Best side kick I have seen on Youtube

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were talking about both fighting stance and stance during kick. Unneccesary bent leg during kicking phase does impact mobility moving forward, it does not neccesarily make you slower though. Having a very deep fighting stance to kick from however will make the travel path longer
Those are two different things. One is part of the kick, the other isn't, so I'm not sure how we got into that side bit. As with most things related to stance, there are advantages and disadvantages to a lower fighting stance. As for the bent leg during the kick, you've made that statement several times, without suggesting how a bent leg during a kick alters forward mobility. You're standing with all your weight on that leg, bent or no.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having a very deep fighting stance to kick from however will make the travel path longer
This is not true. What increases the travel path is the angle of the kick and not the bending of the standing leg. You can literally draw a circle inside of a square and see that it the distance to the corners are a longer distance. So when you are doing stationary side kicks to the head, it takes longer to reach then the side kick to the mid section.

Bent knees are required for mobility. The more the knees are bent the more you'll be able to push off and the better your mobility will be. I spar from a low stance all the time and I have great fighting mobility.

You can see in the video for functional sidekicks.

You can't compare what looks good with what is functional. If all you care about is what looks good then you can just stay on that path. But don't assume that because it looks good that it is also functional.

Here is the problem.
1. You only have a limited definition of how a side kick must be done.
2. The way that you define the side kick limits what is possible
3. There are other ways to do a side kick and you just have to accept that in order to prevent making statements like what you made above, which represents a narrow scope.

If you truly have a great side kick then you should be able to launch that side kick from a variety of stance levels. In terms of "very deep fighting stance" I'm not sure what you consider deep, but I doubt it's the same definition for me. It theory that deep stances are used to deal with grappling attempts. Basically you are taking a lower stance to keep from having someone get under you. If you understand stances like that then the answer is simple. A deep stance isn't used for kicking, that's not it's primary function.

Is it possible to do a side kick from a deep stance? Yes. but that goes back to how you define side kick. All of my side kicks turn my hip over. This allows me to side kick from different stance heights. Do I see a need to do a side kick from a deep stance. Not really because it takes longer to set the kick up. But if I was given the opportunity to do one, I would probably take it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those are two different things. One is part of the kick, the other isn't, so I'm not sure how we got into that side bit. As with most things related to stance, there are advantages and disadvantages to a lower fighting stance. As for the bent leg during the kick, you've made that statement several times, without suggesting how a bent leg during a kick alters forward mobility. You're standing with all your weight on that leg, bent or no.
The reason it's not making sense is because he's thinking of a stationary side kick where you just stand in one place and kick. While that looks nice, it's not functionally realistic as people who are using side kicks in application are often moving around.

Edit: It also doesn't take into account that there is more than one way to do a side kick

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Kenpo teacher always said it was unnerving to look down the barrel at Joe Lewis.

It was sometimes, yes. But he was actually much nicer than the bad boy persona most made him out to be. He was very careful teaching classes, seminars, sparring or just messing around. But one time....

He's down my gym, don't remember if it was a seminar or a drop in, but we're on a break standing outside my office. We were facing each other, talking. I asked him about pain compliance techniques. He told me the problem with them is they don't usually work in the heat of battle, and you can't get them on in the heat of battle in the first place. He then said, "most of them."

Yeah, like I'm going to let that statement just hang there.

So I said something...

Joe was incredibly fast twitch. It was always like a light switch, zero to whatever in a click. Just like this time.

I never saw him move, he just grabbed both sides of my head with his hands, yanked me and grabbed me by the jaw....with his teeth. Yup, a bite. That he HELD.

About an inch from the tip of my chin, on the right. He called it a mandible lock or something like that. Said there's a nerve there that fingers are too thick to get to. Your front teeth, however, are a different story.

The only way I can describe what it feels like, is electrical. Honest to God it feels like an electric shock. Makes you stand up on your toes, too. Your body just goes that way, trying to ease it, I guess.

Then, through gritted teeth he said, "it keeps your hands free." Then we walked me out the door, easily opening it and just walking me, on my tip toes, outside. Freakiest feeling I ever had at the time. Didn't break the skin, didn't have to.

And, yes, I know all about "I ain't putting anybody's skin in my mouth". Can't say I blame anybody for that thought.

But this was a long time ago. We worked it a lot. Throw on the bite and grab their hands or arms, throw on the bite and grab their belt with one hand, their ear with the other, or their crotch and throat, or both ears, we worked it every which way. And just like everything else, some liked it one way and some liked it another.

But, man, that first time, yeah, buddy, it was looking down the barrel alright.....and then hearing CLICK.

EDIT. We did it a zillion times, and nobody in the dojo ever broke the skin, not once. Didn't have to.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was sometimes, yes. But he was actually much nicer than the bad boy persona most made him out to be. He was very careful teaching classes, seminars, sparring or just messing around. But one time....

He's down my gym, don't remember if it was a seminar or a drop in, but we're on a break standing outside my office. We were facing each other, talking. I asked him about pain compliance techniques. He told me the problem with them is they don't usually work in the heat of battle, and you can't get them on in the heat of battle in the first place. He then said, "most of them."

So I said something...

Joe was incredibly fast twitch. It was always like a light switch, zero to whatever in a click. Just like this time.

I never saw him move, he just grabbed both sides of my head with his hands, yanked me and grabbed me by the jaw....with his teeth. Yup, a bite. That he HELD.

About an inch from the tip of my chin, on the right. He called it a mandible lock or something like that. Said there's a nerve there that fingers are too thick to get to. Your front teeth, however, are a different story.

The only way I can describe what it feels like, is electrical. Honest to God it feels like an electric shock. Makes you stand up on your toes, too. Your body just goes that way, trying to ease it, I guess.

Then, through gritted teeth he said, "it keeps your hands free." Then we walked me out the door, easily opening it and just walking me, on my tip toes, outside. Freakiest feeling I ever had at the time. Didn't break the skin, didn't have to.

And, yes, I know all about "I ain't putting anybody's skin in my mouth". Can't say I blame anybody for that thought.

But this was a long time ago. We worked it a lot. Throw on the bite and grab their hands or arms, throw on the bite and grab their belt with one hand, their ear with the other, or their crotch and throat, or both ears, we worked it every which way. And just like everything else, some liked it one way and some liked it another.

But, man, that first time, yeah, buddy, it was looking down the barrel alright.....and then hearing CLICK.

EDIT. We did it a zillion times, and nobody in the dojo ever broke the skin, not once. Didn't have to.
Very interesting info there. And yes, my teacher never had a bad thing to say about Joe as a person.

I think his meaning was, getting ready to spar with Joe, he always knew it was gonna he one hell of a ride. Every time.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was sometimes, yes. But he was actually much nicer than the bad boy persona most made him out to be. He was very careful teaching classes, seminars, sparring or just messing around. .

Went to a couple of his seminars - hosted one. Always a pleasure. On one occasion he asked for a volunteer to punch him fill force I did. He gave me a couple of tries. I could feel the knuckles dig in. All he did was say "If I am sore tomorrow I will know why."

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Went to a couple of his seminars - hosted one. Always a pleasure. On one occasion he asked for a volunteer to punch him fill force I did. He gave me a couple of tries. I could feel the knuckles dig in. All he did was say "If I am sore tomorrow I will know why."

What did you hit him with?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I love that story. And loved that you volunteered!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very interesting info there. And yes, my teacher never had a bad thing to say about Joe as a person.

I think his meaning was, getting ready to spar with Joe, he always knew it was gonna he one hell of a ride. Every time.

It was a hell of a ride.

And as all of us age, we all lose people, that's life. But, man, I miss him.

When he was in the hospital he reached out for old photos, everyone sent them to him. I hope they made him smile.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong guys but Joe Lewis lost due to the new kick rule implementation (6-8 kicks per round) in the decision losses he had? From what people tell me, he fell in love with boxing and didn't care to kick enough, which hurt him on the scorecards.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love that story. And loved that you volunteered!
I was "That Guy" I know smart people don't volunteer when asked by the instructor at some seminars but I always had a great experience,

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score

So I said something...

You wouldn't happen to have a book on way, would you?
It would be on the top of my Christmas list lol

I never tire of gym stories and martial anecdotes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have a book on way, would you?
It would be on the top of my Christmas list lol

I never tire of gym stories and martial anecdotes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks, bro. Always meant to write one. Not that anyone would read it. I planned to call it “Confessions of a Dojo Rat.” Never got around to it, never seemed to have the time.

Have plenty of time now. But, when the pandemic came, I had just started writing a screenplay. Had written some twenty years ago, but the format has changed since then, which is a big deal. (Like major rules changes in MA competitions would be if you just walked into one, blind)

Spent a few months learning the nuances of the new format. Since then, been writing four to six hours a day, sometimes more, pretty much every day. Take three or four days off every month for burn out. That, and so you don’t go completely crazy. Writing a Romantic Comedy, The Taste of a Kiss. Coming out pretty good.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you have a comment about that kick?
I've got one. Sort of looks like a feint front kick (or targeting the knee to disrupt) then flipped into a roundhouse. IMO, the knee position and movement (always key in any kick) shown is not condusive to a good side thrust kick. To my sense, it should be more linear with the kicking foot chambered at, or close to, the supporting leg's knee. The kicking foot should then take a straight trajectory to the target and back.

A potential problem with the rear leg side kick is when pivoting the body, the kicking leg may have a tendency to rotate along with the body, giving it a circular arc, which appears to be shown in the video clip. IMO, the kicking foot (and knee) should travel in a straight line during the entire technique. In this way, it is similar to a thrust punch with the fist and elbow in line, providing maximum power and support structure.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you have a comment about that kick?
There is quite a lot wrong with that kick. The most prominent is how the kicking leg 'swings' up into the chamber. I often describe is as backwards circular motion (if that is even a thing). This motion makes it very easy to jam the kick and render it useless, often putting the kicker in a bad position.
There are other things to critique but after seeing the initial motion/chamber the rest of it is moot.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whang has some spazzy hands but he has the best side kick on youtube in terms of hip engagement (as with all his techniques).

He was had home training and then attended gradings, so form wasn't as sharp.

11:15

Latest Discussions