Black Belt Standards...Have they gone down?

OP
W

white dragon

Compared to most of you lot here I'm an infant in the world of martial arts, although I've been doing TKD for almost 3 years and haven't got a blackbelt yet, just so you know not everywhere gives them out after two.

Before starting martial arts I had this image of what a blackbelt was, and what it meant to be one, and I've seen people that fit that ideal. On the flip side I've seen those wearing 2nd Dan belts that I wouldn't consider a high rank than me in any way, not technique, teaching ability, speed, sparring, or stamina and it makes me wonder how they ever got their grade. Belts in classes don't really mean anything to me anymore, I've learnt to judge people by ability rather than the colour around their waist as it can be very deceptive.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deception, good job. Everybody would like to think that their art has controversy but this isn't a perfect world.

There are legitimate reasons why people go to another source for certification. This thread didn't address that! Someone as myself has a lot of experience in several systems. But it would be impossible to master them the old fashion way.

So if I am worthy of a black belt and I have a lot of experience in several arts, then if I pursue these arts and I don't live near my instructor but he does guide and eventually he evaluates me, then would my certification be legitimate?

OK GUYS.......THIS ONE I WANT YOU TO ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BLOOPER, should of read:

"Everybody would like to think that their art has NO controversy but this isn't a perfect world".

OP
Q

Quick Sand

In my style most people move up the first few belt ranks within a year or a bit more so if someone walked in off the street and only saw that, they might get the wrong idea. Most people get to blue belt in a little over a year but almost everyone stays at blue for a full year, then a full year at purple, and about 2+ years total for our 4 levels of brown belt. In short form, you can get a blue belt in just over a year but it takes at least 5 years to get a black belt.

We also pay for our belt testing but it's the same fee for all as far as I know. It might go up a bit for brown and black belt testing but they are longer and more individual. I also have no problem paying $30 (CAN) for a belt test because our annual club fee is only $100 (CAN). Yeah, that's $100 for 3 classes a week for 8 months and one class a week for 4. (We're at a university so most students leave for the 4 month summer and the rest of us have to work so we reduce training during that time.) The testing fees help level out our low training fees.

The other thing I like about my club is that almost all the instructors teach classes and donate their time for free. Only a few of the very top people in the organization get paid. That means they really care about teaching us and promoting the art. They're not in it for the money because they don't get any. They teach our classes, organize and run our annual tournament and organize and run our summer camp. Including building most of our camp facilities by hand. They're a great bunch of people and I only hope that some day I might have the honour of joining them. :asian:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OLD STYLE KARATE STARTED WITH AWHITE BELT AND NEVER CHANGED COLORS THIER BELTS HAVE JUST BECAME OLDER AND DIRTY. DO NOT JUDGE ANY STYLE OR SHCOOL BY HOW LONG IT TAKES TO REACH BLACK BELT IF YOUR TRAINING IN MARTIAL ARTS FOR A BELT YOUR TRAINING FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. MOST SHCOOLS TAKE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 4 -6 YEARS AVERAGE TO REACH THIS GOAL. IF THE SHCOOL YOUR CURRENTLY TAKES LONGER AT LEAST YOU'LL KNOW THAT YOUR RECIEVING MAXIMUM TRAINING AND THAT YOU HAVE EARNED YOUR BLACK BELT.

BE PATIENT AND TRAIN HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest Discussions