Re-Certification Tests – Good or Bad?

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BECAUSE if AM 55 nearly - yikes, which is usually hard for a woman to say.
But I LOOK and usually feel 30 something. Before I tested, I did talk to a woman master in a nearby town. She was sympathetic but, if I went into her organization I would not be a black belt. More like a blue which is equal to 2 years. Because my master and their organization have had issues. Also, I would have to train on a cement floor and retest all over again. Pretty much my only option - not do-able. So I have to break the top board-jump spin heel (hook) really quick before the May recert. test.

What I wanted from this forum really is a valid argument against recertification tests. Maybe some sympathy. :) Thanks for the validation of what I've been thinking and feeling.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei, because what you have at the end of your reply box - Martial Arts for Life. Its the only thing I have found that gives me life - exercise and passion. I don't have alot of options at 55 in MA in the location I'm at.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Ceicei, because what you have at the end of your reply box - Martial Arts for Life. Its the only thing I have found that gives me life - exercise and passion. I don't have alot of options at 55 in MA in the location I'm at.
Understood. I wish you luck!

- Ceicei

once youve earned something, its yours, and no one can take it away no matter how many recertification tests they say you have to take. sounds like a money making scam to me

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tigerwoman, I sympathize with you. I'm 43, started trining again last year when my yongest wanted to start training. I use to do TKD, I know how hard it is on us older folks. I never did 'get' the point of those fancy breaks requirements for grading. Doing a double-reverse-jumping-spin kick 6' in the air to snap a board looks real cool, but, IMHO, is of absolutely no consequence in regards to either your mastery of the art or your ability to fight. Re-certs are just plain stupid. A BB is a lot more than physical. I've been taught by people who could no longer do half the fancy stuff they where teaching. They were still great teachers. I feel sorry that you can't train anywhere else. I have a knee problem that makes it diffucult for me to do side and round-house kicks on one side. My sensei takes that into account when training and grading. A good teacher should understand. If he is old, he's an idiot. If he's young, take heart, he'll know how you feel someday.

Cheers.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
CanuckMA said:
Tigerwoman, I sympathize with you. I'm 43, started trining again last year when my yongest wanted to start training. I use to do TKD, I know how hard it is on us older folks. I never did 'get' the point of those fancy breaks requirements for grading. Doing a double-reverse-jumping-spin kick 6' in the air to snap a board looks real cool, but, IMHO, is of absolutely no consequence in regards to either your mastery of the art or your ability to fight. Re-certs are just plain stupid. A BB is a lot more than physical. I've been taught by people who could no longer do half the fancy stuff they where teaching. They were still great teachers. I feel sorry that you can't train anywhere else. I have a knee problem that makes it diffucult for me to do side and round-house kicks on one side. My sensei takes that into account when training and grading. A good teacher should understand. If he is old, he's an idiot. If he's young, take heart, he'll know how you feel someday.

Cheers.

I don't mean to trash TKD, but I really am frustrated by how rigid it is set up in civilian practice. The physical demand and level of athleticism expected from it's practitioners was originally geared to teaching military troops (ie young, fit males of good bones and generally healthy diets). Though the warrior spirit of that origin should be maintained, it is just damn dangerous to expect people who don't come from that demographic (ie first timers, returning to training as older, less fit when they start....) to be able to perform with the same level of athletic outcomes. In short, some styles, like TKD are really more appealing to the 'younger man's/woman's' game.

I would say that, as long as the goal is to learn and be effective in self defense, then screw the rank and time investment of the belt because no one can take away the knowledge you have gained in achieving that rank, find a school/group that you are comfortable with and trains in a way that is smart and safe as well as challenging and inspiring but right for you.

Being a newbie again can be as important a challenge as any other.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone brought this subject to me previously, and I have mixed opinions on it. I like the idea of knowing that when you have a BB it is a solid permenant sign of confidence from the instructor that you have the ability to teach independantly. I also like the notion that BBs should be both capable and knowledgable to uphold the integrety of the BB as a symbol. Knowledge, just like physical ability is something that must be maintained, and if it isn't, it can fade, warp or just vanish. We have had issues at one of my schools where a BB doesn't know required material or doesn't teach the correct method. Some even try to cover by throwing in something from a separate system. While this might not be all that bad a thing, many of the students come to train one thing and are only taught something completly different. If I'm coming to train BJJ, I don't want to be doing Okinawan katas instead. BB testing also assures consistancy in instruction so that people aren't learning techniques that are changed or taught in someone's personal style. I think I like the idea someone mentioned about not stripping BBs, but only giving teaching cert. to those that prove capability and consistancy at occational testing. One system I train has an annual camp to test the physical capabilities of the BBs and while you don't loose your BB if you don't make the requirements, you do get increasing pressure from the GM to shape it up.

And all this from a guy who doesn't believe in rank much.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I have my own program up and running again, I have been toying with the idea of running quarterly 'testing' for every one. The intention wouldn't be to 'shake the tree' and weed people out. The intention would be to establish a regular, reasonably spaced interval of assessments so that the student and instructors have a chance to evaluate the changes in performance AND the effectiveness of the training/instruction approach.

Sometimes you get inspired and throw in a new drill or 'personalize' someones instruction but don't really know if it is getting the desired results when it counts.

Much like 10 week grades in school it would strikely be for evaluation first. If, though, someone really improved and deserves a promotion or has demonstrated mastery of current material they would be awarded that as fitting their rank and demonstrative skill.

How would it work? I took Suzuki violin instruction when I was younger and they basically lined the whole class up and everyone performed together starting with the basic stuff and progressing through the musical pieces to the more challenging stuff. When you reached a point in the performance where you didn't know the material or couldn't do it that day for what ever reason, you just sat down. NO judgement, no pressure, you just sat. If there was something later on - out of sequence, but you felt you could do it - you stood back up and performed. I liked that.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind doing recert. if he had a better attitude toward me, did not pass me over to teach. Also if it was not mandatory to prove you "earn and keep the belt." I have always worked hard to get better. But, I would not know whether he was showing me "details" to help or making undue criticism to destroy. He doesn't want to teach me yet at the same time he wants to put "grades" on the forms etc. How many 5's will I see? Also, I won't win at a black belt breaking contest. At whose expense is that!

I have lost alot of respect for him and that wasn't easy for me. It was like having a father who makes a big promise and doesn't keep it-like losing a father really. I was his number one supporter -ads, demos, teacher, the list is long, I was there without him asking. But the trust isn't there now because he can't acknowledge the harm he has done me, my family and the school. Preaches humility but can't say I'm sorry. I can forgive , but I can't trust him to not hurt me again. So do I trust him to grade me fairly? I don't even trust him if he tells me to do 600 high kicks because my hamstrings are laid up for a month after.

A tip: When you guys have schools, don't ever be too big to not be able to say I'm sorry. I believe humility is more attractive in a male instructor than boastful bravado. It heals. Trust is a big component in a student/teacher relationship. I guess that is what this recert test is about.

R

RCastillo

TigerWoman said:
Last year, our master instituted recertification tests for all black belts. We are required to test every 6 months. Mostly this is for the black belts who do not try to work on stuff, do not attend many classes, etc. This test for us includes forms- poomse (Taekwondo), pushups, punches, kicks, slow motion kicks, self defense, sparring, a breaking contest to "wow" the master, even grading on integrity etc. What is your experience with this and is it working?

Seems like an idea for more money, after all, public school teachers do not necessarilly reatke tests to prove they're up to par, they just get evaluated. If BB are not up to par, evaluation should be the best tool, and not give them a chance to attain higer rank. :asian:

Latest Discussions