Boxing or American Kickboxing

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh sure, not my thread. Carry on with your very impressive name-dropping

You must be easily impressed. :rolleyes: Most people would assume that as a promoter etc in MMA I would know fighters, would seem very silly if I didn't, it helps matchmaking for a start.

Kickboxing specifically did not help much at all. I expected to struggle in sparring against the second level group and do well technically. It was the complete opposite. I could have gotten that sparring experience from any martial art with punches to the face.

I think you are assuming your problems are with kick boxing so it's led to you believing quite a lot of false things about it. You can't do it properly so it's not your fault but kick boxing's. The boxers are better than you so therefore rather than it being you at fault again it must be the magic style. You have tried hard to convince us it's the style not you that is wrong, that boxers are naturally better than kick boxers. I can see why you would believe it, much easier than emptying your cup and applying yourself to the problem. This is down to you and only you. You failed at kickboxing, whether you also fail at boxing it remains to be seen.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kickboxing specifically did not help much at all. I expected to struggle in sparring against the second level group and do well technically. It was the complete opposite. I could have gotten that sparring experience from any martial art with punches to the face.

If I may, what Martial Art did you train that got you into kick boxing? I'm not trying to interrogate you in any way, shape or form, honest. Just trying to understand the particular path you've taken. As a Martial Artist, former kick boxer, who's spent a lot of years training in boxing, I'm just trying to understand.

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I expect prime Mike Tyson would wreck Benny Urquidez, Bill Wallace, Joe Louis. Finesse boxers like Larry Holmes and Muhammed Ali would lose.

I that is so. Boxing gets credit for being the ultimate fighting sport, with some justice, but it is not the same as combat. A top-notch boxing goon could have killed Ali in a fight in a small room.

Karate's Joe Lewis was asked who hit him the hardest during his career, he replied: "Leon Spinks' sparring partners."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I that is so. Boxing gets credit for being the ultimate fighting sport, with some justice, but it is not the same as combat. A top-notch boxing goon could have killed Ali in a fight in a small room.

Karate's Joe Lewis was asked who hit him the hardest during his career, he replied: "Leon Spinks' sparring partners."

What is a top notch boxing goon?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Someone who is not quite as skilled in footwork as the very best, but who can knock out a rhino at close range.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone who is not quite as skilled in footwork as the very best, but who can knock out a rhino at close range.

Ah, those guys. And they're usually the most feared fighters in every weight division. At any level.

Latest Discussions