Bob Body Bag

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other threads about this but lately I've been using the Bob body bag at our school and I really think I'd like to invest in one.
I already have a Wavemaster but I like that I can see all the targets on the Bob. I can eye gouge and throat strike and even go for an ear. It gives actual targets to fucus on. I like to throw upward palm strikes to the chin and send the head straight back and trying to twist the head off with elbow strikes. After a few strikes I can slide behind and practice chokes and sleeper holds.

How many of you have a Bob body bag and what techniques do you practice on it?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other threads about this but lately I've been using the Bob body bag at our school and I really think I'd like to invest in one.
I already have a Wavemaster but I like that I can see all the targets on the Bob. I can eye gouge and throat strike and even go for an ear. It gives actual targets to fucus on. I like to throw upward palm strikes to the chin and send the head straight back and trying to twist the head off with elbow strikes. After a few strikes I can slide behind and practice chokes and sleeper holds.

How many of you have a Bob body bag and what techniques do you practice on it?

There are a few at the school I go to. I like them because as you said, it gives a more realistic target. Nothing wrong with a heavy bag, but with BOB, you have a face rather than a flat surface. Pretty much the standard strikes can be done on this bag. Jab, cross, hook, uppercuts, elbows, palm strikes, kicks, as well as getting in close and working the clinch and knees. Chokes also. :)

Mike

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
2 in the school here.
I prefer them about 3 to 1 over a regular wavemaster etc. For the same reasons, targeting, focus etc. I do wish they had like attachable arms though, just so you'd have to kick/hit around them etc. Or put up blocks and work on kicking through the arms, around, under etc.

SO yeah, Bob 2.0, now with removeable, poseable arms! Hehe, someone tell Century.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
2 in the school here.
I prefer them about 3 to 1 over a regular wavemaster etc. For the same reasons, targeting, focus etc. I do wish they had like attachable arms though, just so you'd have to kick/hit around them etc. Or put up blocks and work on kicking through the arms, around, under etc.

SO yeah, Bob 2.0, now with removeable, poseable arms! Hehe, someone tell Century.

Bob's a useful tool, though I'd recommend having a decent heavy bag as well.....

As for the arms-give it a few years and we'll have decent enough robots.Seriously.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, quite true!

I do have an Everlast 80lb'er in the garage, works just fine as well for conditioning etc. It's a litte more 'solid' so there's more work on wrist strength and other things. I think both definitely have thier place.

Imagine the cost of the Bob Robotic hehe. Whew, even with a school discount that thing would be spendy. But if we could get it to grunt when we hit it heheh :D

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Lol, quite true!

I do have an Everlast 80lb'er in the garage, works just fine as well for conditioning etc. It's a litte more 'solid' so there's more work on wrist strength and other things. I think both definitely have thier place.

Imagine the cost of the Bob Robotic hehe. Whew, even with a school discount that thing would be spendy. But if we could get it to grunt when we hit it heheh :D

Well, look here and here.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only problem I have encountered with BOB is that with some solid uppercuts, his head wants to come off. At first, it is just a little tear under the chin, but the next thing you know his head is laying completely backwards or is completely off. Don't get me wrong, he is a fun toy, but not a good thing for very intense training.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear you Jon, I don't use it for that kind of application.
I would think banana bags, regular heavy bags, speed bags, tire dummies etc, each have their place for the different applications. As I'd never do full contact stick work on a Bob, yet I would on the tire dummy. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bob's made a little tougher, but no matter how they make it, if it's head is going to 'look' realistic, it'll have a weak point under the chin.
I do find that it takes body shots with impunity, but yeah, that head flops around when you lay some pain on it. I've done palm heels on them that, if it were a human, it would have been the head just ripping off. We just don't move that way heh.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
2 in the school here.
I prefer them about 3 to 1 over a regular wavemaster etc. For the same reasons, targeting, focus etc.

I'd agree with this. Amazing how accurate my strikes are in the air, but on BOB, I lose some of that accuracy. :rolleyes:

Great for teaching, also, if that's a concern for you. :)

OP
INDYFIGHTER

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that's the first I've heard of anyone losing there head. :)
I can see where after repeated abuse the head could weaken and tear.

Thanks for the info and comments!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have one BOB and one Bobby (BOB JR.) for the kids. Although, I think they should make an adult size BOB just for kids which is the lower half of the body from the waist down, since that is primarily what they'd be hitting if an adult was trying to abduct them.
:btg:

I wouldn't recommend using full contact on BOB. Why tear up something that costs so much when you can do that on cheaper equipment which is more sturdy. BOB is more for realistic Targeting, accuracy of strikes, and getting the feel for hitting a human figure.

:idea:
I'm going to invent a NEW BOB! He will have hair so you can grab it and pull his head down into your upward knee strike. It will have arms and legs so you can break its knees (re-breakable joints).

You can kick it in the groin and it's eyes will water. :wah:
Side-kick him in the stomach and he will puke on you! :barf:

Fill it with fake blood from a halloween kit and watch it bleed from the nose, mouth and ears as you whale on him. It will have a sound sensor so that when you "KIHAP" real loud, he wets his pants! :eek:

Then, I think the head should be made like those Rock 'em - Sock 'em Robots so that when you hit him in the chin, the head pops up!

Do I have any orders?? Go to your shopping cart, and click on
"Bleeding, Puking, Peeing, Pop-up BOB!" :aoyagi:

:lol:

CM D.J. Eisenhart