Be careful

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm less bothered by the idea of an occasional punch to the head than someone messing with my joints without control.
This is my biggest concern as well. Joint locks are my least favorite techniques to teach. An out of control punch can be blocked but an out of control joint lock almost guarantees serious damage.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is my biggest concern as well. Joint locks are my least favorite techniques to teach. An out of control punch can be blocked but an out of control joint lock almost guarantees serious damage.
I'm the opposite. I've taken enough uncontrolled shots to the head, and have enough memory issues, that I'm more concerned about that. If my arm gets messed up, that sucks, but I'll survive. If my head gets messed up, that's a bit different.

D

Deleted member 39746

All of your body is of equal importance. You can cut your life short if you loose any limb or function of it, compared to just dying right there and then if you take a head injury though. Your economic circumstance and country impacts both quite a bit.

But damn do concussions suck, i think i have had a few of them/head related damage, not really experienced joint issues from locks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I've taken enough uncontrolled shots to the head, and have enough memory issues, that I'm more concerned about that. If my arm gets messed up, that sucks, but I'll survive. If my head gets messed up, that's a bit different.
I think we all tend to try to avoid whatever we've been most injured by. I have long-term issues with a shoulder probably due to an overly enthusiastic technique by a training partner. I've never received a concussion from a punch/kick (I think I've had a couple of minor ones from bad falls).

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's probably the only thing that I would say is negative about martial arts...the ego trips and abuse of knowledge and power!!! These beautiful systems....its unfortunate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's probably the only thing that I would say is negative about martial arts...the ego trips and abuse of knowledge and power!!! These beautiful systems....its unfortunate.
In that regard, it's no different from any other sport. You can find those same ego trips and abuses of power - with similar negative effects - in football, soccer, basketball, etc...unfortunately.

Latest Discussions