Book Recommendation

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently bought a book about the back kick:
http://www.amazon.com/Back-Kick-Ach...9101/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/104-5530808-5102366

After reading through a couple of the chapters, I've decided to buy all the books in the series as I have the opportunity. This is exactly the type of technical information all TKD and TSD people can benefit from, and I'm just so pleased that the author, Mr. Shawn Kovacich, has made it available in a convenient format. If you're a old hand at kicking, I won't say you will find anything you probably don't already know or understand, but these books conveniently package a lot of kicking lore in one place.

So skip the pizza, boys and girls, and use the money to buy one of these books instead.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes he certainly have some wonderful book about proper techniques, well worth the money.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoa, Stoneheart, rep for you my man, for calling our attention to this great series! Looks terrific—just what the art has needed for a while: a grown-up, detailed focus on the numerous core technical moves of the art from a variety of perspectives.

I'm now gonna go blow a huge wad of cash on something that ten minutes ago I didn't even know existed... such is life in the early 21st century, eh?!

Thanks again!

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wade, do you not like the book? I thought it was very useful for my purposes. You can't learn to kick from a book, but if you have already had good in-class instruction, I think you can pick up refining details from media like books and DVDs. For instructors, a resource like this can help them prepare lesson plans and highlight some key points to make to their students.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, give me a minute to think this through. If the books are worth while to you then that is all that matters. My opinion in this case does not count. Terry and Exile are both very advanced martial artist and I was just surprised that they would endorse books that to me are so basic in concept. I was projecting my POV on this and I shouldn't have.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, give me a minute to think this through. If the books are worth while to you then that is all that matters. My opinion in this case does not count. Terry and Exile are both very advanced martial artist and I was just surprised that they would endorse books that to me are so basic in concept. I was projecting my POV on this and I shouldn't have.

Hi Wade—no offense taken, mate! I actually haven't seen the book. But I try gather as much material on this sort of thing as I can because, frankly, teaching kicking is about the hardest part of instructing TKD for me and anything which talks about basics along those lines could very likely help me help my students `get' it. A lot of them seem to have a gread deal of trouble figuring out what the differences in execution of basic kicks are, and I figure, something like this might have some useful instructional pointers... it's a gamble, but it's not that expensive a book, so if it doesn't pan out, no tragedy...