Black Belt Standards...Have they gone down?

J

Jas0n

Has the standards gone down for becoming a black belt?
Just seems an awefull lot of people claim it? So either there are allot of people out there that good or the standards have gone down? How do I determine if the place I am going to has a hiugh standard?

OP
M

MartialArtist

Anyone can become a black belt in a year going two times a week and paying $100...

while there are people who've worked for decades trying to earn one training 6-7 days a week, training at least 3 hours daily.

OP
J

Jas0n

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Anyone can become a black belt in a year going two times a week and paying $100...

while there are people who've worked for decades trying to earn one training 6-7 days a week, training at least 3 hours daily.
So no I am really confused :confused:
Would the person who gets a Black belt in a yr be legit or is that cause the standard has gone down for that particular Dojo?
Or is the person who goes 6 to 7 days a week someone who is not as talented?
I was planning on 3 days a week. plus using the weights a bit also.
Mike Cappi's American Karate doesnt have any adult classes on Sat or Sunday.. I was a bit disapointed in that. Wednesday I go to a Bible study so the only days I can do it is Monday Tuesday and thursday. they dont have friday either? is this normal? they have kids stuff on those days.

OP
G

GouRonin

Don't worry about the rank. Many arts don't even have ranks or belts.

Just go as often as you can and work hard. Don't worry about other people. Spend the time you have working at what you are doing.

You can spend far to much time being preoccupied with other people and rank.

So go start today. Many people put it off, and put it off, and then the reasosn they make up are far too many to start and they never do.

Above all, enjoy yourself. Best of luck.
:D

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

My friend has a 2rd Dan in TKD, it took him 8 years

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor made me learn 12 short forms. From what I hear, current students only need to know 6 for black belt these days.

Cthulhu

OP
M

MartialArtist

As of right now, your belt has no indication on skill. Hell, it's even gotten to the point where it's no indication on EXPERIENCE.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Speaking as someone who has a black belt, I think that belt ranks are generally the last thing you should worry about. Sure, you can be proud of having earned a black belt, but that shouldn't your main goal. If you concentrate on polishing your technique and conditioning yourself, a good teacher will let you know when you're ready for the next rank.

That does assume of course that you have a good teacher. If you're worried that you've joined a McDojo, or that your instructor is "prostituting" his art, you can always check out another school or gym to see what their standards are like.

I'm told that the record for someone earning their black belt in the World TKD Association was 1 year and 9 months, but that that was a very exceptional case. This guy apparently had a military backround, years of prior martial arts experience in other styles, and his hobbies included every sport he ever heard of. Besides that, since he had to test for his black belt with the grandmaster (just like everyone else), I don't doubt that he truly earned it. (Though I would understand the skepticism of anyone who never met the grandmaster.)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today everybodys standards are differant. But one thing that should matter is experience!

I practiced a lot of arts, some I don't spend much time in but most at least 3 and a few 5 years. What I got was a lot of experience in Karate, Jujitsu and Gung-Fu.

I ended up with a couple of brown belts and finally a black belt after 15 years. Was I qualified sooner? Maybe. I think I was but I was still just a brown belt bouncing fro system to system.

I became a very well rounded martial artist and that experience in all ranges is what I emphasize in my teaching. That was and is "my way."

I've "heard" of people getting their black belts in a year but haven't seen one in person, but if I did I doubt they would be able to touch someone that I taught for one year!

OP
J

Jill666

Good. Now read it again.

My husband has a two-year degree from a Community College he earned at night. My old boss has a master's from Columbia. They're both exceptional at what they do, and take a lot of pride in it.

Take all the advice you can get on finding a good school- and then, listen to your gut on where you feel you will have a good experience. Then give it your all. Screw everyone else- most of the people in your life won't have a clue in hell why you want to do this anyway. In class you won't notice much how the others are doing, you will be trying not to F up.

And most of all, yes, have fun!

:cool:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started training in 1986. I was promoted to Senior Level 1 (in Yiliquan that is the first "black belt" level) in 1998. In 2000 I was given Senior Level 2. It is now 2003, and there are no promotions in sight...

The point?

At least in Yiliquan, black belts (or the equivalent thereof) are not an easy thing to come by, nor do they come quickly. The training is the important thing. The grade comes along in time.

Sure, have a goal. But worry about the process moreso than the result of it.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
C

chufeng

YiLiQuan1,

But it only took you 12 years to get to the first level...and two to get to the next...

Don't you think that the time spent learning all the juicy bits helped you eventually get the rank you actually DO deserve?

I know you could give a rat's a$$ about rank...I feel the same way...

Some day it may be important, in terms of operating your own club...credentials and all...but, we all remain students regardless of our rank...besides the rank is more for the old guy running the show...keeps him straight on what we should know...growing old is a terrible thing...

Oh and if your concerned about your next rank (NOT)...
nevermind...

chufeng

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a blue belt in TKD. Which is a fairly high rank (depending on the dojang ..... in my dojang, it's equals about 6th or 5th gup ..... some where in there). I earned it in one year. Some would say that is fast. Yes it was. I'd prolly get my black belt in another year. But did I earn it? I think so. I train hard, and I ALWAYS work on technique. I also had previous martial arts experience. I reached blue belt in Tang Soo Do, also. My TSD instructor was strict when it came to proper technique, form, ect. He is still "teaching" me. What he has taught me, stuck with me. I still train with him when I visit back home. My TKD instructor noticed my technique and wanted to "rush" me. I did, till I got to high green belt. Then I refused to rush. I'm not in it for rank. I want to "earn" my black belt. I not only want to have a BB but BE a BB (hope that makes sence).

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
YiLiQuan1,

But it only took you 12 years to get to the first level...and two to get to the next...

So perhaps only a lifetime to advance again? Sounds good to me...

Don't you think that the time spent learning all the juicy bits helped you eventually get the rank you actually DO deserve?

Ah, but while I have been exposed to a few choice juicy bits, I have yet to be allowed to wear the rank I really do deserve - that simple white belt... Which is all I would wear were I to be given the option. SO, in place of that, I do my best to get away with a simple, unadorned black belt, beginning to fade...

I know you could give a rat's a$$ about rank...I feel the same way...

Which is one thing that allows us to get along so well, and which causes me to genuinely listen to what you have to say as it comes not from your "rank" giving you authority, but the authority of training experience and insight... :asian:

Some day it may be important, in terms of operating your own club...credentials and all...but, we all remain students regardless of our rank...besides the rank is more for the old guy running the show...keeps him straight on what we should know...growing old is a terrible thing...

The only use of "rank" in my mind is in keeping class schedules and training goals straight. The only use of a belt is to teach proper breathing.

Oh and if your concerned about your next rank (NOT)...
nevermind...

It doesn't even enter my mind... I look at the grade requirements to give myself guidance on what I am "supposed" to know at this point, but I look at the grade requirements of all the other grades I have been through to provide me with guidance on what I should be able to teach.

Gambarimasu.

OP
S

sweeper

hmm.. I tihnk it depends on the art.. in judo a belt is a nice grip for a throw or positioning when you are on the ground :p

but real everyone's ranks are diffrent a blackbelt in one art does not equal a blackbelt in another nessisaraly

And because of that if a school gives out blackbelts prematurly it doesn't mean the students are bad or unskilled just not as skilled as the blackbelts of an equivalant school.. that is to say if the quality of instruction doesn't differ two people both with equal ability and dedication will have the same level of skill at a given amount of time no matter what belt rank, because of this look at what you are learning more than what rank you are.

OP
B

bob919

no offense to karatakas or tkdists but in both these martial arts you can be almost garanteed a black belt in 2 years

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by bob919
no offense to karatakas or tkdists but in both these martial arts you can be almost garanteed a black belt in 2 years

That is a very broad generalization. While true in some respects, the caveat should be borne in mind that not all karate, nor TKD for that matter, schools hand out rank quite so quickly.

The run of the mill mini-mall schools, however, that rely on childrens' classes to pay the rent seem to promote to ensure attendance.

Gambarimasu.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

It's not karate or taekwondo that gives out dank rank so easily, but individuals who are nothing short of prostituting their system for money.

Any individual can get a black belt from a sports store and claim what they like, but that dosen't mean a thing.

My grade is a statement made by my late sensei to me [his opinion of my understanding of the karate he was teaching me]
That's all the value it has or ever had.

Many years ago I handed out black belts to all my students at the start of training. Two hours later I collected them back in and asked if anyone felt they had trained any better than normal.
No one said it made them any better than they were. I gave them a lesson and made a point, and thankfully they all 'got it'.

Mike.

OP
J

Jester

The way I have always looked at it is to train hard and the black belt will come in time.

The worst thing I can imagine is to hold a black belt and then have other people look at my techniques and say "he's a black belt?, how did that happen".

When I achieve black belt I want to know myself that I am worthy of holding that belt otherwise what's the point.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Hell, anymore bloated rank has gotten so bad I look at people and say …….."Is he really a 10th dan Grand Pooh Bah Super Soke:rolleyes: ?"

God, I would hope I get more out of my training than a crummy belt.

Just train……..that’s all you need to do and good things will happen.

Latest Discussions