Good stuff Terry.
icon14.gif

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Seasoned was just watching some videos and figure I would put some out for decussion.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooooooooooo, nice. Not so much just the kO's but the overall strategy and combinations involved. Good hard fast matches with advanced technique are always fun to watch.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice, I like how it wasn't stopped constantly to award points

While the ITF does have rules for non-continuous point sparring, national and international competition are generally continuous; points are awarded by the corner referees (or, in this case, by a board sitting to one side of the ring) and are totaled after the match rather than during.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While the ITF does have rules for non-continuous point sparring, national and international competition are generally continuous; points are awarded by the corner referees (or, in this case, by a board sitting to one side of the ring) and are totaled after the match rather than during.

Yes alot of the point sparring matches around here last year went this way. It is so much better and help momentum when fighting.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Where are the rules for non-continuous point sparring? I have never seen any and even as far back as Gen. Choi's 1972 textbook the rules don't seem to stipulate stopping the action for awarding points (just for unfractions od the rules to issue warnings and deductions). Are you referring to official ITF rules or, perhaps, rules developed by the USTF for non-black belt competitions?

I'll have to check with my instructor. I know he competed a fair amount back in the 1970s, he might know if such rules were ever used at official ITF events.

Pax,

Chris

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are some for the ITF people as well. Link

Hwang Su Il, the gentleman of Korean extraction from Japan who is competing in the video, is awesome. I give him a lot of credit for taking that [illegal] headbutt from the North Korean competitor in a very stoic manner. Looked like it hit him pretty hard.

Pax,

Chris

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are the rules for non-continuous point sparring? I have never seen any and even as far back as Gen. Choi's 1972 textbook the rules don't seem to stipulate stopping the action for awarding points (just for unfractions od the rules to issue warnings and deductions). Are you referring to official ITF rules or, perhaps, rules developed by the USTF for non-black belt competitions?

I'll have to check with my instructor. I know he competed a fair amount back in the 1970s, he might know if such rules were ever used at official ITF events.

Pax,

Chris

The rules for non-continuous sparring (usually called point sparring) are very similar to the rules for continuous point sparring, except that any of the referees (usually the corners, but sometimes the center) can stop the match to call for points, which is then done immediately; points are determined by majority, as the 3 possible votes from each corner referee are "point" to red or blue fighter, "block" (which cancels out a "point" vote) and "couldn't see it" (which is neutral). A fighter must have 2 uncontested votes to score a point - which is what I meant when I said that a "block" vote cancels out a "point" vote. After the points are tallied the round continues.

The USTF used to do a lot of point sparring tournaments, especially at the local level, often for the kids' rounds while the adults' rounds would be continuous, until someone somewhere realized that students who train primarily for point sparring do one technique and then stop, waiting for the point to be awarded, which is rotten training for self-defense, and then they quit doing them very often. The rules were in the referee manual - I'd have to go find mine and check the dates, but it was in the mid to late 80s. I left the USTF in '96, so I don't know if they still do point sparring or not, but I have a book titled "Tournament Rules and Regulations Handbook of the United States Taekwon-Do Federation", dated 1991, which includes rules for non-continous sparring - I got it when I first took the referee certification course. I was under the impression that non-continuous sparring was done elsewhere in the ITF as well as the USTF, since that's where the USTF got it's rules - but again, only at the local level; anything beyond the local level was continuous. In this handbook, Section VI covers non-continous sparring, and Section VII covers continuous sparring

We do non-continuous sparring occasionally, because it gets students out of another mindset - counterfighting, which is a good strategy, but doesn't in all situations; point sparring means you have to go for the first point, because that's the only one that scores.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as I've heard, the only USTF area that still uses point sparring in tournaments is up in Washington state. Even then, they also do continuous sparring at their tournaments in a separate bracket.

Latest Discussions