Use head squeeze in ground game

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "side mount head squeeze" is not commonly used in the ground game. I assume people don't train head squeeze at all. If you can squeeze your opponent's jaw or temple and force him to tap out within 2-3 seconds, you can end the ground game soon.

Your thought?

side_mount_1.jpg

head_squeeze.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Squeezing the skull (temple) will not cause a tough opponent to give up. You can't produce unconsciousness or structural damage that way.

It is possible to apply dislocating pressure to the jaw and get a tap that way. There's more to it than just squeezing, though.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The "side mount head squeeze" is not commonly used in the ground game.
Do you have a pic or video of this side mount head squeeze? Your picture is of a pin, I believe its "Kuzure-kesa-gatame," which is a hold down. I would like to see the technique you are talking about.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have a pic or video of this side mount head squeeze? Your picture is of a pin, I believe its "Kuzure-kesa-gatame," which is a hold down. I would like to see the technique you are talking about.
I don't have the picture or video at this moment. It's similar to the following clip.

- You use left knee to apply arm bar on his left arm.
- When he resists, you guide his left arm toward his head. Let go his left arm. use both of your arms to squeeze his temple (or jaw) with your chest on top of his face.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Squeezing the skull (temple) will not cause a tough opponent to give up. You can't produce unconsciousness or structural damage that way.
Agree that if you can't generate enough pain on your opponent's skull, this move can be useless.

It depends on how much pressure you can generate on your head squeeze. The pain can be much more than the arm bar.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You aren't going to tap anyone that knows what they are doing with a head squeeze. If anything, I like squeezers because they burn out quicker.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have the picture or video at this moment. It's similar to the following clip.

- When he resists, you guide his left arm toward his head. Let go his left arm. use both of your arms to squeeze his temple (or jaw) with your chest on top of his face.

I think the chest on Top of his face is the major issue here, nOt the squeeze, just be careful you don't lose a nipple

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree that if you can't generate enough pain on your opponent's skull, this move can be useless.

It depends on how much pressure you can generate on your head squeeze. The pain can be much more than the arm bar.
Submissions are not about inflicting pain. They are about inflicting structural damage or causing unconsciousness. A technique which causes pain without producing one of those two outcomes will just motivate an opponent to hurt you back.

That's not at all the purpose of Kesa Gatame. First and foremost, it's a pin. Secondly, it can be used as a platform for setting up an arm bar (structural damage), neck crank (structural damage), choke (unconsciousness), or chest compression (unconsciousness).

BTW, the left arm is the most crucial element of maintaining the pin. Letting it go just so you can squeeze the head is a good way to get reversed.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Submissions are not about inflicting pain. They are about inflicting structural damage or causing unconsciousness. A technique which causes pain without producing one of those two outcomes will just motivate an opponent to hurt you back.
I don't understand your logic here. When you stab a knife into your opponent's chest, the deeper that you stab, the more pain you can generate. During that process, if you ask your opponent whether he is willing to quite and leave you alone, or you should stab your knife deeper, most of the time, he will say stop it and I give up.

Whether he will come back with a shot gun and shot you next day that will be a different concern. IMO, it won't make any difference whether you tap him out by arm bar or head squeeze.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand your logic here. When you stab a knife into your opponent's chest, the deeper that you stab, the more pain you can generate. During that process, if you ask your opponent whether he is willing to quite and leave you alone, or you should stab your knife deeper, most of the time, he will say stop it and I give up.

Whether he will come back with a shot gun and shot you next day that will be a different concern. IMO, it won't make any difference whether you tap him out by arm bar or head squeeze.

The use of a knife in a fight is not to inflict pain so an opponent gives up. The purpose of a knife in a fight is to kill or disable. It's actually fairly common for victims of a knife fight to receive lethal or incapacitating wounds and not even realize immediately that they have been stabbed. If you did get an opponent to give up by inflicting a non-lethal knife wound, it would almost certainly be the fear of death which lead to surrender rather than the fear of pain.

If you are inflicting pain that has no chance of actually causing damage, then you are unlikely to get a surrender from any kind of tough, experienced opponent. I'm not any kind of a professional fighter, but you can squeeze my head all day without getting a tap.

(This is not based on theory. I have thousands of hours of actual grappling experience. Lots of really strong guys have tried squeezing my head. It's not something I've ever even considered tapping out to.)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is possible to apply dislocating pressure to the jaw and get a tap that way. There's more to it than just squeezing, though.

Yeah. I was thinking maybe that rear naked mouth squeeze thing when you can't get the choke. But the angle would be a bit crap.

If I just wanted to inflict pain and I did not want to do the lung choke from there. Many some sort of Ezekiel might get them.

Latest Discussions