Flying Side Kick

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
While there was a discussion about sidekicks earlier I have to say that the flying side kick is one of my favorite Taekwondo kicks, but I hardly ever get to train it. When I was at Stonehenge in the UK about 1 1/2 weeks ago I decided to finally have a 'Taekwondo show-off picture' taken. At least before I get older... ^^

And I chose the Flying Side Kick since I thought it may look the most spectacular on a photo. Plus my flexibility right now is pretty bad since I didn't get to train and stretch a lot during summer.

Anyway, I was surprised that it turned out so well - didn't expect that at all. I tried two different versions, one with both arms close to the body and another with the right arms streched at, parallel to the kicking leg. Unfortunately the arm wasn't parallel on one of the pics that turned out best:

10309660_10204626533080739_4891320685322546576_n.jpg

Besides a friend taking photos I had another friend shooting a video of my flying side kick attempts.

This kick looked even better, but unfortunately the picture didn't turn out that well:

Twio Yeop Chagi/?? ? ?? - Flying Side Kick - YouTube

And maybe I even inspired a kid to start Taekwondo. While it looks like the place was pretty empty on the pic and video it was a sunny Sunday and there were probably a few hundred people at Stonehenge. So one boy wanted his mum to take a flying side kick of him, too. I showed him how to do it and showed his mum what the best angle for taking it is. For never doing it before he actually did pretty well. :)

So let me know what you think. Maybe I'll take a pic at the Eifel Tower in Paris next - or at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. ^^

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's a great photo. Nice job! Whoever took the shot did a nice job as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love the picture. I may not be a fan of wearing the uniform in public places but I do like tha picture and yes if there where young people around you may have inspired one of them.
As for the flying side kick I remember it being used more in the olden days then I see it used today.

OP
Metal

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I also did a Flying Sidekick on a 1 1/8" board for the very first time as part of my 2nd Dan testing. I was so busy during the last months that I didn't find time to do a test run. Anyway, it went well - eventhough I did hit the board too early and/or jumpek to far or too early.

Anyway, check out the video and let me know what you think:

I also did a spinning hook kick and a right hand punch/left hand elbow back thrust simultaneously. Those breakings are in the video, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the picture. I may not be a fan of wearing the uniform in public places but I do like tha picture and yes if there where young people around you may have inspired one of them.
As for the flying side kick I remember it being used more in the olden days then I see it used today.

Wearing a TKD uniform at Stonehenge could well have been the least odd thing there lol :) Nice picture though, it's such a shame you can't get close to the henge anymore, they've cordoned it off because people were wearing the ground away.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice job, Metal! Nice spinning hook, too.
Keep training and keep up the good work.

D

Deleted member 32980

The problem for bigger guys is the height. You need to jump high. The problem with smaller guys is the mass/hit.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice. If you don't mind a small suggestion... On your spinning hook kick, I noticed that your knee was flexed when you hit the board. If you keep it straight, you'll have a more powerful kick, as well as impacting the board at the strongest point of the calcaneus.
Honestly, I think refraining from hooking the kick until after the point of impact may be the most difficult part of that kick, for most people.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice picture. If you don't get to practice the flying sidekick much in class than perhaps you should train in it on your own.

OP
Metal

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanx for the nice comments!

Very nice. If you don't mind a small suggestion... On your spinning hook kick, I noticed that your knee was flexed when you hit the board. If you keep it straight, you'll have a more powerful kick, as well as impacting the board at the strongest point of the calcaneus.
Honestly, I think refraining from hooking the kick until after the point of impact may be the most difficult part of that kick, for most people.

Yes, I started to flex the knee a little too early. There's usually two ways of how I kick the spinning hook kick, the 'traditional' way which I use for board breaking where I keep the kicking leg straight from the beginning and where I try to flex it at or after the point of impact. And then there's the competiton way where I try to kick it out similar like a turning back or turning sidekick. It's a little bit faster and way harder to recognize for the opponent, but I wouldn't try breaking a board this way.

Nice picture. If you don't get to practice the flying sidekick much in class than perhaps you should train in it on your own.

Thanx! Definitely, but in general I should train more. ;-)

I hope to get into a general routine of working on gaining more height. Gravity is my worst enemey. ^^

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

IMO for the spinning hook the Kicking side shoulder should pass the line of the target or at least reach it before the foot makes contact. Other thoughts?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I also did a Flying Sidekick on a 1 1/8" board QUO

Where are you located that boards are 1 1/8" thick? Our lumber is typicaly "1 x 12" which is the nomencalture for lumber that is actiualy 3/4" thick when finished. A "2 x 12" is 1 3/4 " .

OP
Metal

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO for the spinning hook the Kicking side shoulder should pass the line of the target or at least reach it before the foot makes contact. Other thoughts?

As with a lot of kicks I wouldn't say there's just one specific way to do it. I would just say that you should see the target when making contact and that the kicking foot should be parallel to the ground.

It's quite interesting that you mention the position of the upper body though. I didn't pay attention to that yet. Fortunately we now have proper slo-mo recording functions in smartphones. It seems as if my upper body leads the turn first, then stops and actually turns back a little into the opposite direction of the kick in the moment of impact and then follows the leg after impact.

Where are you located that boards are 1 1/8" thick? Our lumber is typicaly "1 x 12" which is the nomencalture for lumber that is actiualy 3/4" thick when finished. A "2 x 12" is 1 3/4 "

I'm based in the Germany and all tests that are conducted by the DTU (German Taekwondo Union - the national member organizaton of the WTF in Germany) and its regional unions require 30cm x 30cm boards (approx. 11 3/4" x 11 3/4").

The thickness depends on gender and age:

male 18-49: minimum 2,5cm (approx. 1") - it used to be 3cm (approx. 1 1/5")
female 18-49 and men 50+:: minimum 2cm (approx 3/4")
14-17 and female 50+:minimum 1,5cm (approx. 6/10")
7-13: 1cm (approx 3/8")

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree completely. The shoulder really should lead if you want maximum power. Getting the shoulder around first also helps with getting eyes on the target.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
General Chois prescription on the flying side kick:

Principles of a flying side kick:
!The kick must be executed when the body reaches the apex of the
jump.
! With few exceptions, the back must be straight at the moment of
impact.
! The non-kicking foot must be tucked and not drooped at the moment of
impact.
! Immediately after kicking, resume a good posture and balance.
! Proper stance must be regained at the moment of landing.
(Condensed Encyclopaedia. Gen

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is an epic photo! Great job.
In terms of the kick itself, based on the photo it appears you are striking with the whole bottom of the foot no?

Latest Discussions