Being Bullied and dont know what to do? Having trouble speaking up

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If someone tries to use his face to break your knee, that may not be your problem. :)

A: Dear judge! When he used his face to attack my knee, I didn't move my knee away fast enough.
B: ... :arghh:
I'm going for the Kung Fu doesn't work plea. Your Honor, everyone knows that Kung fu is just for show and that no one can actually use it to fight with. lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dont think the just ignore them part works. I dont say anything back and try to pretend I dont hear them.
I said, ignore them. Not to pretend that you didn't hear them. Those are 2 different things. They are watching your reactions so they already know if you heard them or not.
Feel free to look at which one is saying the bad things, so you know exactly who is causing you problems. Watch their reactions as you look back at them. See which one feels uncomfortable with you looking back at them. Take note of the distance. Do they make fun of you at a distance or are they close and in your face? Use it as an opportunity to see how they react to you. Then calmly turn around and go about your business.

Maybe I look scared or uncomfortable and they can see its bothering me so thats why they keep doing it?
yeah they will keep doing it to you if you look scared. They will take it as a sign of weakness and will continue because they know their no risk to their actions.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suggest Kenpo Karate is good for u kenpo works in multiple attacker and it will give you self Confidence self esteem and self control

Its ok to be shy nothing wrong with it and sooner or later you can speak in class and show themn wzupp

Forget those bulliest they aint nothing sooner of later karma will get to them

Just prove to your self i can do this no one is gonna stop me and im gonna speak in class watch your teacher and parents be amaze

Prove to your bullies that you can fight for your self and make those bullies think twice

I was in your case before and i was born with learning disability means i learn slow so yea they make fun of me to but i prove them wrong and the bullies i had in highschool their my friends now
Martial arts is Awesome

Tell your dad to take a chill pill every thing is gonna be alright

sddoherty

White Belt
Reaction score
Im 15 year old boy. Sophomore in high school. Ive been bullied and made fun real bad since probaly 5th or 6th grade. Im extremely shy. When i have to speak in class I start shaking and get very scared. I will skip class or fake being sick if i have to give a talking assignment in class. I have no real friends and people are mean to me. Im not sure whats wrong with me. They took me to a therapist and I think they said I had an anxiety disorder but my dad disagrees and says they just want to put me on meds to make money off us and that I just need to quit being a coward.

My dad dosent understand i dont think. Just says i need to fight them and its good for me and its how you become a man, You earn respect that way is what he says. He calls me the P or coward word and punishs me for not fighting. My mom and dad argue and fight all the time so its not nice at home. Not to much hitting but very bad verbal abuse.

I overheard my mom suggest martial arts and dad said thats the "fancy way of fighting" and he is not sure it even works. And to him that kicking stuff is for the P word. Said its simple i just need to throw punches and that he has been in a lot of fights and no one has ever used that stuff.

i dont know what to do i dont feel like im normal and something is wrong with me? I cant seem to talk to people or in front of people and when some one is mean or makes fun of me I cant seem to do anything to stop it.
Since school is virtual at this moment its better because I dont have to deal with people in person but when we go back I know it will start up again. No problem with cyber bullying just in person.

Any help?
I would recommend High School wrestling.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I say boxing. You need some degree of toughness to you to make TMA work, and making you tough is not a focus of TMA. Boxing will make you tough. Wrestling will too, but like drop bear said, you'll probably end up on the mat with the guys bullying you. The upside of that could be turning your enemies into friends.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You need to tell someone. A teacher a therapist anyone....because that’s not on...not at all and something should be done.

If you get physically attacked then you should defend yourself sure but best way is tell the teacher. Yes I know there’s that nonsense about being a snitch or a grass or a rat or whatever but forget that nonsense and yeah a therapist probably is the best idea for you.
Telling a teacher is futile. My inlaws (wife's family) have generations of educators among them, and they can tell you this (some have admitted to being guilty themselves) and I witnessed it a few times.

The truth is that if a kid in school is very popular and liked by all of the other kids, guess what? Teachers are human beings that do not live a separate bubble from the students. They like the kid just as much as all the other kids do.

If you're a dork, and no one likes you? Same thing. Many of these teachers actually take pleasure in watching you get bullied. And this is a painful truth that many don't want to hear.

If you're going to tell someone, you're better off getting the police involved.

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad says being a snitch is is the worst thing you can be and he hates that even more then being a coward. So if I tell someone I am scared I'll go home and get in even worse trouble.

Other problem is we dont have much money I dont think. So i dont think he would want to pay for martial arts or boxing training.

Where in DC? NW, NE, SW, or SE? How old are you?

If you're in the 'hood, telling teachers is going to get you F'ed up worse, but I'm sure you already know that. Teachers can't do S really, esp. in the 'hood. Most of them are just riding it out until pension day. While your dad may be wrong about a lot of things, he's pretty accurate on how the 'hood operates; which is by quasi-prison rules. At some point, you prob. will need to fight.

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if you're in the US or not, but the way the US school system works is that instigation is tolerated while standing up for yourself is punished. Regardless, it is a very good idea for you to learn a martial art for the purpose of standing up to your bullies. Even if it gets you suspended by some crabby teacher who hates their job, the habit of confronting your enemies is a skill that will benefit you greatly later on in life.

I wish you luck in your pursuits.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if you're in the US or not, but the way the US school system works is that instigation is tolerated while standing up for yourself is punished.
^^^This. And the fact that, in practice, it's only considered to be "bullying" when an un-popular kid does it. I actually had to deal with this issue concerning my oldest daughter a few years back.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if you're in the US or not, but the way the US school system works is that instigation is tolerated while standing up for yourself is punished. Regardless, it is a very good idea for you to learn a martial art for the purpose of standing up to your bullies. Even if it gets you suspended by some crabby teacher who hates their job, the habit of confronting your enemies is a skill that will benefit you greatly later on in life.

I wish you luck in your pursuits.

It depends on the City & State. In Liberal/Leftist areas, some won't allow the teachers to touch the students so they can't break up fights. Just suspend and/or expel them afterwards. Then the bad kid would need to relocate after expulsion. But they can only do this a few times until they run out of schools w/i reasonable distance; as it could be deemed "racist", among other things, to deprive them of an education. After that, they can't really do anything & many bad kids & bad parents know this; so if this was the bad kids' last stop of expulsion, then whomever is getting bullied, is screwed.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions here. May I also suggest you get a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People. It will help a little.

Latest Discussions