Kenpo Terminolgy

R

Rob_Broad

Here is some of the terminology requested by non-kenpo practioners to understand what the AK people are talking about.

Sword = Handsword
Mace = Fist
Storm = Club
Twig = Arm
Feathers = Hair
Branch = Leg
Salute = Heelpalm, push
Wing = Elbow
Gift = Handshake
Prong = Thumb
Talon = Wrist Grab
Pendulum = Downward motion Block
Ram = Tackle
Leaves = Fingers
Peaches = Testicles
Crane = one leg stance
Hoof = foot
Lance = Knife
Rod = Gun
Doom=kick
Death=neck attack
Darkness/Dark= attack from an obscure zone/moving to obscure zone
Sheild=block
Danger=breakfall/roll
Twins=two handed attack-offensive/defensive
Arrow=stance
Clouds=overlapping circles
Fan=inward/outward parry
Horizon=the ground
Danger=breakfall/roll
Compulsion=irrestable force

I hope this makes things easy for everybody. I will add more as they come up.

OP
F

fissure

Pevious threads make a lot more sence to me now!
Thanks.:asian:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Peaches = Testicles

I've gotta say it, this one always crack me up. I thought "squeazing the peach" was a pretend technique title that the Guys use to joke about. That is until I found it on the actual list of techniques.

SGM Parker certainly had a sence of humour. :rofl:

dot
:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

I've gotta say it, this one always crack me up. I thought "squeazing the peach" was a pretend technique title that the Guys use to joke about. That is until I found it on the actual list of techniques.

dot

Just the mention of that tech makes me wince!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto. :erg:

Whats "Bowing to Budda" translate to?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Going out the patio door and bowing to the one my aunt has in her backyard :rofl: :rofl: :p

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

There are several translations of this phrase! The spelling of the term Budda/Buddha varies among martial arts schools and practitioners alike. Yet, the vipassana.com website uses the spelling Buddha. The url is http://www.vipassana.com
The translations (General & Martial) are as follows:
1. Bowing humbly before Buddha to pay respect for his teachings;
1a. Theravada/(Mahayana or Northern School) Buddhism ((Southern School or Hinayana) form found in thailand, myanmar and sri lanka), as emphasized in the "Pali Canon; the most authoritive record and guide to the Buddha's teachings", within "Viyana" and "Sutta". The "Viyana" is a collection of texts which address the rules of daily affairs within the "Sangha" or community of "bhikkhunis; ordained nuns and bhikkhus; ordained monks"! The "Sutta" is a collection of discourses of Buddha and "a few" of 'his closest disciples", consisting of all central teachings of Theravada Buddhism!
2. Bowing humbly before God;
2a. Reiki (Universal Life Force)/or "God"
Martial Translations:
1.Offensive Technique Name; against various threats, attacks etc,.
1a. Used in many martial arts styles and systems
2. Defensive Technique Name; against various attacks,etc.
2a. Same as 1a.
In my kenpo system this phrase, (we use Bowing for Budda), "Bowing to Budda" refers to a defensive technique against standing knife and kicking attack combinations, such as the lunging, slashing, upward and downward front and side knife attacks. In Zen Kempo-jitsu this phrase is an offensive attack used for cutting off the blood flow while throwing a threatening aggressor.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chiduce

There are several translations of this phrase! The spelling of the term Budda/Buddha varies among martial arts schools and practitioners alike. Yet, the vipassana.com website uses the spelling Buddha. The url is http://www.vipassana.com
The translations (General & Martial) are as follows:
1. Bowing humbly before Buddha to pay respect for his teachings;
1a. Theravada/(Mahayana or Northern School) Buddhism ((Southern School or Hinayana) form found in thailand, myanmar and sri lanka), as emphasized in the "Pali Canon; the most authoritive record and guide to the Buddha's teachings", within "Viyana" and "Sutta". The "Viyana" is a collection of texts which address the rules of daily affairs within the "Sangha" or community of "bhikkhunis; ordained nuns and bhikkhus; ordained monks"! The "Sutta" is a collection of discourses of Buddha and "a few" of 'his closest disciples", consisting of all central teachings of Theravada Buddhism!
2. Bowing humbly before God;
2a. Reiki (Universal Life Force)/or "God"
Martial Translations:
1.Offensive Technique Name; against various threats, attacks etc,.
1a. Used in many martial arts styles and systems
2. Defensive Technique Name; against various attacks,etc.
2a. Same as 1a.
In my kenpo system this phrase, (we use Bowing for Budda), "Bowing to Budda" refers to a defensive technique against standing knife and kicking attack combinations, such as the lunging, slashing, upward and downward front and side knife attacks. In Zen Kempo-jitsu this phrase is an offensive attack used for cutting off the blood flow while throwing a threatening aggressor.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

In the Kenpo system that I was in, "Bowing to Buddha", is a technique, wherein you have been knocked down and are on your knees, from whence you attack the lower portion of your attackers leg, bringing him down on his back. You then, of course, do all kinds of typically nasty stuff in an effort to make him so busted up that NO ONE can identify the remains.

--Dave:D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by D.Cobb

In the Kenpo system that I was in, "Bowing to Buddha", is a technique, wherein you have been knocked down and are on your knees, from whence you attack the lower portion of your attackers leg, bringing him down on his back. You then, of course, do all kinds of typically nasty stuff in an effort to make him so busted up that NO ONE can identify the remains.

--Dave:D
That is correct. Not the bunch of tripe that was spouted in the earlier post. Since we are in the Kenpo Technical forum could we please keep this thread about Kenpo Terminology.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That is correct. Not the bunch of tripe that was spouted in the earlier post. Since we are in the Kenpo Technical forum could we please keep this thread about Kenpo Terminology.

Actually, it did fit what I was asking for, and then some. It was interesting to note that the same phrase is used to describe different techniques in the different KeNpo and KeMpo systems.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

But that post discussed how it was used in one Kenpo system, which is different from how it's used in AK evidently. I don't see the problem--unless what's wanted is an AK-only forum. If that's wanted it can be done, but we polled for that before and there didn't seem to be interest in it.

-Arnisador
-MT Mod-

OP
C

Chiduce

Why didn't you just post American or EPAK Kenpo Technical Forum? This is not the place to gripe about what is right for yourself only. There are other kenpo styles represented here also.
Duce Out!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let it go guys, and lets get back to the language of KeN/Mpo :)

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

dot

Squeezing the Peach was a direct reference to an old Shaolin Technique titled "Monkey Steals the Peach" Same principles!

And because I'm in the technical section, I will not post any :lol: thingies.

Dan

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

Just the mention of that tech makes me wince!

I wore a cup before I came in here! Just in case DC was around!:eek:

OP
H

habanero_heat

So....... terminology relating to techniques......
The techniques must be named as an aid to memory, so is there definitive list anywhere? books or web?

At first they just looked like a load of silly names, but its starting to sound a bit more like english now.

A lot of people seem to dislike the terminology side of things, but i find it a wonderful explanation of why i am doing certain things in certain ways.

Before I read this i only knew a storm was a club and a mace was a punch.

EXCELLENT :D
thanks to the original post

OP
H

habanero_heat

Oh. forgot to ask
whats intellectual departure mean then?

Latest Discussions