Black belt testing in 3 weeks!!!

Tempest71

White Belt
Reaction score
Morning all, just after some advice about diet. Am sitting my black belt testing in 3 weeks for 1st Dan and I would love to drop some more weight before then. Just after a bit of advice really as am currently trying to follow a low carb high protein diet, having 3 meals a day. Struggling a bit as have demanding job and also the amount of training I am doing!! HELP xx

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck on the test. Leading up to my gradings I do a bit of regular jogging, it helps drop a few kilos and is good for overall fitness. These days I run as a regular part of my training. Nerves have always toubled me at gradings more than fitness though :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're grading in 3 weeks. There is no safe or smart way to make a significant difference in your weight in do short a time.
Relax. Don't make any real changes between now and your grading. Focus on the material you're being graded on. After, you can make changes to help you gradually drop the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're grading in 3 weeks. There is no safe or smart way to make a significant difference in your weight in do short a time.
Relax. Don't make any real changes between now and your grading. Focus on the material you're being graded on. After, you can make changes to help you gradually drop the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

Equally importantly, You do NOT want to be exhausted at the Grading because Youve been overworking Yourself. Prepare for the test. You can help Yourself later.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big step, good luck.......................

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good luck on your grading. Focus on the material, not the weight loss. In the weeks leading up to my 1st Dan test, I said something on Facebook about a good jog, and my Master commented that all my focus should be on patterns.

Longer term, I've found that when doing a strict low-carb diet, I need to eat 6 (smaller) meals a day, or I get too hungry. Also, watch for hidden sugar. Low-fat items often have as many calories as their full fat siblings, due to added sugar.

OP
T

Tempest71

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!! Great advice. My fitness is good and flexabilty is fab!!! Just got to keep going with the patterns xxx

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish you luck with your testing!! Funny about the '3 weeks' thing...you're testing in 3 and I tested for 1st Dan exactly 3 weeks ago!!! Just remember, no matter what happens, KEEP PUSHING!!!!!!:) You'll do GREAT!!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morning all, just after some advice about diet. Am sitting my black belt testing in 3 weeks for 1st Dan and I would love to drop some more weight before then. Just after a bit of advice really as am currently trying to follow a low carb high protein diet, having 3 meals a day. Struggling a bit as have demanding job and also the amount of training I am doing!! HELP xx

As Dirty Dog stated, keep things the way they are at this time. Your Sahbum wouldn't be testing you if he thought that you weren't ready.

Just eat a well-balanced diet from now until then. After the exam, then you can make some changes.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best of luck to you. You will do fine. You are almost there.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score

Best wishes on your test.

On the diet, some things to watch.

1. Eat more often. Switch to eating 5 small meals per day, this will spread out your consumption so you feel full most of the time rather than taking big chunks of food in only a few times per day. Eat a small meal roughly every 3 hours.

2. A low carb diet is somewhat misleading/misunderstood/misapplied in most cases. Instead of low carb, look for quality carbs in lower quantities. Quality carbs are essentially whole grains like brown rice, spelt, and whole wheat (if you're not avoiding glutten). Use small servings to compliment your lean proteins and regular fruits and vegetables.

3. Look for high fiber. The fiber will make you feel full and is good for you in several ways. High fiber foods like various beans and lentils, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, apples, oranges, grapes, broccoli... good stuff. Combine a high fiber item with a lean protein item in your small meals and you'll probably feel really satisfied.

4. Avoid high sugar content in anything. If it's processed food, look at the carb section, if it's high in sugar it's likely full of high fructose corn syrup as a cheap high calorie additive that makes stuff "taste good". It's really bad for you and your body will pack it away as fat.

5. Use fitday.com to track your food items for a few days. It really helps to visualize what you are eating and see the calorie balance. It really does come down to simple math but most people have absolutely no clue how many calories they consume in a normal day. Try to keep your intake well balanced, and shoot for a calorie deficit of about 500-1000 calories per day, no more than that. That should net about 1-2 pounds of body fat loss per week (3500 calories in pound of body fat).

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Best of luck to you on your exam. I would have to agree with the majority of the posts, at this point I wouldn't do anything too drastic in regards to diet and exercise this close to your exam. Afterwards you can sit down and lay out a fitness/diet plan to shoot for your 2nd Dan exam :)

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
Best of luck to you on your exam. I would have to agree with the majority of the posts, at this point I wouldn't do anything too drastic in regards to diet and exercise this close to your exam. Afterwards you can sit down and lay out a fitness/diet plan to shoot for your 2nd Dan exam :)

Another +1 to what everyone else has said. You want to be calm at the time of your test, not stressing because you've drastically changed your diet or have been over working yourself to exhaustion. At this point mental health and good rest are very important as the test draws closer. Good luck!

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like everyone says you should just focus on your testing requirements to the point you can relax and enjoy performing them. Your wanting to loose weight has something to do with your self image and for black belt you should be confident and accepting in what you are right now. However if you have a true mental condition that will not let you concentrate on your tasks due to your feeling you need to loose weight I recomend that you change that thought to eating healthy and your body will determine on its own how it shoudl be over time not three weeks.

I strongly recomend EAST TO WIN THE SPORTS NUTRITION BIBLE by Dr. Robert Haas should be widely available new and used maybe even online? Used widely by many Olympic and other athletes for all variety of sports. However go to any CAMP OFFICE OF your local hospital or public health office and they have free blood testing with complete break down of your blood work very important and will test you on a every 90 day basis lots of thin people who look good die every day due to metabolic, kidney function and cholesterol levels being poor in some way.This book is the bomb good daily maintenance pre work out menu recover menu and specific competion menus.

I have used it for many of my adult students also Fit For Life and Back to Eden is really good with daily diet but also healing remedies.

Good luck you have been invited to test so you have already passed show you can control stress and block out distrations since you have mentioned weight I hope your uniform is comfortable if not get new one or have it taylored to fit so you are comfortable leave it alone do not constantly tug or fix your uniform after every technique something very prevelent in testings i see all over.

If you cannot get the book let me know

Latest Discussions