Bouncer

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have toyed with the idea of getting a side gig of doorman or asset protection, just to try it out and see if I like it.

Sounds as though it could be exciting. But somehow I think it is probably long periods of boredom and short moments of excitement. ;)

It takes a special kind of person to be the only sober one in a room fill of dinking and partying people...The eye candy is another perk.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can handle both! ;)

Then you'll be OK..Quick story..I was walking my zone of this huge nightclub..The zone included a "quiet area", dim lights and diminished music..Saw a guy sitting on one of the couches with his lady..He had one hand up her skirt and the other was her neckline of her blouse..I heard him say as I waslked past "Honey, I wouldn't talk to you this way if all I wasnted was sex..I laughed so hard that I almost choked..

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have toyed with the idea of getting a side gig of doorman or asset protection, just to try it out and see if I like it.

Sounds as though it could be exciting. But somehow I think it is probably long periods of boredom and short moments of excitement. ;)

I developed varicose veins in my legs standing around waiting for something to happen. The nice part of it, though, was ample time to chat with the ladies :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a bouncer in the Boston area of Massachusetts. I am short (5'6") and stalky. I have been a bouncer for almost 2 years at a fairly popular bar in Boston. The 2 biggest skills that I have learned over the years are the ability to difuse a situation before it happens and the ability to let things roll off of you. You will get yelled at and called everything in the book. That is the nature of the business, and if you can't take being called an a**hole then you shouldn't be there.
This is probably the best post on this thread. 99% of a bouncer's job is talking to people. One other thing to remember if you need to get physical: in most jurisdictions, your authority ends at the door. I've seen a lot of bouncers get in serious legal trouble because they couldn't resist getting in once last shot once they got a troublemaker of out the bar.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My ex had all his teeth kicked out one night from stopping the wrong person coming in the club, his "gang" waited for him and jumped him on his way home, he put up a fight but there were too many, they held him down and kicked his teeth out.

Indeed. My sister works behind the bar at a club in Melbourne, and two of the bouncers there (on the door) were attacked with machetes. One was nearly scalped, with the blade hitting the top of his head and slicing right down into his neck, peeling the skin away, and the other sustained severe defensive injuries to his arms.

And to top it off, for one of them it was his first night on the job!

It's definately a job with dangers, and you can't afford to get caught flat-footed.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then you'll be OK..Quick story..I was walking my zone of this huge nightclub..The zone included a "quiet area", dim lights and diminished music..Saw a guy sitting on one of the couches with his lady..He had one hand up her skirt and the other was her neckline of her blouse..I heard him say as I waslked past "Honey, I wouldn't talk to you this way if all I wasnted was sex..I laughed so hard that I almost choked..

I would have laughed too! :) Or at least snickered to myself.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is probably the best post on this thread. 99% of a bouncer's job is talking to people. One other thing to remember if you need to get physical: in most jurisdictions, your authority ends at the door. I've seen a lot of bouncers get in serious legal trouble because they couldn't resist getting in once last shot once they got a troublemaker of out the bar.

Yes, Read and Heed..Once they hit the sidewalk LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! Call the local boys..If they are really "jacked up" they will get stupid with the responding units and you'll have the satisfaction of seeing them "cuffed and stuffed"..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another important item is to ALWAYS be alert when dealing with a potential trouble maker..They always seem to have friends with them that will grab the nearest object and rush in screaming for you to "not to screw with my buddy"...I had to set one of my bouncers nose when he was rushed by a jerk with a beer pitcher..The next week all glass beer pitchers were replaced by plastic ones..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next year I'm looking at a few jobs to tide me through the year, one of which is being a bouncer or something along those same lines. I'm a bit of 6 foot, very broad and quite strong, but my main question is what type of qualifications do bouncers need if any? I live in Aunstralia, and I realise most of you guys will be from the US or UK, but we usually model everything we do off one of you two, so I'm sure it will be along the same lines.

Also, what do the employers look for?

Just plain intimidating presence (being big and muscular with a decent "mean look")?

Or do they like actual martial art training?
If so, do they generally have leanings towards some martial arts over others?

Thanks guys
Kit

Looks like you've received some great advice! :) IMO, mentioning the arts may be good and bad. Good in the sense that you'll hopefully be able to defend yourself, but bad, because the owner of the bar/club, may think that if a situation comes up, you may use more force than necessary. This is nothing on your part per se, but because many people have a distorted view of the Martial Arts.

As for qualifications...I'm not sure. As for what arts would best suit someone in that line of work...IMO, I'd look for something that had joint locks/manipulation in it. Arnis and Hapkido come to mind. The idea of a doorman is to protect the establishment and the patrons, not brawl with people. In todays world where everyone is sue happy, I'd lean more on the side of caution. A joint lock is going to be effective by causing pain, but at the same time, its not going to leave a visible mark, such as if you punched someone in the face, broke their nose and knocked out a few teeth.

As always, if things are starting to get too out of hand, calling the police is the best option.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mmmm... I was thinking along those lines in terms of why you DONT tell them you have MA training. Sweet, thanks for that. Do you think 6 foot would be too short to have a decent "physical prescence"? As I said, I'm rather broad and am in the process of stacking on some extra muscle to amplify that, but I'm thinking that mightn't quite cut it due to the height...

Oh, and I realise it's not the safest job in the world but I think I was to try my hand at it.

Being large in size is a plus. However, it doesn't mean its always going to work. I'd say another big part would be attitude in general. You want to be firm, have authority in your voice, but at the same time, not come across as being overly cocky with the attitude.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another important item is to ALWAYS be alert when dealing with a potential trouble maker..They always seem to have friends with them that will grab the nearest object and rush in screaming for you to "not to screw with my buddy"...I had to set one of my bouncers nose when he was rushed by a jerk with a beer pitcher..The next week all glass beer pitchers were replaced by plastic ones..

Great point!! In a bar/club setting, where there are large amounts of people, getting suckerpunched, or in this case, hit with an object, the risk is high.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great point!! In a bar/club setting, where there are large amounts of people, getting suckerpunched, or in this case, hit with an object, the risk is high.

Mike

Yep.You must ALWAYS keep your eyes open...I remember pushing my Kubotan into the top of a persons hand as attempting to grasp a set of car keys in his fist..One of my "boys" was in the process of ejecting his friend for smoking pot in the mens room and his attention was totally directed at the target and not at his seated friend..

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was a bouncer for 5 years at a strip joint in Baltimore. I can't even call it a gentlmans club. Eventually I was in charge of security and when i hired a guy I asked him three questions:

1. What is your job as security for a night club?

2. Why do you want to be a Doorman?

3. What are the most important skills of a doorman?

The answers I was looking for were along these lines:

1. To make sure every customer has such a good time they want to come back every night.

2. I enjoy working with people and having a good time.

3. To prevent fights and disputes inside the bar, and if they happen to diffuse the situation as fast and as courteously as possible.

You should look at yourself as an ambassador of the club. Doormen are the first faces customers see before going in. You set the tone for the night.

Most importantly you are at work - not at play. You ARE NOT a customer and can't act like one, you need to be alert and constantly looking out for the welfare of both the customers and yourself.

Hope this helps a little

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. What is your job as security for a night club?

To make sure the customers do not know I am there. i.e. nothing goes wrong so they have to notice my size or actions. I am just part of the package for the place.

2. Why do you want to be a Doorman?

It pays well considering the qualifications. I enjoy people, but as I stated before they should not notice me, but just enjoy.

3. What are the most important skills of a doorman?

Reacting on your feet. Knowing when a problem might be a problem. Knowing when it is best to have a female ask someone to leave or when to be in place at a location to support others. Not just looking at your own section and ignoring the rest of the place. It should be a system, and the system helps support each other for the betterment of everyone, employees and customers.

Those below are good.

The answers I was looking for were along these lines:

1. To make sure every customer has such a good time they want to come back every night.

2. I enjoy working with people and having a good time.

3. To prevent fights and disputes inside the bar, and if they happen to diffuse the situation as fast and as courteously as possible.

You should look at yourself as an ambassador of the club. Doormen are the first faces customers see before going in. You set the tone for the night.

Most importantly you are at work - not at play. You ARE NOT a customer and can't act like one, you need to be alert and constantly looking out for the welfare of both the customers and yourself.

Hope this helps a little

Latest Discussions