Black History Month is Ridiculous?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, here is another aspect. My brother-in-law is a cop. He has to deal with alot of Mexicans and other Latinos in their area. They have found that pepper spray is not an effective deterent against Mexicans in many cases. They can't formally teach anyone this though, since that would be racial profiling of a sort. Does anyone else think this is kind of silly and to and taking things to an extreme? We would endanger law enforcement agents in an attempt to be more racially sensetive? How much is too much?

MrH

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
I think you made a wise and thought out decision.

Not a kneejerk political one.

Thanks, Blotan. That's me, always introspective.

But still, we make the world better a small piece at a time, mostly by example. I feel lucky to have two wonderful children upon whom I can have so much direct impact.

I'd like to think, given a lot of good lessons, that they will go out into the world and influences others accordingly, thus exponentially spreading a higher degree of spirituality.

Of course, that's giving myself credit for teaching them good lessons. I hope I don't screw that up.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Mr. Freeman and Cosby are right. We seem to have celebrations for women, black americans, asian americans, hispanic americans, jewish american, etc. But if you suggest a "white american" holiday, you are taggest a bigot and a racist and a divider. Like those other seperate distinctions aren't.

It extends to business development and other benefits. If I check off the correct boxes on applications, I can get loans, special treatment, tax breaks, health insurance, etc. As long as I'm not "white".

Some say it's "balancing the diferences" from education and upbringing. I say it's discrimination, because of some pigment, a chromosone and actually paying attention in school.

We need to stop treating people as "white" "black" "brown" "red" purple" whatever americans. And start treating them as "People" period.

As much as I enjoy the specials, with the list of names and firsts (I always learn something new), it always seems racist to single out a race-group for special recognition and privilage.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Part of the problem is the education system. the only names of black pioneers that jump out at me from my time in school (20+ years ago), are George Washington Carver, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks. What about Jackie Robinson, Carl Brashear, Harold Washington, Alice Walker, Miles Bennett Dyson, et al.?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teach them as notable individuals. Drop the race/gender biases.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Teach them as notable individuals. Drop the race/gender biases.

Agreed. If their deeds are meritable, they should stand on their own.

But then again, in some ways, people like having role models to look up to. Perhaps it serves as an encouragement?

MrH

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Part of the problem is the education system. the only names of black pioneers that jump out at me from my time in school (20+ years ago), are George Washington Carver, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks. What about Jackie Robinson, Carl Brashear, Harold Washington, Alice Walker, Miles Bennett Dyson, et al.?
What about native american names in history, only ones that pop out are what, Pocahontas and Tanto? I'm all for complete history lessons, but why must we seperate them by race? Why can't Rosa Parks and Quanah Parker both be mentioned as civil rights leaders in the same breath? Civil rights apply to more than black people. Thats the problem, we have seperated long enough.

7sm

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
What about native american names in history, only ones that pop out are what, Pocahontas and Tanto? I'm all for complete history lessons, but why must we seperate them by race? Why can't Rosa Parks and Quanah Parker both be mentioned as civil rights leaders in the same breath? Civil rights apply to more than black people. Thats the problem, we have seperated long enough.

7sm
Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Sacajawea... I'm sure there are many others. I wasn't trying to be divisive, just pointing out that the need for a separate <insert race here> History Month could be obviated by making history less euro-centric.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Sacajawea... I'm sure there are many others. I wasn't trying to be divisive, just pointing out that the need for a separate <insert race here> History Month could be obviated by making history less euro-centric.

I agree, I wasn't trying to really disagree iwth you, just using your post as a stepping block for my own point. I agree.

7sm

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
It extends to business development and other benefits. If I check off the correct boxes on applications, I can get loans, special treatment, tax breaks, health insurance, etc. As long as I'm not "white".

Some say it's "balancing the diferences" from education and upbringing. I say it's discrimination, because of some pigment, a chromosone and actually paying attention in school.

We need to stop treating people as "white" "black" "brown" "red" purple" whatever americans. And start treating them as "People" period.

As much as I enjoy the specials, with the list of names and firsts (I always learn something new), it always seems racist to single out a race-group for special recognition and privilage.

The problem is that now that a segement of society has those special privilages due to their race, they will fight like the dickens to keep them. And in the case of race, the people that advocate doing away with special treatment can be labled as racists. We have all seen it happen.

That is the danger that people like Freeman and Cosby face to those whose political power come from the way things are now. Not only is it harder for people to label them as hating blacks (not impossible as we have seen, but harder) but it also tells other races that not all blacks think the way their self- appointed leaders tell them to.

I think that is why Freeman is taking a big chance in saying even as little as he did. He may be tarred and feathered by some of those that benifit from the idea of whites still trying to keep the black man under their thumbs. Watch and see. I hope I am wrong. But if someone hears something about Freeman being trashed, please post it here. I don't get a lot of the news you do here in Japan easily.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If an apology will help create and uplift a more stable black community, I don't see the harm. I think society as a whole bears a responsibility in righting the wrongs of the past. It would show that its worth being an American and not indentify with sub-culture only.
Sean

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
If an apology will help create and uplift a more stable black community, I don't see the harm. I think society as a whole bears a responsibility in righting the wrongs of the past. It would show that its worth being an American and not indentify with sub-culture only.
Sean
Are you suggesting that I apologize for something I did not do, to someone that it did not happen to? :erg:

Perhaps the Egyptians should apologize to the Hebrews for that whole 'slave thing'.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I think Mr. Freeman and Cosby are right. We seem to have celebrations for women, black americans, asian americans, hispanic americans, jewish american, etc. But if you suggest a "white american" holiday, you are taggest a bigot and a racist and a divider. Like those other seperate distinctions aren't.

That's exactly right Bob. If I recall the words of Martin Luther King Jr., he said he had a dream that one day people would be judged by not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

What happened, however, is a certain brand of revolutionary hijacked the civil rights movement, for the purpose of inciting revolution. We've taken the focus off of treating people based on what's in their character, and returned it to class and race warfare for the purposes of achieving and agenda.

I say we return to an individualistic society, where we judge people by their actions and deads, not by the category they fit in, and if they can be used to further the 'revolution'.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I think society as a whole bears a responsibility in righting the wrongs of the past.

Gee... how far back do we go. Every society/group has been enslaved or persecuted in the past. Which one gets compensated? Lets stick with the US. American Indians, Chinese who built the railroad, Japanese internment during WW2, blacks being enslaved, etc.. Just about every group/religion has been prosecuted in some form, except perhaps the evil caucasion christian of english origin. Should we have a month dedicated to each minority race, religion or belief system?

How do you propose righting these wrongs? My whole beef with the suggestion is we have done so much already. The opportunity to excel exists for everyone, and many have done so! Its not been an easy road for many people, minority and non-minority included. Saying they need extra compensation or special treatment boarders on changing from minority rights to minority special rights (rights not even extended to the evil caucasions).

Personally, I don't really care what color your skin is. Its irrelevant. I don't want special treatment based on my skin/gender/religion, not negative treatment based on my skin/gender/religion. I respect people for what they do. In my case, if they are professional, intellegent and knowledgable in my field.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Sean

Rather than an apology, I think a cultural acceptance that slavery was wrong is the way to start. And I think we have done that.

People talk about the problem with Japan not apologizing for WWII. But many of the protest against Japan is in conjunction with the fact that there seems to be a lot of Japanese that say that they did nothing wrong, hence the lack of an apology is troubling.

And, I hate to point out the facts, but there are even now a lot of lawyers drooling over their cut of a settlement for a lawsuit against the goverment over slavery. What do you think they would do with an apology other than try to use it to force a trial? Sad, but true.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Are you suggesting that I apologize for something I did not do, to someone that it did not happen to? :erg:

Perhaps the Egyptians should apologize to the Hebrews for that whole 'slave thing'.
Yes, your very lifestyle was made possible by the wrongs of the past. And if that is what its gonna take to get the Israelies and Egytions from blowing themselves up in another war for tourism then so be it.
Sean

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will not apologize for something I did not do to someone who I never personally wronged. Ther very idea of that is just very strange. When did we start to feel personaly responsible for things that happened before my granddaddys time?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Gee... how far back do we go. Every society/group has been enslaved or persecuted in the past. Which one gets compensated? Lets stick with the US. American Indians, Chinese who built the railroad, Japanese internment during WW2, blacks being enslaved, etc.. Just about every group/religion has been prosecuted in some form, except perhaps the evil caucasion christian of english origin. Should we have a month dedicated to each minority race, religion or belief system?

How do you propose righting these wrongs? My whole beef with the suggestion is we have done so much already. The opportunity to excel exists for everyone, and many have done so! Its not been an easy road for many people, minority and non-minority included. Saying they need extra compensation or special treatment boarders on changing from minority rights to minority special rights (rights not even extended to the evil caucasions).

Personally, I don't really care what color your skin is. Its irrelevant. I don't want special treatment based on my skin/gender/religion, not negative treatment based on my skin/gender/religion. I respect people for what they do. In my case, if they are professional, intellegent and knowledgable in my field.
Getting acknowledgment does not equate to getting a handout.
Sean

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Yes, your very lifestyle was made possible by the wrongs of the past. And if that is what its gonna take to get the Israelies and Egytions from blowing themselves up in another war for tourism then so be it.
Sean
My lifestyle? My great great-grandparents were Irish immigrants, and they certainly never owned a slave. I think it's time you stopped buying in to the leftist talking points of class warfare.

The idea that I owe ANYONE an apology for something that I didn't do is asinine. What's more, it'll be a cold day in hell before any one gets that apology from me. I'm willing to embrace anyone, regardless of race or ethnicity, as an equal. I'm willing to judge them by their actions, not by their skin color.

However, if an apology for something I didn't do is what is required for us to move on as a nation, then I guess conflict it will be. I will not be made to stand accountable for what somebody else did, and what's more, there is no one going to make me do it.

What it's darn sure time of, however, is for people to stop using the past as a crutch and an excuse for failures in the present.

Latest Discussions