Be careful

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I posted this on the Krav Maga page but I thought it would also be relevant here.

My son was used in a demonstration of a clinching technique in a Krav Maga class. The instructor pinched off the arteries in my son's neck and proceeded to drag him around the room by the neck.

The upshot? Stroke. My son survived but he will never participate in a martial arts class, skiing, or any other rigorous activity for the rest of his life.

The club owner has since sold the business and moved to Europe.

Remember the term "trusted partner."

There will be on way to get compensation for his injury. All that is left is to say...BE CAREFUL!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted this on the Krav Maga page but I thought it would also be relevant here.

My son was used in a demonstration of a clinching technique in a Krav Maga class. The instructor pinched off the arteries in my son's neck and proceeded to drag him around the room by the neck.

The upshot? Stroke. My son survived but he will never participate in a martial arts class, skiing, or any other rigorous activity for the rest of his life.

There will be on way to get compensation for his injury. All that is left is to say...BE CAREFUL!
Wow...so sorry.

We do a lot of clinching and a lot of choking techniques. This begs to know the rest of the story. How long did the instructor do this for. Was he actually choked or strangled out? What is your son's age? Were there health issues known or unknown?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really bad. I'm sorry to hear that.

The part that made me cringe, literally, was the "drag around by his neck" portion. What was that about, other than a something about the instructor's own self-image. A "Look at Me," I'm a bada$$" thing.

That's really tough.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A very, very terrible thing to hear. I am so sorry for your son and your family. If it helps, the people here on the forum are here to listen and converse. Sometimes that helps the process.
Being like minded, most of us have lots of questions, how/when/why, etc... It may help prevent a similar incident in the future by getting the experience out for others to hear about.

OP
P

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will talk to him and see if he is willing to part with more specific information.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

This is simply unacceptable. And unconscionable as well.

Very little makes me angry... but an instructor should know how dangerous techniques are.... and when doing a demo with an uke, care must be taken to prevent injury.
Reading this makes me pretty mad. Because this was preventable.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is terrible. Very sorry to hear that you and your family had to go through this.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very sad to hear. Always horrible situations. But I see a lot of people blaming the instructor. Now I'm not saying he's innocent as I have no idea. But how old was the son? I mean if he was like 6 then yeah totally wrong from him to demonstrate like that but if he was 20 then he might've just been drilling with him or clinch sparring and accidents happen in that sort of thing. Same way someone can get a broken arm or go unconscious in bjj.

Now I mean no offence because either way it's a horrible horrible situation and not sticking up for the instructor. I'm just saying we can't automatically blame him since we don't have all the details of what happened

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The martial arts community at large has gotten too casual about the notion of "choking someone out". There is a reason that police forces have been more and more restricted on these techniques.

I'm sorry about your son. The instructor is at fault, end of story.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The martial arts community at large has gotten too casual about the notion of "choking someone out". There is a reason that police forces have been more and more restricted on these techniques.

I'm sorry about your son. The instructor is at fault, end of story.
No one got choked out though

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My condolences. I truly hope that the medical evaluations are wrong, and that he will be able to again lead an active lifestyle at some point, if not to the extent he was used to, then at a level he can find fulfillment in. Unfortunately, strokes caused by chokes are a very real risk, and there needs to be more education done regarding said risk.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My condolences. I truly hope that the medical evaluations are wrong, and that he will be able to again lead an active lifestyle at some point, if not to the extent he was used to, then at a level he can find fulfillment in. Unfortunately, strokes caused by chokes are a very real risk, and there needs to be more education done regarding said risk.
As I said before it wasn't a choke