I feel he would be in great shape for his age. I do feel people would try to take advantage of his age though, more so than any other art. I mean I could go knockout Ali right now, but that doesn't make me better than him.

I feel Bruce would be still paving the way for individuals especially for older people. He is and always will be an inspiration to me .

Richie

OP
T

tkdguy1982

Very true, he probably would have paved the way for a lot of people today, but I say he paved the way for people back then also. A guy who weighs 140 pounds & can put you into a wall with a 1 inch punch, definently has my respect. Dead or alive.

OP
E

Elfan

I belive he has been called "pound for pound the bester fighter alive" and that sounds like the best way to descirbe him. He is (would be) very good, there would be few people his weight (and almost definantly noone his age) who could "beat" him. I belive he was asked in an interview what he was going to do when he was 70 and he replied "Man there arin't going to be any 70 year old that can push me around!" That said he would probably have trouble with Bob Sapp ( http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=4416 ) or comepting in sporting events against people who train specifically for them.

OP
B

Black Bear

Oh, while we're at it--who would win in a fight between GI Joe and Transformers? Regardless, Optimus Prime will always have my respect. He was such a great leader, and he gave up his life for humankind.

Come on, people. Who cares? Bruce Lee was a really sharp guy who was great at what we did, and advanced the way that martial artists think about combat. Who cares if he "would have been" the best?

No one even knows if he was the best at the time. When asked whether Bruce Lee had "never been beaten", his close friend Dan Inosanto paused a moment and simply said, "If you're going to go swimming, you're going to get wet." It's well known that Gene LeBell tapped him a few times. Bruce Lee would have learned a lot in the past thirty years, but someone else could still tap him today.

The answer, of course, is that Transformers would "obviously" wipe GI Joe off the face of the earth.

OP
L

legend29

We're not saying who would win with whom, it's just that we were talking about what he'd be like today. Some of us are just paying our respects for him. I'm not saying he was unbeatable, but in his element you would have to be on your A game. Ali once was asked who would win in a fight against him and Bruce and he replied, " if it was in a ring with rules then I would win, but if you went into the street then Bruce would win ." That says a lot, when Bruce and Gene Lebell would spar. If they started on the ground then Bruce was out of his element, but if they started in standing up a few feet apart, it was no contest. Dan Inosanto once said, "that he had seen Bruce spar with well known Karate champions, and they couldn't score on him." Bruce was gifted and should still be given some respect, even in todays world. I'm not trying to argue, I respect your thoughts into this matter. This is just a friendly debate. Again, I come in piece my friend !

Richie

OP
B

Black Bear

Fair enough. Your opinions are sound ones. But if you look at the very top post, yes it IS about who would win with whom. "one of the greatest"? "would he win fights"? I am more concerned with my own performance than Bruce's.

Peace.

OP
B

Black Bear

BTW legend, I'm just curious since you seem to know about BL. When I heard about GL tapping Bruce, I assumed they were sparring and he took him down. Is this not the case?

OP
L

legend29

You're right Blackbear my fault. Well ever since I posted it was not about who would win against whom . Also for the record Transformers would whip some G.I. JOE , and no one can knock Optimus Prime's leadership abilities...lol..just kidding.

OP
L

legend29

From what I heard ( again this how rumors start ) it was more like them teaching each other. Gene would give him insights to grappling, for an example: "There is no way to get out of such and such, let me show you what I mean Bruce ". Then Bruce would allow him to do whatever type move and Bruce wouldn't be able to escape. Then also Bruce would demonstrate something for Gene. Like I said, "from what I was told it was more like pre- arranged sparing."

Again I'm a huge fan of Bruce's, but he was not unbeatable, but it would take a heck of a man and some luck to beat him. Speed Kills in almost every sport ( reality or not ) and he had an abundance of it . I feel Bruce would also cheat if he had to, that was just the nature of him. Kill or be killed type attitude .

Some people get this big misconception about him from the movie, "Dragon, the Bruce Lee Story " this movie was off on sooooo many actual things. I have respect for many martial artist. I know I would not want to fight Gene Lebell on the Mat ( or any place for that matter ) and I wouldn't want to fight Bruce either. I'm a piece maker if at all possible..lol..

I do look forward to reading Joe Lewis' book on Bruce Lee's art, it is supposed to have insights from people like Bob Wall and Gene Lebell. This might end some of the rumors.

Richie

Latest Discussions