Block Set insertion

D

dcence

Yadda, yadda, -- flamethrowers aside, who else has some interesting shtuff re blocking set.

Besides the obviously hidden vertical outward block between inward and outward extended, what else is there, obvious to some, not so obvious to us others?

There is the back elbow block that I already mentioned. Elbows that act as blocks are quite effective.

An alternative, look at what the forearms are doing in the last couple of blocks. For example on the back elbow -- this can be done as a hanging backknuckle block/strike to a low thrusting strike to the kidney.

With the palm heel pushdown, use the forearm to divert a low thrusting strike to the abdomen, like a knife or club thrust.

I like the flow of the Blocking Set from high zone (upward block), to lower zone (inward/outwards), to even lower (downward inward) to even lower still, (downwards/palm heel push down). There is an intended progression there that makes some sense. Not that variation is bad.

I like practicing the sequence in a neutral bow where each of the blocks go out on the diagonals. The pattern creates a triangle with you behind the point. Use the rear hand to check, strike, etc.

I liked Tatum showing the proper deflecting angle of the downward block because if you do that block to 3:00 in a horse it is really out of alignment if you step back into a neutral bow. (See, it isn't so hard to say something nice about another instructor.)

Also, exchange the blocks for parries and see what angle and method of execution differences there are.

Put a club in your hand and see what you would do with it. Now a knife.

Lay on your back and do blocking set with your foot. (Front kick, inward crescent, outward crescent, [roll to side] stiff leg heel kick, roundhouse, side kick).

There is way too much there to waste time flaming over the trivial.

Derek

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiatsu

All of the technical aspects had already been discusswed. When you wanted to make ill comments towards the way other people do things. I don't know either one of you. But the petty bickering between organizations is almost to the point of foolishness.

Do you have something technical to contribute to this debate? Looks like opolitical pot-stirring to me.

Originally posted by Fastmover

I think Clyde is just a "homeboy" cheering for the home team. He is no different then anyone else out there in that regards.

At least he comes ready for the job, he has the long locks of
hair and a Pink Gi.

No offense Clyde........your not the best looking cheerleader
I have seen.

Of course Im just having fun and trying to lighten things up

:lol: Ha Ha Ha! :lol:

Originally posted by dcence

Your statement leads me to believe that you don't do the VO between the inward and outward extended. It is simply a matter of returning motion and is already there without the slightest change. Have you not been taught this before?

I think the point was to isolate invididual blocks and applications without disturbing the flow of motion between you and and your partner during it's practice... I will concede, there can be a vertical outward block inserted between the inward and outward blocks, but doing so would effect the continuity of the drill.

Originally posted by satans.barber

I'm not so sure adding that block in is a good idea. When teaching people to do a back elbow (in, for example, Obscure Wing), it can be quite hard to condition them to do it from point of origin, i.e. having their palm resting on or about the thigh, and then bringing the elbow straight backwards into the sternum.

I don't think it's a bad idea, just a different way of approaching it. If someone threw a punch at me from the front and I had to block it with a vertical outward, then be inclined to execute a back elbow to an attacker from behind this interpetation would work fine for me. Hell, it would add a little gravitational marriage to the elbow strike wouldn't it?

Now if I had to execute a pushdown block to the front and an elbow to the back... I would not lift my arm all the way to a vertical outward to a new point of origin without having a good reason to do so (see the example above).

Just some of my thoughts on the matter.

S

Shiatsu

I never thought of doing it with a club, although I will try it tonight. Forearm blocks are what we were taught in the beginning it then moved to brush and parry blocks. We were taught. Upper x block, downward push block, right outward block, left outward block, right inward block, left inward block, right down block left down block. As we moved up in rank, we went to simple parry/palm and knife hand blocks, with exception of the x block.:asian:

D

dcence

I think the point was to isolate invididual blocks and applications without disturbing the flow of motion between you and and your partner during it's practice... I will concede, there can be a verticle outward block inserted between the inward and outward blocks, but doing so would effect the continuity of the drill.

Exactly right, ZD. I tried to be as clear as possible -- DO NOT PAUSE ON THE TRANSITIONAL VERTICAL OUTWARD BLOCK. It is there in the passing between the inward and outward extended. It should not be emphasized. Just see it like you would see someone on the side of the road as you drive by -- don't slam on the breaks and disrupt traffic (unless she is really hot).

Derek

D

dcence

Most everyone knows about doing the forward motion with one arm while doing the reverse with the opposite arm, from Blocking Set 2.

Try chasing the blocks through the sequence. Right upward/right inward with left upward/right outward with left inward/ ..... Just some coordination drills to keep you busy when things are slow.

Derek

S

Shiatsu

I was just stating the way we do it. We don't have a bunch of blocking sets. That is our first one, then as I stated we go to the softer ones. We aren't one for thousands of drills and technique lines, although I see the point in them. :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I particularly like the "deflecting angle" of the downward, but also a properly executed upward, inward, and push down.

I like doing Blocking Set #1 as a Striking Set and as a Breaking Set. My students feel like they are learning multiple applications for a simple appearing set. Nice hook for them and gets them thinking outside the box.

-MB

D

dcence

I was just stating the way we do it. We don't have a bunch of blocking sets. That is our first one, then as I stated we go to the softer ones. We aren't one for thousands of drills and technique lines, although I see the point in them.

Oops. I wasn't really responding to your post, though l can see where it looks like it. I wasn't saying "Mosts everyone knows..." like it is so obvious you shouldn't have brought it up. I was saying, "Most everyone knows...." as a segway (sp?) as in "In addition to..." Sorry.

Derek

D

dcence

The arguement regarding torque. I know there is no such thing, but by common usage, in Kenpoese, there has come a shared meaning. I think of it as residual torque sometimes (when it is), a lot of the time.

I agree. That is why sometimes I use the misnomer. Perhaps a better term than reverse torque is reversing torque. Same with "returning torque." I think "residual torque" is a correct term for something altogether different from reversing or returning.

Just semantics.

Derek

K

kenpo2dabone

Originally posted by Michael Billings
I particularly like the "deflecting angle" of the downward, but also a properly executed upward, inward, and push down.

I like doing Blocking Set #1 as a Striking Set and as a Breaking Set. My students feel like they are learning multiple applications for a simple appearing set. Nice hook for them and gets them thinking outside the box.

-MB

I too have done this and even used a variation of block set as an extension to various techniques in there striking application. I found it works very well.

Another thing I find very interesting is doing block set with a knife in my hand. It really shows angles of attack and paths of action in your blocks. I do this with the reverse grip forwards and backwards as well as with e forward grip forwards and backwords. I also hold one knife in the reverse grip say with my right hand and one knife in the forward grip with my left hand and do block set in the forward motion with my right hand while simultaniously doing it in reverse with the left hand. One of the interesting things that I have found, which I am sure is no secret, is that a stabing motion in the reverse grip, such as an inward block, is a slashing motion with the forward grip. The opposite of that is true as well. A Stabbing motion with the forward grip, such as the inward-downword palm facing in block is a slashing motion with the reverse grip. I don't know if you have ever played with block set in this manner but I thought I would share.

Salute,

Mike Miller UKF

D

dcence

Another thing I find very interesting is doing block set with a knife in my hand. It really shows angles of attack and paths of action in your blocks. I do this with the reverse grip forwards and backwards as well as with e forward grip forwards and backwords. I also hold one knife in the reverse grip say with my right hand and one knife in the forward grip with my left hand and do block set in the forward motion with my right hand while simultaniously doing it in reverse with the left hand. One of the interesting things that I have found, which I am sure is no secret, is that a stabing motion in the reverse grip, such as an inward block, is a slashing motion with the forward grip. The opposite of that is true as well. A Stabbing motion with the forward grip, such as the inward-downword palm facing in block is a slashing motion with the reverse grip. I don't know if you have ever played with block set in this manner but I thought I would share.

Those are great comments. In the AKKI we do a knife flow drill that has Blocking Set as its base, but it is a 2 man drill. The two doing the set alternate attacking and defending. One guy does the pattern based on Blocking Set, and the other guy does a different pattern based on Blocking Set to counter the other, so when one is striking (say like an overhead stab or slash) the other is defending (say with an appropriate upward slash to the forearm/check. Both moves are based off the upward block in the Blocking Set -- one is attacking the other defending. One each move they alternate who attacks and who defends. It is very sweet.

Thanks for sharing your knife insights.

Derek

Latest Discussions