Black Belt Test Fees

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK.. I started this thread and as I said my "old" instructor charged this much and still does. I have not been with him for 18 years after he went even more into the money game. After I left him I more than halved the test fees I charge but still believe they are too high so I am/was wondering what the norm is. Hope that clarifies it.
I don't think there is a norm. Some schools and associations don't charge any additional fee at any level. Some charge significant fees at black belt levels. Both are acceptable, so long as there's some reasonable level of fees. My personal view is that normal fees should support testing and promotions - the average shodan has paid thousands of dollars for the training that got him there. If an instructor wants to charge $100 or more for that promotion, that's still reasonable. When you get up to 4 figures, there had better be a lot more involved than just the promotion to the next level. Franchise fees (for those wanting to start a school) may be okay, or even just instructor training fees (assuming there's specific training on instruction).

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Belt test fees are high and the norm in san diego. I know a GM who charges 75 a test and has 17 belts before poom. Then it is 1000 x poom/Dan level. Of course everyone passes and no one fails.

Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my association it's a $100 for first Dan and for each rank then on is plus $100.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan, $300. 2nd Dan, $400, ect. skip dans are doable up to 4th. Must pay for all ranks skipped and rank applying for. :) If, IF, and this is a biggie, you pass the test and your thesis is good. You come to me or you pay me to come to you. There are no free rides, you have to actually earn the belt.

Latest Discussions