Basic Self defense class @ work..suggestions

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been working for an Internet service provider for about 6 months now, and I have been approched by many co workers asking me if I taught karate classes, which I responded with a yes...and many of them expressed interest in a basic self Defense class....

I have gone to our HR department, and they were excited that I was wanting to do it, I just had to send an e-mail to them stating what the class would entail, also when where, etc etc...

So my question to everyone here is...what do you think about a self defense class promoting awareness, higher self esteam, and a healthy body, in the work place....of course not during my working hours, it would be off the clock, and free...at least for the first month or two, to see if people are intrested....How much do you think I should charge, when/if I ever do...also what kinds of things do you think I should teach...What are your views ethically on MA at work in a controled enviroment

lets keep in mind I do have a teaching certification and the belt rank requirement from my dojo and association, and have already have gotten permission from my instructor to do the class and in fact will be attending/watching etc...maybe even helping (most likely will)

So you thoughts please

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a bad idea..When my stepdaughter worked for this coporate office the gave FREE lessons to any and all employees that wanted to attend..It was on their lunch hour an the coporate paid the Instructors//

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So my question to everyone here is...what do you think about a self defense class promoting awareness, higher self esteam, and a healthy body, in the work place...

I can't think of any reason why not... but if it's SD they want, woudn't you want to pair awareness with material relating to the most common half-dozen or so initiations of a violent attack; how to assess the rising level of threat; how to counter the preliminary set-ups such as grabs/grips, pushes, diversions to allow sucker punches and the use of verbal tactics to intimidate the potential victim into nonresistance? Self-esteem and healthy body etc. are all very well, but these are probably long term personal issues that shouldn't deflect the main purposes of SD training: keeping you out of harm's way if it can be helped, and leaving you the one standing if it can't be.

All the self-esteem in the world won't help you figure out what to do about that left hand suddenly gripping your shirt front a split second before the right hand comes circling around in a blur at your head... it's handling that kind of very basic make-or-break scenario that I suspect most people want training in, when they approach an MAist for instruction in SD.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So my question to everyone here is...what do you think about a self defense class promoting awareness, higher self esteam, and a healthy body, in the work place....of course not during my working hours, it would be off the clock, and free...at least for the first month or two, to see if people are intrested....How much do you think I should charge, when/if I ever do...also what kinds of things do you think I should teach...What are your views ethically on MA at work in a controled enviroment

lets keep in mind I do have a teaching certification and the belt rank requirement from my dojo and association, and have already have gotten permission from my instructor to do the class and in fact will be attending/watching etc...maybe even helping (most likely will)

Personally, I think its a great idea! I did something similar at my last Base and it was a big success. Basically the same idea, taking 20-30 completely untrained people and giving them a very basic self defense syllabus.

I think you're right in making it free at first, following that, the price should definately easily affordable and on a class to class basis rather than by the month. This would give people more flexibility.

As for what you should teach. There is way too much in this topic to cover in one short class. I would suggest the very basics. Possibly 1 or 2 wrist grabs, a few basic shirt grabs, possibly a head lock or bear hug. It is very difficult to make self defense realistic, so teaching the basics, such as joint locks and pain compliance will at least give them a basis. The most successful part of the class I taught was the question and answer section. People were very interested and asked about situations that we would have never thought to teach. A good portion of the class stayed after for more instruction as well.

Ethically - I'd say go for it, I see no problem with it. It was requested and approved and has gone through the proper channels. Your peers are adults, they can handle it.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think its a great idea, especially if others at your workplace are interested.
My teacher taught a number of SD seminars for our Department of Foreign Affairs and they were very successful.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds great - you could include information regarding workplace violence, too. ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends a lot on your audience. Some people will take to it and learn useful things. Others will not respond well to that particular approach.

I would strongly caution you against equating karate (or any martial art) with self defense even or especially in the privacy of your own mind. I include the stuff I do in that caution. While martial arts may be useful for self protection the goals, time scales, teaching tools and best-bet mental attributes are very different.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have actually done this and set one up in my workplace with my instructors providing much of the material... it was a six week, 1 1/2 h per class session. We did not make it free, since paying a bit of money gives people a reason to keep attending; I think it cost around $30 each for the course, which the company met as well.

We focused on a few basics, including situational awareness, holding yourself and moving with confidence, etc. We also taught some wrist & lapel grab escapes and counters, choke escapes, a few vital points that they could aim for, etc. An introduction to some of the weapons they always have (hands, feet, teeth, etc,) and some that are usually within reach (pens, chairs, bottles, etc.) Usually one theme per class.

Our main goal in this was to get through the concept that you always have choices, and that in many situations compliance is not an option. The techniques taught were used as a basis to show how to resist various attacks and to give people the confidence to know that they could fight back.

Come to think of it, it might be time soon for a refresher course... I'll have to talk to HR about it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to get those books?: Verbal Judo! , Tongue FU!
and the "Gift of Fear," for added resources to you class.

If you can get a veteren police office to come over for an one hour class to speak of escaping or prevention,& question and answer sessions, would add to your overall knowledge to the students.

The Key is teach them awareness, TRUST their intincts, and feelings....know what to do! Example: walking to their car in a parking garage...for some reason they feel unsafe this night? (what should they do? ...one call the police for asistance to walk to the car,(NOT 911). go back to the office and have someone come down to walk you to the car! or call home and have someone asist you!

Teach them 3 very simple techniques to escape and cause some kind of damages to attacker so they can run/escape away.

Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea.
Better still if you can somehow get your work place to pay you for teaching it to their people
Awearness training, legal problems should be discussed along with SD

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In general, if you are making your services available for free, then your employer carries most of the legal obligations.

Once you start charging, you take on more legal obligations personally.

Self defense classes at work means people touching each other in the workplace. I would encourgage you very strongly to understand the legal implications of the sexual harrasment laws that apply to you and your co-workers. By understanding, I don't just mean skimming through the law and nodding your head...I mean understanding how the law has been applied and what risks pertain to you.

Consult with a qualified labor law attorney in the state(s) where the training will be performed, and/or contact a Human Resources consulting firm with expertise in employment law.

In legal matters, an ounce of prevention is worth several hundred pounds of cure.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In general, if you are making your services available for free, then your employer carries most of the legal obligations.

Once you start charging, you take on more legal obligations personally.

Self defense classes at work means people touching each other in the workplace. I would encourgage you very strongly to understand the legal implications of the sexual harrasment laws that apply to you and your co-workers. By understanding, I don't just mean skimming through the law and nodding your head...I mean understanding how the law has been applied and what risks pertain to you.

Consult with a qualified labor law attorney in the state(s) where the training will be performed, and/or contact a Human Resources consulting firm with expertise in employment law.

In legal matters, an ounce of prevention is worth several hundred pounds of cure.

Good points Carol; I forgot to mention that before taking any of the course material, the students had to sign waivers to cover company liability (similar to the ones we have for a fitness room on site) and specific waivers for my dojo whose instructors were presenting the class material.

These waivers were designed primarily as protection in the case of injury, not specifically covering sexual harrassment-type situations. For the latter, we were very careful to encourage people NOT to do any of the drills presented if they felt uncomfortable in any way, and to choose partners they felt comfortable with (usually but not always same-sex). Not a perfect solution perhaps, but it at least showed that we were aware of possible difficulties and were taking steps to minimize the possibility.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input and your encouragement....what I need to do now is to talk to my instructor and get a lesson plan going so that we can forward it on...

I will keep you folks updated on the progression

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Once you have the legal issues out of the way and a time and place set, I'd go through simple SD techniques, wrist grabs, shirt grabs, how to respond to someone who is choking you and how to defend against someone who manages to get you to the ground. Don't forget women have special SD needs as well so some material should be geared toward that but don't be afraid to ask questions about what the students want to learn either. Your co-workers might have situations you haven't thought of so I'd devote a small part of each class to that.
An off shoot of this could be geared toward children. Many of your co-workers probalby have kids and they might want to have them learn a couple simple techniques to get away from that "stranger in the store,".
As far as price goes, I'm not sure what the laws in your state are about that. Charging might make your classess a business and that would open up other legal issues such as insurance and special licensing. I'd research that one very carefully before I put a price on the classes but if you do, make it reasonable so that you won't drive off the people who wanted your help.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a quick note here. My Instructor does some SD courses up here and a little tid-bit he has picked up on is that the general masses tend to pick up something a bit easier if you DON'T call them "techniques". He uses, "simple movement", "concept", "large movement" whatever best describes the technique without calling them techniques. It seems that most people think "technique" in a Martial Art is something that you need to practice daily for YEARS before you know it enough to use it. (Which while true about know it very well, some can be used with a rudimentary knowledge) Where a "simple movement" is just that, and they figure anybody can start to learn a simple movement in a few classes. Kind of end runs their preconceived ideas. And start whatever "movement, and outcome" at the largest size then break it down into small bite sized bits after they try the whole thing a few times. Then it isn't "I have to do A, then B, then C, then D, then run like heck" It is remembered as a single step that you just happened to have learned and practiced in smaller pieces because some of the "Others" didn't get it the first time through.

Good luck with your classes!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just gave a women's SD class at a library and one at a church. Next week, I am giving one at a women's fitness center & the next week at a rec center. I am happy with the way they are coming out, and apparently people feel comfortable with what I am teaching since they are spreading my name.

What I have done is break the mini-class down into two parts: awareness and common-sense tips, and actual SD techniques.

For the first part, I cover the obvious tips: use the buddy system, stay in well lit parking places, carry a cell phone, carry a weapon such as an umbrella or pepper spray, etc. (after this posting, I will do a posting of the handout that I give at the end of class that has all of the info of the first part of my course on it).

In the second part, I teach 4 hand strikes and 2 kicks. Then, I let the ladies strike and kick the shield and yell "NO" as their kiai (it is empowering, scares the attacker, boosts adreneline, and lets the attacker know that she is not going to agree with what he is doing). The 4 strikes are: open palm hand, hammer fist, closed fist, and claw to the face. The 2 kicks are front and side.

Finally, I cover about 6-7 scenario moves that use the 4 hand strikes and 2 kicks to get the victim out of bad situations.

(next post will be the handout that I give out at the end of the class).

AoG

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
(this is the handout that I give at the end of women's self-defense classes):

Self Defense Tips for Women​

1 - Trust your instincts. Women are very intuitive. If you think a situation might be dangerous then it probably is.
2 - Rape and other sexual assaults are always increasing. Use your fingernails to gouge your attacker's cheek. It marks him for identification and you will have DNA under your nails.
3 - Drive your motor vehicle in a courteous manner. Nobody appreciates rude hand signs. Remember - eventually you have to stop, even if it is to refuel. Psycho cases might follow you for many miles "just to teach you a lesson" - all because you made yourself a target to their twisted minds.
4 - Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, taking mind altering drugs and leaving ANY food or drink unattended where it may be tampered with is a recipe for disaster.
5 - Always carry a cell phone. All cell phones can call 911, even if they are are pre-paid phones that are out of minutes.
6 - Never open your door for someone you are not expecting, even if they claim they are the police. Call your local police department if they are claiming to be cops, or call 911 if you feel threatened.
7 - NEVER walk alone at night or at any time in isolated areas. Predators love these locations. Avoid them.
8 - Never pull over for a car behind you that is flashing a blue light, UNTIL you get to a well-lit, public area. Put on your emergency blinkers for the police behind you and drive slowly until you get to a public area.
9 - If you know there is going to be trouble somewhere, such as a club or party, why are you going there?
10 - Carry improvised weapons such as umbrellas, hair spray, combs/brushes, handful of coins, a rolled up newspaper, or a cane. Normal things sitting around could be the difference between life and death.
11 - Avoid parking by large vans. If there is a van parked next to your car when you return, enter your car from the passenger side.
12 - Never stop to offer any information about yourself or others to anyone asking to take a survey.

Sex Attacks -- Don't be a victim!
While there is no way to guarantee a woman's safety, a combination of solid self defense techniques, awareness of your surroundings, and avoiding unsafe places is a good start.
Remember, if you are a victim of rape or any other kind of attack, it is not your fault. It is however your responsibility to get help. Seek counseling from an appropriate place or contact the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network at 1-800-656-HOPE or visit their website at http://www.rainn.org/

Additional Info and Resources:
Unfortunately, there are convicted sex offenders in virtually every neighborhood in South Carolina. Georgia has tougher laws on where convicted rapists and molesters can live, but you still need to be aware of who is living near you and your family.
For a list of convicted sex offenders (this includes those who sexually attacked both children and adults), go to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Divions site at:
http://services.sled.sc.gov/SOR/
For the Georgia list, go to: http://services.georgia.gov/gbi/gbisor/disclaim.html
For a national list, go to: http://www.familywatchdog.us/ (note: this site is not as current as the official state sites)

Much of this information is listed at the CSRA Defensive Arts website:
www.csraDefensiveArts.com or www.csrakarate.com
Also, the head instructor is available for free self-defense seminars at churches and community centers. Go to the website for more info or to request a seminar.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been working for an Internet service provider for about 6 months now, and I have been approched by many co workers asking me if I taught karate classes, which I responded with a yes...and many of them expressed interest in a basic self Defense class....

I have gone to our HR department, and they were excited that I was wanting to do it, I just had to send an e-mail to them stating what the class would entail, also when where, etc etc...

So you thoughts please

ok, a few sugestions: one, emphisise awarness and getting out before the situation goes sour.
two: at first, for at least 10 hours or so.. very basic techniques like one or 2 basic kicks and say a palm strike and elbows, and maybe a hair take down..and or fingerbrake.
but mainly keep it simple and repeditive so they remember it... and tell them they got just enough to really get in trouble provably as far as knowledge. after that look at basic techniques and like others said teaching a very basic martial arts kinda class.. by the way what style do you study and teach? Oh if your Instructor is going to be there I would defenently get his imput before it all and not be shy to ask for help from him .

Latest Discussions