1. Freestanding - Like the Century Wavemasters and the like
2. Hanging - Self-Explanatory, Mostly the ones that hang from a ceiling
3. Mounted - Bags that are on Punching Bag Stands

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of them. There's pros and cons to each. Personally, I like a freestanding BOB and a hanging bag.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want a rubber doll to beat up, go for the wave master.

If not, go for the hanging bag, if you have some where to hang it from
If not they the bag with a frame is the way to go

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As DD said, there's advantages to each. If I could have only one, I'd go with a hanging heavy bag. The frames limit access a bit, so I prefer a bag hanging from the ceiling where I can work all sides and move more, but the frame-hung bags are still good. For free-standing, I'd go with a BOB (preferably the XL). None of them really allow you to hit or kick as hard as the hanging bags (they'll fall over, and most have issues with the base if you hit them hard long enough), so I'd opt for the one that offsets that disadvantage with the psychological advantages of a human-shaped target, more specific options for targeting, and more body-like feedback.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I own a BOB XL. I bought it because I can’t hang a bag in my house nor use a bag hanger frame thing.

Everything’s got its limitations. The cheapest and worst hanging bag isn’t better than the absolute best freestanding bag. Quality varies. Hanging bags are TYPICALLY more durable, longer lasting, and can be hit harder than freestanding bags. Hitting them harder develops more power. If you hit many freestanding bags with full force, you’ll hit the inner core.

A well designed and filled freestanding bag doesn’t topple over very easily when hit right, contrary to popular opinion. The people knocking them over (when they’re properly filled and designed) are typically pushing them instead of striking them. Side kicks by nature are more of a driving kick, so they’re an exception IMO. Same for running and flying kicks. If someone is knocking over a freestanding bag while punching correctly, they’re either Mike Tyson or hitting too high up on the bag when it’s raised high, and physics moment arm type stuff takes over.

People bash freestanding bags because they’ll topple with a good side kick or flying kick. A hanging bag will swing all over the place, so IMO it’s really not much different.

All things being equal, I’d opt for a hanging bag every time. When the day comes that I live somewhere I can hang a bag, I’ll get a good Muay Thai bag. But I’ll also keep my BOB XL. There’s things I can do more effectively with the BOB that I can’t do with any hanging bag nearly as well - uppercuts and specific strikes to specific areas.

And for some reason, going 12 rounds with my BOB XL is far more motivating for me than with any other bag. I can easily tell if I hit my specific target rather than approximate it.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it all depends on your location and needs. A hanging bag is the best for hard strikes, but it needs something it can be hung from, and dedicated space. A freestanding bag topples over more easily, but also can be moved around easily and doesn't require you to modify your space.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They're all good.

But there's just something about a heavy bag hanging there. Daring you to get to work, begging you to hit it. You want to hit it and it knows this.

It needs you to fulfill it's purpose in life. Who are you to say no?

Reactions: pdg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They're all good.

But there's just something about a heavy bag hanging there. Daring you to get to work, begging you to hit it. You want to hit it and it knows this.

It needs you to fulfill it's purpose in life. Who are you to say no?
BOB has that same allure IMO, perhaps more of it.

Added benefit of BOB - it scares people. I had one in my room in college, and wandering housemates never really got used to it. Neither did a girl I was dating.

During summers, I kept it in my parents’ hallway right near the coat closet. My mother screamed a few times. Several guests got scared not realizing it was there. I heard one guy say “excuse me” to it when he bumped into it. My current BOB has been in my basement over a year now. The downstairs neighbors (who share the basement) tell me it still scares them from time to time. And it’s covered with a sheet.

It never gets old. Never scares me though.