How practical

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will expand on that. Generally what you do has to be worse than what they do. So you are trading a sore shin for a suplex.
My thinking is that if we were face to face, a stomping kick to the knee could be bad. If he had my back standing up, I was thinking that there are limited things to do, and possibly a surprise stomp with weight going down the shin could be effective.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My thinking is that if we were face to face, a stomping kick to the knee could be bad. If he had my back standing up, I was thinking that there are limited things to do, and possibly a surprise stomp with weight going down the shin could be effective.

Honestly you could out weigh me throw a pair of work boots on and kick like it is going out of fashion and I would not give up that position.

And your leg is in the air and you are not defending the takedown.

Good back control is really hard to get out of and really dangerous to be in.

That is why most defences have this forced let go idea. Because most of the time you will get bashed from there. And it is really irritating to train.

There is a wrestling apexing thing that I like that gives you mabye a 70/30 chance of escaping a guy who is really hanging off you.

But that is the best I have come across so far.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kicking an opponent is risky business, the knee is a bit safer, breaking your foot or twisting your ankle is bad news in a self-defense situation, I'm a puncher but I might kick if I had to.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. I will just throw this out there. A head kick is a dangerous prospect to face because if you get caught by a good one it can at worst knock you out and at best really hurt.

So most people counter defensively by either covering or moving back.

This gives the head kicker a free shot pretty much. Either he is going to hit you and you will go down or it gets defended and you are back to square one.

To counter a head kick offensively you have to risk wearing it. It is doable but it takes some stones.

So while there are some technical short comings to banging off wild kicks at people there are also advantages if you can fire off a hard quick accurate kick.

If you are like me and your head kicking is a bit iffy. Probably best not to.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not practical at all (if I am the user). In training they're great and fun. But if I need to be really fast I will be happy if my legs move at all (to a better position).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A wizzer might get some movement.
Here are examples that "leg skill' is more than just to use your foot to hit on your opponent's body.

Since I know what "wizzer" mean, I have to Google it. You are talking about "leg lift". The

- "leg spring" is a backward movement (if you want to have equal weight on both legs, I want you to have more weight on one leg),
- "leg lift" is an upward movement (if you want to have both feet on the ground, I want you to stand on one leg only).

When your opponent is behind you, both are used to change your opponent's weight distribution so you can take advantage on it.

Last edited:

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why is it when people talk self defence tactics they assume they are going up against a trained fighter and not some thug with no experience. the chances of going up against another martial artist would be slim considering we are all taught the same values and don't pick fights with people for no reason. Most people that train do not go out of there way looking to fight in the first place so it would be a rare occasion that you would get two MA guys squaring up against each other. Personally in reality I have never seen it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it when people talk self defence tactics they assume they are going up against a trained fighter and not some thug with no experience. the chances of going up against another martial artist would be slim considering we are all taught the same values and don't pick fights with people for no reason. Most people that train do not go out of there way looking to fight in the first place so it would be a rare occasion that you would get two MA guys squaring up against each other. Personally in reality I have never seen it.

Um, because we believe in training for the worst case scenario?
Most people, whether they train or not, do not "go out there looking to fight". But enough do - trained and untrained - that self-defense is or was a motivation for most of us to train.

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Cool, my worst case scenario would be getting set upon by multiple attackers and stabbed. We can only train to be the best as we can possibly be as an individual . But that one time we may need to resort to what we have learned, will we panic or respond accordingly. Hours spent in a dojo don't guarantee survival

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, my worst case scenario would be getting set upon by multiple attackers and stabbed. We can only train to be the best as we can possibly be as an individual . But that one time we may need to resort to what we have learned, will we panic or respond accordingly. Hours spent in a dojo don't guarantee survival

There are no guarantees in life. Training is not about guarantees. It's about stacking the deck in our favor.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The idea is that if you can handle a trained fighter then you can handle a thug.

Generally doesn't work the other way round.

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are no guarantees in life. Training is not about guarantees. It's about stacking the deck in our favor.
So true. As they say it's the one you don't see
The idea is that if you can handle a trained fighter then you can handle a thug.

Generally doesn't work the other way round.
I agree with what you are saying totally mate, I have just personally never seen two trained fighters going at it. That's all I meant, but yes I do see where you're coming from.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The majority of fights that I've seen rarely use kicks as well and when they do get used the person normally doing the kicking gets caught. Normally it's a handful of punches then it goes to the ground. Low kick are definitely more practical, less chance of getting your base leg swept out from under you.
I agree that a whole lot of kicks just get grabbed by, say, a Jiu Jitsu fighter who grabs the leg and takes the kicker down for a submission hold. This is where Taekwondo is unique, the speed of the kick makes it much more difficult for a grappler to grab the leg. Even in UFC (which I love I'm not trying to bash UFC) but yeah even in UFC I have seen some pretty weak kicks. I am not an expert in Taekwondo but I am learning how to kick like the crack of a whip, lift your thigh and extend your calf and immediately retract it, and after some practice you will be amazed at how fast you can kick. I was play sparring with my nephew and I told him to try to grab my leg when I was doing a regular kick and he grabbed it. Then I did a Taekwondo kick like 10 times and he was unable to grab it. So this is why a Taekwondo kick is very useful against a grappler as opposed to say, Muay Thai or Kickboxing, both of which are excellent martial arts, but Taekwondo has the fastest and most precise kicks.