Bo

Tatsuya

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't see a better category under which to post this topic. But, I was wondering if anybody knows the general rule about sizing a bo (staff). I've heard a few different things being; it should be as high as up to the user's chin, the user's eyebrow, as tall as the user, or two inches taller than the user. If anybody knows a general rule, it would be appreciated.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Typically, I use the same as heighth to no more than 4 inches over your heighth. Problem with that is there are many Americans that are taller than 6 foot tall. I, myself, am 6' 4" and I use a 6 foot bo. You should use what is comfortable.

Do you train with the bo currently?

Are you planning on getting a custom bo? If not, most are a standard 6'.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our style always says right above the eyebrow. It should not be taller than you are at any point though.

AoG

OP
Tatsuya

Tatsuya

White Belt
Reaction score
The bo would actually be for my friend, and not custom made. But I am going to try to have one ordered for him by Christmas, since he really wants to learn to use it. Personally, I'm more interested in the free-handed aspects of snake and hung gar kung fu. Thank you for the replies, though. I think I know what size to get now.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, NO rules on the lenght...it is what your school requires. For us lenght is same height as we are. (longer or shorter OK too).

Keep in mind the type of material you will be using, the weights, strength,shape, thickness , research this more....

Some styles do practice with very long bo's or spears. and short one's too. (4 foot approzx).

Have fun with it...this type of weapon can always be found anywhere ..brooms , mops...sticks..long items (lamps), pipes, and so on..Aloha

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love bo's and Hanbo's. Our Bo staffs are usually 6'. I had a few handcrafted octagon Ash bo's I fell in love with, but have lost them to other MA's over the years (I'll give them to somebody at a seminar or training sessions.) Have to go get a few more now that I think about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a very, very rough rule of thumb, I recommend that the bo be somewhere in the same neighborhood of your own height, give or take 3 inches.

This is for your "average" person. I realize that there are many people who may have longer or shorter arms, or perhaps they simply prefer a certain length. Other times, perhaps people who want more dense woods, such as Jatoba, Purpleheart, Ipe, etc., may want a slightly shorter bo, since it's going to weigh more. Then again, maybe they want it longer AND heavier.

I can't argue with any of those reasons, and in the end, it's really up to the user's preference.

I can, however, get them somewhat comfortable, so that the length isn't the main issue. If I see someone struggling with a bo that's too long, I'll recommend they get it cut, or that if theirs is too short, then they should relegate that one to becoming a jo, and get a new bo that fits them.

OP
Tatsuya

Tatsuya

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, well my friend is probably about 5'8" and I think is around 5'4" to his eyebrows. Eyebrow height I believe is what he's always gone by. As far as weight, he'd probably prefer a lighter one, although he wants one of the Chinese types with steel tips, which I'm having difficulty finding anywhere. But if he's going by eyebrow height at 5'4" would it likely be better to go with 5½' or just 5' ?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, well my friend is probably about 5'8" and I think is around 5'4" to his eyebrows. Eyebrow height I believe is what he's always gone by. As far as weight, he'd probably prefer a lighter one, although he wants one of the Chinese types with steel tips, which I'm having difficulty finding anywhere. But if he's going by eyebrow height at 5'4" would it likely be better to go with 5½' or just 5' ?

In that case, I'd recommend him trying your ordinary 6' bo, and cutting it down to 5.5' if need be.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what your friends objective is.
If he's planning on learning to use it for demonstrations, forms, or any artistic purposes, he's better off getting it as closely tailored to suit him as possbile.
Whereas if he wants to learn to use it as a weapon, he should practive with as manyb different sizes and length staffs as he can, so that he can better adapt to them.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was training Sil Lum Kung Fu we trained with "bo" staff's. (I know, Japanese term, we just called it a staff but it looked like what I think of as a bo staff). My sifu said ideally it should be at about eyebrow height but if we were comfortable with a longer staff that was fine too. I found in using both lengths I could manipulate the staff about eyebrow height much more comfortably and accurately.

Now, the Southern Mantis I'm training uses a very long staff. I haven't trained with it yet, but I do know it is used in a much different manner than the staff I trained with in Sil Lum. So it probably boils down to how you intend on using it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes, it depends on the stick system you're learning, too. I've learned forms and systems with sticks ranging from shoulder height to extending the full reach over the head (stand up straight, raise your arm and the stick should be about that long). And, just to hit the other end of the formula -- I've learned fist sticks, too, that are only slightly longer than the width of your palm.

Your teacher is probably the best guide for stick length.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Since you are using the terminology 'Bo" I am assuming it is for a Japanese style and I cannot answer teh question for Japanese styles.

Therefore what I am about to say msy matter little.

If you are talking a Chinese style it depends on the style.

Tai chi and Wing Chun have an incredibly long staff but some tai Chi styles use a fairly short staff.

Xingyi uses a medium length (eye brow) staff and if you are using it for Wushu it tends to be 6 foot long. Many Chinese styles traditionally use a white wax staff (wooden)

And there is a staff with metal caps on both ends but I have only seen that associated with Xingyi and it is an eyebrow staff if I remember correctly and not used much.

OP
Tatsuya

Tatsuya

White Belt
Reaction score
I think he wants to learn both Chinese and Japanese style fighting at one point or another. Initially, I think he'll be learning with a Japanese method, but ultimately intends to study eagle claw, which I know has its own staff forms. I ended up finding the metal tipped staff I was looking for and I appreciate everyone's input here. Especially since all of your different perspectives will be helpful in my own martial arts training in the future, as I do intend to study a few different styles beyond just the tae kuk mu sul which I've done for a few years now.

Latest Discussions