Belt Colours

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t really understand these examples. We have nationwide examination boards for school children so there is some standardisation across the country. The college stuff means nothing to me!

Your MA argument confirms that belts are really only for ā€˜internal purposesā€™. Only the exact same school can make direct comparisons with belts.
Agreed. College and university are also different for us, as is the other end. Kindergarten is preschool childcare here, before you start school, there it's for 5 years olds. Hence our confusion over the American advertising stuff some martial arts schools use here, suitable for American kindergarten children is not suitable for our kindergarteners aged 1-4.
American college though is very very different from anything we have lol.

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Belts only really serve to help the instructor keep track of who knows/is doing what, the student to keep track of their own progress and other newer students to know who might best be able to help in lieu of the instructor.

Its a convenient short hand that means nothing outside the school. I've never bothered with them, I know where my students are at. I do think gradings can be useful to help formally assess progress and give students something to aim for though.

The whole belt idea really got out of hand.

As for a black belt, it may as well be meaningless- it's something different for everyone. But generally black belts still need teachers. Everyone benefit from a good teacher or at least a coach, because there are always things you can improve on, always habits that you pick up without realising, always more you could learn, and someone else will always push you harder in training than you will push yourself.

I could go to my garage, do drills and hit a heavy bag, instead I go to Muay Thai classes, because it pushes me more, lets me do more things and I get feedback.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hopefully, self-study started at day one.
At day one you don't know what you don't know, and uninformed self-study can get you off track. At this point you need to be led and hand fed: Listen, watch, imitate, repeat. One of life's paradoxes is that the more you know, you discover more things you don't know. You get the skill to identify the important things yet unknown to you, a major step in learning. As a beginner I think one should stick with doing what you know and concentrate on getting it down with the instructor. No need to dive in alone when you don't know the depth.

Suppose you want to learn orienteering, how to navigate in the wilderness. You could just head on out and hope for the best. If you survive the first week, you may have learned something by self-study. But wouldn't it be better if you had a teacher to let you know what plants will kill you when eaten, how to do basic celestial navigation, or use a compass or map a little? Knowing these things before going out on your own would certainly make your solo journey more productive and allow you to learn a lot more than if you headed out on day one relying on haphazard self-study.

The more you know to start with, the more you are prepared to learn and explore. You know what kind of things are important and what things are not so you don't waste time and effort. Having a teacher gives you increasing returns on your investment in self-study. You are guided in your search for knowledge, keeping your study efficient and on track.

So, with a teacher, IMO, no self-study on day one (practice, YES), a bit once you get the basics down, a little more at the intermediate stage, get involved after black belt, and immerse yourself in self-study as you progress higher in degrees. Over the years you gradually decrease your reliance on your teacher and assume more responsibility for your quest. If you're not motivated to self-study, none of this matters. If you are motivated, do it with patience and guidance for best results. At least, this has been my experience.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But generally black belts still need teachers.
In ACSCA the 3rd degree BB is equivalent to teacher's certificate.

One of my students called me yesterday. He has 3rd degree BB, and taught in his own Sanda school for the past 25 years. He asked me to promote him into the 4th degree BB. I told him that in ACSCA, there exist no belt test after 3rd degree BB. Starting from the 4th degree BB, only the MA contributation can be used for promotion.

Since he is interested in his 4th degree BB, I gave him an assignment. The assignment is to integrate the Chinese wrestling leg skill into the 108 moves long Taiji form. The task is like a MA research work and the 4th degree BB test is like either a master thesis, or a PhD dissertation. I assume the 5th, or the 6th degree BB can be considered as postdoctoral research work.

The moment that you start your MA research work, you are on your own.

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole belt idea really got out of hand.
I think this is the crux of the issue. I donā€™t know the original intentions Kano Jigoro had in mind when he introduced the belt system of ranking but I assume it was to encourage children to progress, strive and practise hard for the next beltā€¦.children. But when starting out in a new endeavour, we all need a little external validation, even adults! Or do we? Kendo, Iaido and other traditional bugeisha donā€™t wear belts and yet they find the strength of will to continue training hard and from experience, it seems that it is the prospect of grading examinations that motivates. I have known many Iaido students who say theyā€™ll stop grading at some early point and just practise for the love of the art and lo and behold, after that point, they soon stop training at all.

Thus, Iā€™d suggest abolishing mudan belts (and while weā€™re at it, those silly, multiple yellow stripe on black belts - theyā€™re like those torso-full of medals that despotic dictators always sport) in order to deflate egos and increase the number of grading examinations. Gold lamĆ© hakama, however, could be used to indicate Super Omnipotent Grand Super-dooper Master. I would object to thatā€¦.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the crux of the issue. I donā€™t know the original intentions Kano Jigoro had in mind when he introduced the belt system of ranking but I assume it was to encourage children to progress, strive and practise hard for the next beltā€¦.children. But when starting out in a new endeavour, we all need a little external validation, even adults! Or do we? Kendo, Iaido and other traditional bugeisha donā€™t wear belts and yet they find the strength of will to continue training hard and from experience, it seems that it is the prospect of grading examinations that motivates. I have known many Iaido students who say theyā€™ll stop grading at some early point and just practise for the love of the art and lo and behold, after that point, they soon stop training at all.

Thus, Iā€™d suggest abolishing mudan belts (and while weā€™re at it, those silly, multiple yellow stripe on black belts - theyā€™re like those torso-full of medals that despotic dictators always sport) in order to deflate egos and increase the number of grading examinations. Gold lamĆ© hakama, however, could be used to indicate Super Omnipotent Grand Super-dooper Master. I would object to thatā€¦.
Different approaches work for different people. Some folks thrive with the motivation of a next rank, better than they might without it. I use ranks, but they are far-spaced (about a year minimum to each), so they arenā€™t a good focus for students. I mostly use them for some parity with others in my primary art.

Iā€™ve trained with and without ranks, and am neutral to them, overall. I find them very useful when covering another instructorā€™s classes or training at a school for a day or two, but less useful within a class I frequent (though they still have utility there).

I feel like (without personal experience in a system of the sort) frequent promotion with many colors and/or stripes might take focus from the actual learning.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t really understand these examples. We have nationwide examination boards for school children so there is some standardisation across the country. The college stuff means nothing to me!

Your MA argument confirms that belts are really only for ā€˜internal purposesā€™. Only the exact same school can make direct comparisons with belts.
For schools, you have a national standard to reference against. So a grade 2 student can transfer to another city and be assurrd of essentially the same curriculum. In the martial arts, the same can be said of some national or international organizations, like Kodokan judo. But walking into a judo club with a TKD black belt and expecting that your rank will transfer, won't fly. Totally different syllabus. I was a black belt in a Japanese jiu jitsu system when I started judo, I had to start as a white belt ( as it should be), as while there were obvious similarities between judo and jiu jitsu, I did not do things the " judo way". If you're suggesting a universal standard for martial arts in general, good luck.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The colored belts you are complaining about were not started by Kano, who had only white, brown and black. The colored belts ( yellow, orange, blue, etc) were introduced in Great Britain in the mid 1920's. Although Kawaishi is often credited for starting up the colored belt system in France, there are references to colored belts in the Budokwai records in 1926(1927?), before Kawaishi was even in France.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At day one you don't know what you don't know, and uninformed self-study can get you off track. At this point you need to be led and hand fed: Listen, watch, imitate, repeat. One of life's paradoxes is that the more you know, you discover more things you don't know. You get the skill to identify the important things yet unknown to you, a major step in learning. As a beginner I think one should stick with doing what you know and concentrate on getting it down with the instructor. No need to dive in alone when you don't know the depth.

Suppose you want to learn orienteering, how to navigate in the wilderness. You could just head on out and hope for the best. If you survive the first week, you may have learned something by self-study. But wouldn't it be better if you had a teacher to let you know what plants will kill you when eaten, how to do basic celestial navigation, or use a compass or map a little? Knowing these things before going out on your own would certainly make your solo journey more productive and allow you to learn a lot more than if you headed out on day one relying on haphazard self-study.

The more you know to start with, the more you are prepared to learn and explore. You know what kind of things are important and what things are not so you don't waste time and effort. Having a teacher gives you increasing returns on your investment in self-study. You are guided in your search for knowledge, keeping your study efficient and on track.

So, with a teacher, IMO, no self-study on day one (practice, YES), a bit once you get the basics down, a little more at the intermediate stage, get involved after black belt, and immerse yourself in self-study as you progress higher in degrees. Over the years you gradually decrease your reliance on your teacher and assume more responsibility for your quest. If you're not motivated to self-study, none of this matters. If you are motivated, do it with patience and guidance for best results. At least, this has been my experience.
No "self-study" on day one but "practice" is okay? Maybe semantics are at play here.

I also feel you are looking at it from the End of the journey, not form the beginning.

I fully agree with this. Of course, things practiced on your own are going to be 'rough and coarse' at least in the beginning. And of course, refinement most often comes through good instruction. These are a given to any experienced person, but the beginner needs the physical repetition before any refinement can even take place.
Bad habits can be picked up from self-training but if there is a reasonable amount of instruction, most thinking people can self-practice at least the basics. We always encourage our students to practice their forms at home so that they can at least get the pattern down.

Rather extreme, but I get the orienting course reference. It is just not an apples-to-apples comparison.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For schools, you have a national standard to reference against. So a grade 2 student can transfer to another city and be assurrd of essentially the same curriculum. In the martial arts, the same can be said of some national or international organizations, like Kodokan judo. But walking into a judo club with a TKD black belt and expecting that your rank will transfer, won't fly. Totally different syllabus. I was a black belt in a Japanese jiu jitsu system when I started judo, I had to start as a white belt ( as it should be), as while there were obvious similarities between judo and jiu jitsu, I did not do things the " judo way". If you're suggesting a universal standard for martial arts in general, good luck.
No, Iā€™m not suggesting a universal standardā€¦thatā€™d be trying to align apples andā€¦parmesan cheese! What I am pointing out is that very non-standardisation and the meaninglessness of the belt system outside of their art/association.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But when starting out in a new endeavour, we all need a little external validation, even adults! Or do we? Kendo, Iaido and other traditional bugeisha donā€™t wear belts and yet they find the strength of will to continue training hard and from experience, it seems that it is the prospect of grading examinations that motivates. I have known many Iaido students who say theyā€™ll stop grading at some early point and just practise for the love of the art and lo and behold, after that point, they soon stop training at all.
This got me thinking about the various arts that I have experienced enough to talk about (TKD, BJJ, and Wing Chun). Of these, only Wing Chun did not use any form of belt system... or did they?

When you started (at the school I training at which only accepted adult students) you were a "first form student ". There were no uniforms or outward symbols worn. It was a small club, so everyone knew who everyone was. Once the Sifu felt your grasp of the first form syllabus was sufficient, you became a second form student, etc. Once all the stages had been reached, a student stayed (or didn't) for the love of training.

Is this really all that different than in my TKD system? Sure we use an outwardly visible symbol to mark progression, but we both have a structured program for specific levels. In some ways, perhaps this is one of those "distinction without a difference" situations. I think most arts have a "belt system" they just call it something else like syllabus progression.

The only art that I think could easily ditch the belt and not see any change to their instruction methods (in many cases) is BJJ. From what I've seen most places, they do not use a structured program (learn these moves at white belt, then these moves at blue, etc). From my perspective they instead seem to use the belts to differentiate ability levels on a more subjective scale. (Of course I'm sure there are plenty this does not apply to).

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what black belt rank means in your system. Any BJJ black belt should be capable of continuous improvement via effective self-study.
I Agree but I'd also add that any blue belt should be capable of that, and maybe that's a great example to ponder on.

The BJJ blue belt phenomenon, right? Why do so many leave after they get the blue one? I posit it's because they aren't into continuous self improvement, they wanted a badge and the very basics of the art. It's understandable, man, after long study, but it's also sad that for most people, a black belt is not something most people have time to get (unless it's a mill and you can just pay money for it). What's it 10 years for a BJJ black belt? OH well. I'd love a BJJ black belt, who has the time. Really, lend me some.

Right now, I'm pondering where to train next and I'm leaning boxing again. Haven't done that in about 10 years, but I'm ready, and the best part is the only belt is one that keeps my guts tight and in place so I don't herniate myself throwing hooks.

$69.99.

1666625387451.png

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Agree but I'd also add that any blue belt should be capable of that, and maybe that's a great example to ponder on.

The BJJ blue belt phenomenon, right? Why do so many leave after they get the blue one? I posit it's because they aren't into continuous self improvement, they wanted a badge and the very basics of the art. It's understandable, man, after long study, but it's also sad that for most people, a black belt is not something most people have time to get (unless it's a mill and you can just pay money for it). What's it 10 years for a BJJ black belt? OH well. I'd love a BJJ black belt, who has the time. Really, lend me some.

Right now, I'm pondering where to train next and I'm leaning boxing again. Haven't done that in about 10 years, but I'm ready, and the best part is the only belt is one that keeps my guts tight and in place so I don't herniate myself throwing hooks.

$69.99.

View attachment 29190

Ah but silky red, blue or white shorts? Transparent mouth guard or black. You are not free yet.šŸ˜ˆ

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How long do you think one will still need MA teacher after BB?

- 5 years?
- 10 years?
- 20 years?
- for the rest of his life?
I have to say some of the saddest days of my life have been when my mentor/ teacher has past on. I have always liked the word "reverberation" Nice to be told that, "Now he is within you. He taught you so that you can carry things on" But there is always that little thing that he never taught you. In Japanese the wording on certification you get as a qualified beginner (first degree) and that of classical art where one headmaster qualifies a new one is the same. It says, "You still have lot to learn".

Diaitadoc

White Belt
Reaction score
Iā€™m fine with belt ranks for internal use within a club / organization, but they are of little value when trying to evaluate real-world martial skill.

Tournament rankings could be seen as a more useful metric when it comes to determining martial ability, but even there the tournament circuits vary not only in terms of events & rulesets, but also in terms of how points are awarded and combative matches are made.

Iā€™m not well versed in form competition; I have little interest in it & donā€™t know the intricacies of the judging system.

I AM, however, very interested in sport fighting reform (and I will preface this by saying that I am firmly in the ā€œsport fighting is better for unarmed self-defense than self-defense classesā€ camp, just so you know where I stand before responding with a ā€œbut art xyz doesnā€™t compete because itā€™s too dangerousā€ type response).

When it comes to sport fighting, regardless of ruleset, the tournaments are either set up as round robins with points determining who goes to the elimination finals, or are strictly elimination based from the beginning.

I understand the rationale for both setups, especially in situations where the tournament is held infrequently.

When it comes to professional sport fighting, however, the matchmaking is quite different. It is often done on the basis of what a fighterā€™s win/loss ratio is, as well as quite simply what the promoters think will make for a profitable matchup. Actual skill is rarely factored into the matchmaking, except at the very highest levels, and there it is often simply by default.

I think that sport fighting could benefit greatly from some form of rating/ranking system similar to the ELO rating system in Chess; a system where, based on your performance, your rating goes up or down proportionally according to the rating of your opponent.

For example, a newcomer (white belt) might be given a default rating of 400; and, if matched against another newcomer with the same rating, a win would give them +7 points, while a loss would give them -7 points, so the victor would end up with a rating of 407, while the vanquished would end up with a rating of 393.

on the other hand, if a white belt with a 450 rating matched with, say, a green belt with a 675 rating, it would be much less equal, in the sense that the chances of the white belt winning would statistically be much lower; and so if the white belt WON, they would gain way more points, say +15, putting them at 465, and the green belt would lose an equal amount of points, say -15, putting them at 660. But if the green belt WON, which is the statistically expected outcome, then they would only gain maybe +3 points, putting them at 678, and the white belt would only lose 3 points, putting them at 447.

This type of rating system could work really well both in-club on a regular basis, and also provide tournaments with a way to both seed competitors according to ratings instead of belt levels, as well as offer official rating changes which could be carried over from tournament to tournament (or even match to match, if there were some sort of standards in place which guaranteed standard rulesets across clubs & tournaments, and perhaps if the governing body/organization was given the task of tracking ratings instead of rankings).

Anyway, thatā€™s my two cents worth of drivel added to this convo.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tournament rankings could be seen as a more useful metric when it comes to determining martial ability, but even there the tournament circuits vary not only in terms of events & rulesets, but also in terms of how points are awarded and combative matches are made.
While this is true, it makes it difficult to assess hobbyists who might have a lot of skill and experience, but just don't have the tournament wins. It also makes it difficult to assess for those arts that are primarily test-driven, in which you may not have many (or any) opportunities for tournaments.

For example, if your Taekwondo school only goes to competitions twice per year, then you're going to have less of a tournament record than someone who goes to a tournament every month. You're also going to have less experience in tournaments, and your curriculum is probably less focused as well. A competitive school may spend 80% of their time on sparring and 20% on forms, where a more "traditional" school may spend 20% on sparring, 30% on forms, 30% on self-defense, and 20% on weapons. This means that a green belt with 1 year in each school will have 80 hours of sparring practice and 10 tournaments in the competitive school, and only 30 hours and 1-2 tournaments in the other.

For the purpose of competition, the "traditional" school is objectively worse, but that assumes your primary goal is competition. If you also want to learn the other stuff, then it is objectively better.

I do wish there were separate brackets for competitive schools and noncompetitive schools. Sort of like how many video games have ranked and unranked ladders.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poster often write that theyā€™re a green, orange or blue belt, but am I right in thinking this means nothing since it probably depends upon the art as to what colour is what level? Ihave no 9dea of a posterā€™s level from the colour of their belt! Does the Japanese ā€˜kyuā€™ system not exist in the USA for Japanese MA?
It is not only nearly meaningless outside of a given art, it's often meaningless from dojo to dojo. It is what it is. I think of it as a rough guide. Each dojo is different in terms of standards. Each person is different in terms of how well they can express their art. I don't get too worried about it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Poster often write that theyā€™re a green, orange or blue belt, but am I right in thinking this means nothing since it probably depends upon the art as to what colour is what level? Ihave no 9dea of a posterā€™s level from the colour of their belt! Does the Japanese ā€˜kyuā€™ system not exist in the USA for Japanese MA?
Different styles and different schools have different belts and different colors and they go into different orders. You also have to take into account the requirements and difficulty of getting belts at one school vs another. For instance they say getting a purple belt in BJJ is like getting a black belt in most other styles, in terms of the time, skill requirements, and difficulty in getting it. And black isn't always the highest color, there are some styles with higher colors such as in Gracie Jiu Jitsu the highest belt is the red belt.

Latest Discussions