book set

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm practicing this kata right now, and I've managed to confuse myself. One of my blackbelt friends wrote down the main points of the kata for me so I could practice, but he left out the softbow hammerfist jump-360 hammerfist, and the double hammerfist move directly after it...and after that I think its the left reverse punch right step back reverse punch left reverse punch as you step back up in a sq horse stance right reverse punch... But isnt it the whipping backfists after that? I've been practicing it wrong all week and I just noticed, ugh!

could someone unsort me here?

This is the rough outline I have; The bold is a reminder of the main thing, and anything under that is more specific. Writing them like this usually helps me a lot... forgive my lack of technical terminology... (bathroom dance... hehe. what is that technique CALLED?)
Book Set

Standing Hand Movements
Right Side: Inverted eye dart, pull up, tension palm, pull down, tension palm, willow leaf palm, pull down tension palm , eye dart.
Left Side: Inverted eye dart, pull up, tension palm, pull down, tension palm, willow leaf palm, pull down tension palm , eye dart.
Right hand reverse punch, roll over backfist.
Left hand reverse punch, roll over backfist.

Bathroom Dance

7 L punches

2 reverse punches/tension palms stepping forwards

2 reverse punches/tension palms stepping backwards

Right wrist grab technique (cold hands!)

Left/Right/Left upward block/inverted punches

3 cover all blocks while stepping back

4 tiger blocks
Right/Left/Right/Left, last one bring right foot forward into cat stance

Hands of Death
Left eye swipe, Right Eye swipe, Left eyeball/ear grab, Right eyeball/ear grab, right foot step forward and pull them into your chest. Bring rear (left) foot to forward left corner and throw the body.

Elbow Smash

Stupid Swoop/Double Punch
Bring left foot to upper left so you are in a regular stance after this move

Right kick while left punch, set down, right punch, left punch

Upward Block/inverted punch to front left, front right, turn left and PASS rear left corner to rear right corner, THEN rear left corner.

Upward Cross Block, Right Hand counter grab, right foot dancer step, break elbow with left hand.

3 cover all blocks while stepping back

4 whipping backfists

4 double hammerfists

Blocking the Sun
Right upward block, right inward block while left palming to the groin, left grab while right chop to the neck

[FONT=&quot]3 tiger claws right/left/right into bow[/FONT]

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could help you Sam .. I've been doing panther set for over 28 years and I can't make heads or tails from what you've wrote.

Even tho we are from the same organization the verbage you use to describe the moves is totally different than anything I've seen.

:(

Sorry I can't help. But I'm sure your instructor will be able to help you solve your problem with it.

Good Luck ...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think book set is the Two-Man set, not panther. Correct me if I am wrong...

I never learned Panther, but I did learn one side of Two-Man. Sort of let it go, tho. Don't remember it anymore...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmmm... maybe I'm wrong about that. Trying to read the notes, it doesn't sound anything like the Two-man set that I can remember. Maybe it is panther.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that book set is a requirement for the Tracy's system. If my memory from all of these threads are correct book set was replaced with form 4. Panther set is also a specific for the Tracy's and two man used to be called Black belt set.

That's if being around here for 4 years has actually learned me something.:)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I believe that book set is a requirement for the Tracy's system. If my memory from all of these threads are correct book set was replaced with form 4. Panther set is also a specific for the Tracy's and two man used to be called Black belt set.

That's if being around here for 4 years has actually learned me something.:)

yeah, i think that's right, book set is Panther, and two-man set was Blackbelt Set.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, I did get it figured out, I also forgot the head grab move where you twist them down and smash them in the face with your fist.

As for the requirements, one person told me that my school is very odd, teaching things out of order of most places, and using moves that have been taken out.

For Katas, the requirements are

Orange Belt
Short 1, Long 1

Purple Belt
Short 2, Long 2

Blue Belt
Short 3, Long 3

Green Belt
Book Set
Mass Attacks

3rd Brown
Tiger
Crane

After this I dont know when these are taught, but its what's left

Long 4 (1st brown)
Finger Set
Long Five
Darkroom Staff Set
Skylight Staff Set
Staff Set
Sword Set

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I think book set is the Two-Man set, not panther. Correct me if I am wrong...

I never learned Panther, but I did learn one side of Two-Man. Sort of let it go, tho. Don't remember it anymore...

Bookset and Panther Set are the same ...

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's one thing you can bank on:

There's more versions of the Book Set than I can shake a stick at....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Here's one thing you can bank on:

There's more versions of the Book Set than I can shake a stick at....

I wouldn't be surprised. I think this set had a Chinese origin, not created by Mr. Parker. Many of the Chinese sets vary quite a bit from school to school, even when they are doing the same system.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Book Set is a Hung Gar Kung Fu set. Jimmy Woo taught the Panther Set to Ed Parker, only to be later modified by Parker to give it more of a Kenpo flavor. In Kenpo Karate 201: The Basics and Exercise Forms, Lee Wedlake (2002) clearly states that the Book Set was not a part of the American Kenpo curriculum. Parker dropped the Book Set from his general teaching.

Hope that helps.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
The Book Set is a Hung Gar Kung Fu set. Jimmy Woo taught the Panther Set to Ed Parker, only to be later modified by Parker to give it more of a Kenpo flavor. In Kenpo Karate 201: The Basics and Exercise Forms, Lee Wedlake (2002) clearly states that the Book Set was not a part of the American Kenpo curriculum. Parker dropped the Book Set from his general teaching.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I wasn't clear that it was from Hung Gar, but this makes a lot of sense.

I have seen several versions of Tiger and Crane, and in some cases they look quite a bit different. This is pretty typical of Chinese arts.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I may be wrong, but, I could have sworn that I read in a M.A. magazine many years ago that Mr. Parker found the book set in a book at an airport store, or something likr that. Did anyone else hear anything like this?

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I may be wrong, but, I could have sworn that I read in a M.A. magazine many years ago that Mr. Parker found the book set in a book at an airport store, or something likr that. Did anyone else hear anything like this?
The way I heard it, the Panther set was the form which Mr. Parker originally intended to feature in his book Secrets of Chinese Karate. While it was being practiced in preparation for this, it was being referred to as the "Book Set", sort of a nickname. Later, he decided to feature the two man set instead, but the "Book Set" name stuck.
Of course, I could be wrong.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Seabrook has it the way I understand. Panther(Leopard) set is the Book Set. I have been told the origin completely different from the other explanations. My instructor was originally Tracy and then first generation Mr. Parker. We do "Book Set" as part of 1st Brown requirement. It is told to us that the "Book Set" was indeed a chinese form and when it was taught it was taught out of a book written in chinese and no one could read it except the teacher. So as it was taught the students just refered to it as the "Book" set for lack of a formal name. Anyone else heard this version?

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I heard it was called Book Set because it was included in one of Mr.Parker's books, and therfore picked up the aka..

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If anyone's going to LTKKA championships in Vegas then seek out Angela Mcnamee and ask her about the book set. Tell her Amrik sent you :)

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would really enjoy attending , but alas I can't afford to pay attention... Has Mr.Tatum ever been in Ohio? I would like to see him move in person. I have been at seminars with Mr.Planas, Mr.Palanzo,Mr.Wedlake, and even Mr.Tracy. If he ever gets here I sure would do my best to be there.

Latest Discussions