Best side kick I have seen on Youtube

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I once asked him if I could hold some kicking shields and have him side kick them as hard as he could. He said, "No, you don't want to do that." I said, "yes, I really do." That exchange was even repeated. But, no, I didn't listen.
I run into people like this from time to time. In situations like that, when someone says "No, you don't want to do that." Believe them lol.

"Doubt your instructor at your own peril."
It's easy to forget how strong some instructors are because they never really go more than 50% if that much. I'm willing to be that most who know how to drive the power probably never go past 35% - 40% unless it's with a person that they know can take the damage and protect themselves.

So that kick was life changing huh? lol You'll be 100 years old and will still be telling that story. lol

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the clarification.

A little trivia, even if he did have stripes, you wouldn't call him sir. The only time you'd ever call a guy 'sir' who had stripes on his arm is in basic training. Sir and Ma'am are reserved for officers in the military. Generally, you'd refer to enlisted personnel (people with stripes on their arms) by their rank: Airman, Seaman, Private, Sergeant, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. Seems I mis recalled. A post from a while back related him saying "Do you see any bars on my shoulder...."

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GM Yun had a nice side kick back in the day.

0:30

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I run into people like this from time to time. In situations like that, when someone says "No, you don't want to do that." Believe them lol.

It's easy to forget how strong some instructors are because they never really go more than 50% if that much. I'm willing to be that most who know how to drive the power probably never go past 35% - 40% unless it's with a person that they know can take the damage and protect themselves.

So that kick was life changing huh? lol You'll be 100 years old and will still be telling that story. lol

I wish it had been life changing, but I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Did the exact same thing with another instructor of mine years later. Same result.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish it had been life changing, but I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Did the exact same thing with another instructor of mine years later. Same result.
lol I should have trained with you. I could sit back and just watch you get blasted lol. You never learn huh? lol

Either that or you just want to feel the beating.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol I should have trained with you. I could sit back and just watch you get blasted lol. You never learn huh? lol

Either that or you just want to feel the beating.

Ed Parker had a saying, “To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, to feel is to believe.”

So, ya, that’s why. (yeah, that’s the ticket. Sure it is)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And he wasn't throwing that kick that hard, just fast. I know because I'm a fricking idiot. I once asked him if I could hold some kicking shields and have him side kick them as hard as he could. He said, "No, you don't want to do that." I said, "yes, I really do." That exchange was even repeated. But, no, I didn't listen.

I held three shields, and we had top of the line shields, had to with the people who came there. I had an inner tube shield sandwiched between two really thick shields.

When he kicked them, it was in a way that I had not seen him move before. And I actually had time to think, "This is really going to suck" as I was being propelled backwards. I, at least, was right about that, it really did suck. Both my feet were off the floor as I was going backwards. There was a wall behind me, way behind me. I broke two ribs hitting that damn wall.

The inner tube shield was a mistake, but if it wasn't there, I think the kick might have given me more than a couple broken ribs. I mean, it was fricken scary.

Note to self, "Doubt your instructor at your own peril."
My Kenpo teacher always said it was unnerving to look down the barrel at Joe Lewis.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, bent is good, very bent not so great. You are limiting your mobility and options of attack when a slight bent is good enough. Even if you don't want to follow up with another kick, a very bent leg undermines mobility.

As to forms: it signals bad flexibility and is less aestethically pleasing.
What you refer to as "very bent" in that photo is less bent than some of the positions we use for kicks in NGA. We're not a very kicking-intensive art, but we're pretty focused on mobility. There are MANY valid criticisms of our kicks, but lack of mobility is not one of them. A knee bent at that angle doesn't inherengly inhibit movement, though it may inhibit certain types of movement (I'm thinking specifically of the bouncy movement I've seen some folks use in sparring, which seems like it would be easier to maintain with a less-bent leg). If you're not dependent upon those types of movement, that's not a material issue.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might have the ability to strike consecutively but not as smoothly compared to a slight bent. It won't flow as naturally and efficiently.
How does the bend of the supporting leg inhibit the repeated strikes by the kicking leg?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more you ground yourself, the more your gravity is lowered, and the longer it is to unground and lash out a technique. You also lose time to extend a body that is tightened by the bending.
I'm not sure any of that is true. You don't have to "unground" to deliver a kick. There are folks who kick from very deep stances, and they kick from within those stances, rather than having to come out of them to kick.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to think that you get off a couch faster half way sitting, rather than almost sitting or actually sitting.

This isn't rocket science
And getting off a couch has very little in common with kicking. I think you're just arguing a point without real knowledge of the side you're arguing against.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he wasn't throwing that kick that hard, just fast. I know because I'm a fricking idiot. I once asked him if I could hold some kicking shields and have him side kick them as hard as he could. He said, "No, you don't want to do that." I said, "yes, I really do." That exchange was even repeated. But, no, I didn't listen.

I held three shields, and we had top of the line shields, had to with the people who came there. I had an inner tube shield sandwiched between two really thick shields.

When he kicked them, it was in a way that I had not seen him move before. And I actually had time to think, "This is really going to suck" as I was being propelled backwards. I, at least, was right about that, it really did suck. Both my feet were off the floor as I was going backwards. There was a wall behind me, way behind me. I broke two ribs hitting that damn wall.

The inner tube shield was a mistake, but if it wasn't there, I think the kick might have given me more than a couple broken ribs. I mean, it was fricken scary.

Note to self, "Doubt your instructor at your own peril."
You were that guy, eh. :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On day when you are 80 years old, you may still be able to throw a high front kick, but you may not be able to throw a high side kick. The side kick just doesn't stay with you as nice as your front kick during your old age.

I believe it has to do with the human joint structure. The side way split is much harder than the forward backward split.

Side way split:

side-split.jpg

Forward and backward split:

forward-split.jpg

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And getting off a couch has very little in common with kicking. I think you're just arguing a point without real knowledge of the side you're arguing against.

It's analogous to the body configuration before lift off

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's analogous to the body configuration before lift off
That'd be more analogous to the stance before the kick than the supporting leg during the kick. If you argued it's harder to kick TKD style from a deep stance, that'd be different.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That'd be more analogous to the stance before the kick than the supporting leg during the kick. If you argued it's harder to kick TKD style from a deep stance, that'd be different.

It applies to both

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How so? How does a bent supporting leg inhibit the kick, if it needn't move any further? You keep saying it is matters, but not how, other than some vague mention of mobility and repeated kicks.

We were talking about both fighting stance and stance during kick. Unneccesary bent leg during kicking phase does impact mobility moving forward, it does not neccesarily make you slower though. Having a very deep fighting stance to kick from however will make the travel path longer

Latest Discussions