Boxing or American Kickboxing

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you also probably had was a misinterpretation of what they were sparring for.

If they're working on technique and you go in blazing with no care to form (in your own words "shouldn't I try my best?") then while they're sticking to their self imposed rules you'll 'dominate' them.

Different situation, maybe they would've floored you. Maybe they wouldn't.

You're such a contradiction though, on one hand you say that boxers are the best boxers, but then you say that you as an ex kickboxer are better at boxing.

You seem to have wildly differing views that directly contradict each other yet expect them all to be true.

You say the coach has nothing to do with it, yet you blame the coach for training people who can't deal with you.

Nicely summed up.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What you also probably had was a misinterpretation of what they were sparring for.

If they're working on technique and you go in blazing with no care to form (in your own words "shouldn't I try my best?") then while they're sticking to their self imposed rules you'll 'dominate' them.

Different situation, maybe they would've floored you. Maybe they wouldn't.

You're such a contradiction though, on one hand you say that boxers are the best boxers, but then you say that you as an ex kickboxer are better at boxing.

You seem to have wildly differing views that directly contradict each other yet expect them all to be true.

You say the coach has nothing to do with it, yet you blame the coach for training people who can't deal with you.

Why are you making stuff up? Technique practise is one thing, sparring another.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guys, you're arguing with four months of boxing experience.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, you're arguing with four months of boxing experience.
I got there on page three lol. This started with dude complaining that he sucks and asking how to get better now all of a sudden he is jack dempsey and the worlds foremost expert on punching biomechanics.

So many lols in one thread.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've met a few of them.

Incredibly nice people they were too.

Like hell would I pick a fight with one, even if he's asleep :confused:

One of my shift partners was a Gurkha, the other a Para so we had each others backs, great times. As you say incredibly nice people but don't ever let them drive a car, seriously, worse drivers ever! We had a taxi driver bring a sleeping Gurkha to us, the driver had tried shouting when they'd got to the barracks but he hadn't woken up. The driver said he hadn't wanted to shake him as he would have anyone else.

On the other subject, my father had been an army boxer, when he'd came out he'd got a civvie job but helped coach at one of London's boxing gyms, Freddie Mills was someone he helped coach and spar with ( Freddie is long before anyone here's time I think). My father used to bring me with him sometimes when my mother wasn't well, I learnt to box at an early age and he kept teaching me as I got older. When I got into martial arts umpteen years (decades) ago I had a good bit of sparring experience albeit just the punching, but the footwork was good. :)
In the RAF I got to spar with not just martial artists but also boxers, most of us were shift workers so in most sports it's hard to practice with the whole team or other practitioners of what you do so you make do. A karateka/kickboxer was better than nothing to spar with and vice versa. Twenty years ago I got involved in MMA so got to know more boxers who came to our club for the sparring, we help with regimental boxing teams as well which we all find great fun. And yes we try to persuade them to turn to the dark side MMA.

I have also seen an inordinate amount of fights between civvies and military, military and military, even civvies against civvies, military wives against other military wives, the latter is more scary than any other type of fight, trust me.

A couple of friends of mine run bare knuckle boxing fight nights, yes it's legal here, just not sanctioned by the boxing authorities. Kick boxers have a go on them, some do well some don't and guess what, some boxers do well some don't. Who'd have thunk it eh!!!!!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have also seen an inordinate amount of fights between civvies and military, military and military, even civvies against civvies, military wives against other military wives, the latter is more scary than any other type of fight, trust me.

I've seen just about all of those too. Thankfully for me it wasn't my job to get in the middle.

And yes, the latter is the one where stay clear and mop up after would be my tactic ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully for me it wasn't my job to get in the middle.

Squaddie fights were fine, they're just having fun and break up quite easily, civvies could be left to the local coppers and we just left the women to it. The worst was one at a Royal Irish Regimental do, a piper had gone onto the tables to play, one Irish wife took exception to the tune played ( sectarianism at it's best) so went to belt the piper, his wife belted her, the first women's husband went to separate them, so the other husband belted him and then it started like some amazing Western bar fight. In a corner were all the non Irish attached unit members and their wives sat with open mouths. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, bodies flying out of the marquee, getting up laughing and throwing themselves back in. The officers throwing punches at the men and the men throwing them back with great gusto ( esprit de corps) I believe it was voted a great success. :D

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Squaddie scuffles were never really much of an issue - they'd let anyone join in but the fights would generally avoid spectators and people that weren't interested.

Nobody ever seemed to really get hurt either, even when tables and chairs got involved.

There's obviously one or two that think they've got something to prove, like the one who thought it'd be fun to come into a pub on bike night and try picking a fight... Comedy outcome to that one.

The only time I've seen the start of military vs civ it wasn't the military guys that really started it, unless a few comments counts as starting (except once, but it started as a couple of squaddies between themselves, then got escalated by others).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Squaddie scuffles were never really much of an issue - they'd let anyone join in but the fights would generally avoid spectators and people that weren't interested.

Nobody ever seemed to really get hurt either, even when tables and chairs got involved.

There's obviously one or two that think they've got something to prove, like the one who thought it'd be fun to come into a pub on bike night and try picking a fight... Comedy outcome to that one.

The only time I've seen the start of military vs civ it wasn't the military guys that really started it, unless a few comments counts as starting (except once, but it started as a couple of squaddies between themselves, then got escalated by others).

My fiancé ( it didn't last, the IRA blew him up) many years ago was a Royal Marine, we'd all go out for the night and the civvie lads would start trying to goad them into a fight, after a while the Bootnecks would get fed up, take their watches off and get stuck in. I was chatting to Martin Stapleton a UK MMA fighter who used to be a Bootneck and was fighting on one of our shows he said that nothing had changed still happens though the civvies are probably the sons of the ones who used to annoy us.

I was just about to show you guys my jab... Then you had to make that nasty remark.

You know that this is boring now right, you can always tell it is when we all start going off topic.

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My fiancé ( it didn't last, the IRA blew him up) many years ago was a Royal Marine, we'd all go out for the night and the civvie lads would start trying to goad them into a fight, after a while the Bootnecks would get fed up, take their watches off and get stuck in. I was chatting to Martin Stapleton a UK MMA fighter who used to be a Bootneck and was fighting on one of our shows he said that nothing had changed still happens though the civvies are probably the sons of the ones who used to annoy us.

You know that this is boring now right, you can always tell it is when we all start going off topic.

Oh sure, not my thread. Carry on with your very impressive name-dropping

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was just about to show you guys my jab... Then you had to make that nasty remark.
Apologies, not meant to be nasty. Let me ask you this - do you think your years in kickboxing is helping you learn boxing?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just off the top of my head, I think you may very well be the first person I've ever seen who didn't think their prior experience was helpful with their current training.
Is the problem you, or was your kickboxing training that bad?

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, I think you may very well be the first person I've ever seen who didn't think their prior experience was helpful with their current training.
Is the problem you, or was your kickboxing training that bad?

Kickboxing specifically did not help much at all. I expected to struggle in sparring against the second level group and do well technically. It was the complete opposite. I could have gotten that sparring experience from any martial art with punches to the face.