Belt so

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What or have you ever taken a student belt away for a matter of time for discipline action and if so how long did you do it for and what was the reason behind it?
Terry

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
any time a student forgets his/her belt, or an article of they're uniform, I make them wear the very feared "BELT OF SHAME". its either a very ugly, tattered pink belt, or a white belt that has the words "I FORGOT MY BELT!" written all around the belt.

it causes the children great embarrassment and has worked like a charm!

before, kids always forgot they're belt, or came to class with kool-aid stains on the Dobak, "BELT OF SHAME" change all of this, all it took was one time, the rest feared the "BELT OF SHAME" and everyone has bee very good about that since.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
more closely related to the topic, I have had to take up a child's belt and confiscate it for bad behaivor. I took him aside and explained to him that the other children look up to him for being a high ranker, and that his behaivor did not reflect that of a high belt-level student. he was to line up at the end of class behind the white belts meaning that he had no ranking in the class.

he earned it back by showing maturity and respect to his fellow students.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was only a white or yellow belt when the master suspended one student for disrespect and took away her belt. She was red at the time. She finally got it together after more than a year and came back to achieve her black belt. Did her good.

Otherwise, they usuallly just get their belts taken away for a week or two, until they improve. TW

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For students who forget their belt, I have a white belt that a student of mine tie-dyed - but that became a problem for a particular student who wanted to wear the tie-dyed belt; after the second time he showed up without a belt in 3 classes, instead of being loaned the belt, his shirt was taped shut with medical tape (since without a belt it was coming open).

I have only taken a belt (rank) away from a student once. I have a student who is developmentally delayed (adult) who has been in my class for 5 or 6 years, and is perfectly capable of following the class rules when he feels like it. When I was out of town for a week last year, I left my senior student in charge of the class (she was 19 at the time, and not as forceful as perhaps she should have been - but the only other adult black belt in the class was at the same TKD camp I was). His behavior was so poor - particularly in his disrespect to a black belt who was instructing - that I took his green belt away and gave him a yellow one, and told him that any further problems, and it would become a white belt. This has had a very positive, and long-term, effect on his behavior - much better than making him sit out of class, which is the only other thing that really has an impact. However, it can only be used sparingly - if he gets put back down to white belt, there's nowhere left for him to go.

I have also taken belts away temporarily during class, usually for gross breaches of class rules. Students have to state clearly what the violation was, what a more appropriate action would be in the future, and then (if appropriate) will have their belt returned. The first time it happens in a class, the impact on students who have never seen it is immense. The impact on students who have seen another have to wait for the next class to see if the belt will be returned is even greater. Other than the student described above, all students have had their belts returned, usually the same class.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee gave out many black sashes at Washington school & he also exspelled many for not being able to perform-disrespect-not paying monthly & yearly-& they were told not to use his name or claim it.Now that he is gone they come out of the wood work & do seminars to ride the coat tails of fame.I personly would not want to study from a school student (example - heigh school) if the dropped out-exspelled-not grad-got g.e.d.-or mial order certifacate.This gose for martial arts or any other profession I know of.Just a thought!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen a belt get taken away, but I've seen students do push ups according to their rank- 10 per rank (ie. white gets 10, yellow gets 20, etc.), and they're pretty much a "white belt" until they come back with their belt. Not very many people in my classes have forgotten the belt often enough for a more serious disipline.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I have seen the push up stuff. In Hapkido I have seen people get thrown ten times for minor infraction and twenty for a more serious one.