How Do You Know It Works?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know my Kenpo works for two reasons:
1 I know my roundhouse kick works, because when the BIG DOG was charging at me snarling and growling and I nailed it with a picture perfect roundhouse kick, with just a little upward deflection, that German Shepherd FLEW about 10 feet, and didn't come at me again.
2 I know my self defense techniques work, because the morning after learning them, I get an unsuspecting coworker to attack me and I try them out, a tad harder and faster than in class...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many folks who question the effectiveness of the things you mentioned always want to perform or have them performed on someone else. My recommendation would be for them to volunteer to be the receiver of these moves when executed by a competent practitioner. Leave the cup and mouthpeice at home, sign a waiver, agree upon level of contact and step up.

Seeing and feeling is believing. :) IMO, some people are too quick to judge something or someone, instead of actually taking the time to seek out someone who has the knowledge and skill, who can show the person how it really works. :)

Don't interpret this to mean that "aliveness" and resistance training shouldn't be practiced, of course they should, but carefully and in a ramped-up manner. Training is a controlled environment that over time should resemble the uncontrolled environment of the street.

Exactly!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Mark, that with successful life experiences in personal protection definately gives you an edge and a reinforcement that you are on the right path. Like Mark, Rich and many other's here I have had more than a few work related instances and fortunately these have only helped to further my belief that what I teach is extremely relevent for personal protection skills. Nothing like a dose of relality to keep you on the straight and narrow.
icon6.gif

I agree with this! Then again, those non believers always tend to fall back on the, "Well, its not on tape" excuse. Sorry, but I havent seen a store security officer, CO or LEO walking around with a camcorder every time they get into a scuffle. :)

Specifics:

As to eye gouges as I have personally never gouged anyones eye's in a violent encounter but I can relate to multiple occasions when sparring of taking a thumb in the eye or observing someone else taking a thumb in the eye and it has almost always resulted in that person being unable to continue and on a few occasions a hospital trip. (very, very painful)

I"ve never gouged someones eye either, but like you, I've taken my share of accidental fingers/thumb to the eye in training. Same results...a stop in the action. :)

As to groin strikes well I have used that during the course of work (it happened incidentally of course) and also in training and it has almost always resulted in the person being incapacitated enough when accuracy has been achieved. :erg:

I've taken a few hits during grappling.

As always Mike you come up with great thread topics!!!

Thanks! :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personal experience (bouncer, store detective, finding humor in inappropriate settings, etc...) has shown me that the techniques in Akayama Ryu Jujutsu work for me personally and after action reports from students (LEO, military, MMA & self defense) tells me that the curriculum works for others.

I like Mark have used many techniques from the Shorin-Ryu and Combat Hapkido while on the job as a bouncer and a cop..They work..

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of something that happened around the hapkido dojang a few years back.

A couple of guys were working on some grappling.

The higher-ranking student had the lower-ranking student's torso between his legs, ankles locked, scissoring legs together to apply pressure.

Both guys were being a bit stubborn during the session — not wanting to tap out. I dunno, maybe they were going for more "aliveness" or something.

So the guy scissoring applied more pressure, then looks up at my instructor and says,

"So this doesn't even really work, does it?"

About that time they heard a loud POP as the other guys rib popped out of place, putting him out of the dojang for several months of hearing and rehab.

As pointed out above, no technique is absolutely effective all the time against everyone. Every technique can fail and probably will at some point for various reasons.

But on the other hand, sometimes you just have to take the word of those who have gone before you that a technique works. No need to maim your fellow students every generation to "prove" a technique is effective.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whether we know it works through training, accidental mishaps LOL or real life situations, all of these techniques/moves have been used previously and have worked for the various individuals who used them.

As stated here in one of the threads. It's not so much the technique as it is the individual performing it when needed.

Personally, the techniques I have used have been brutally proved and not always on the other individual, someone mentioned stepping up, well I have done that on more then one occasion so the troops I trained/taught would know what worked and what didn't, unfortunately now a days since those experiences, no longer have to step up LOL, thank God for that.:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jumping in on the thread late but to answer the question
"how do I know wha I was taught works"

I have been in a few street situations, mostly when I lived in Anaheim, and came out of them whole. Therefore because I survived them using techniques that I had been taught I would say that what I was taught worked. And for those that might ask no these where not all one on one and some did involve knives.

Latest Discussions