Chayon Ryu... anyone heard of it ?

wck dallas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could comment on this MA. I understang that it started in Houston TX in the 60's... you can check out the main schools site here http://www.kimsookarate.com/ .

But basically it is a mix between Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Chuan Fa, Judo/Jujitsu, and Hapkido/Aikido. Rather than learning "thousands of forms and techniques" you learn a good foundation of the principles of each of these styles, tought as one style.

I was just wondering if "Chayon Ryu" has gained a reputation in the MA community abroad, and if anyone has a personal knowledge of it here.

Thanks...

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could comment on this MA. I understang that it started in Houston TX in the 60's... you can check out the main schools site here http://www.kimsookarate.com/ .

But basically it is a mix between Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Chuan Fa, Judo/Jujitsu, and Hapkido/Aikido. Rather than learning "thousands of forms and techniques" you learn a good foundation of the principles of each of these styles, tought as one style.

I was just wondering if "Chayon Ryu" has gained a reputation in the MA community abroad, and if anyone has a personal knowledge of it here.

Thanks...

Hello,

I'd like to put my input on Chayon-Ryu, since I've been around the system since the 1970's. I've noticed that the older generation know Grandmaster Kim Soo well, but the younger generation (in MA less than 25-30 years), don't know him as much.

The founder, Grandmaster Kim Soo, was one of the students that began training at the re-opening of the original kwans in 1952. His first dojang was Changmoo-Kwan under Lee Nam-sok, who taught a combined Chuan-fa and Shudokan (of Toyama Kanken) curriculum. In 1956 he transferred to the Kangduk-Won, which taught the same curriculum as Changmoo-Kwan (both kwan leaders studied together under Yoon Byung-in).

During highschool and college Grandmaster Kim additionally trained under Han Jin-hee in Yudo. Master Han was the highest ranked Korean from the Kodokan at that time. I don't know what rank Grandmaster Kim achieved in yudo.

In 1958, Grandmaster Kim was introduced to Master Han Jae-ji and began studies in Sungmoo-Kwan Hapkido. He eventually received a 6th Dan.

Grandmaster Kim was supposed to immigrate to the US in 1964 and participate as a demonstator in Ed Parker's Long Beach Tournament (the one where Bruce Lee was "discovered"), but couldn't get a visa from S. Korea. http://www.kimsookarate.com/gallery-old-days/1964Tournament/index.html He eventually immigrated in January 1968 and settled in Houston, Tx., though he was invited all over the US to set up a dojang. http://www.kimsookarate.com/gallery-first30/firstclinic.html He still traveled all over to demo. The old-days instructors know him: Henry Cho, Yemoh Ahn, Kang Rhee, Jhoon Rhee, etc. http://www.kimsookarate.com/gallery-first30/uskc68.html

When Grandmaster Kim first came to the US, he taught seperate classes: one class was karate class, another was Hapkido, another was Chuan-fa, etc. But, because people were curious about the other arts he was teaching (instead of their specific class), he decided to combine all curriculums into 1 comprehensive curriculum. He had been developing a method of teaching using natural body motions and applied it to teach this new curriculum. He called the system, "Chayon-Ryu" which means, "Natural Way." It is not a new style, but a new way to teach martial art regardless of style. He did this with permission of his senior instructors.

The teaching method has not been stagnant but has been refined over the past 39 years at his (now) 2 personal dojangs in Houston and at UH since 1973 (~150 students per class) and Rice University since 1981. http://www.kimsookarate.com/UHClass1995.htm

There are 20+ Chayon-Ryu dojangs in Texas and one each in Arizona, California, North Carolina, Florida, Kansas, Arkansas, Seoul, Omsk Siberia, and Japan. The system is taught at University of Houston, Rice University, College of the Mainland, North Harris College, Houston Community College, Lee College (Baytown), Catawba College (N. Carolina).

This is just a little info about Grandmaster Kim. For more of his milestones go here: http://www.kimsookarate.com/awards/awards.html

Please PM if you want any more information.

R. McLain

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Never of heard of it...after reading there Web site? ....looks like worth signing up.

They do have over twenty branches/schools so this means they have been around for sometime, and you have to be doing something good if it is growing in size and numbers.

Today there is some many martial artist breaking off and starting you schools with NEW NAMES never heard before...but the training is still excellant!

This Chayon Ryu has been around for some time therefore....proven!

ciscodog

White Belt
Reaction score
Well is sounds like is based on some solid fighting arts. I am also a student of an Okinawan form of Karate called Shorin Ryu. Shorin is the japanese way of saying Shaolin. My dojo were I am a student is www.ewcdojo.com under Sensei Dan Schroeder and my O-Sensei is www.yamashitakarate.com/ Yamashita Sensei. Yamashita Sensei some of the greats in Okinawan Karate. Its a great dojo, and jewel to find in Wisconsin.

bellmd

White Belt
Reaction score
Was wondering if you have any feedback on Chayon-Ryu yet? I am looking at a MA school close to home to get back into training and it is a Kim Soo school.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My knowledge of GM Kim is limted to his books on the Pal Gwe forms. They are fantastic! Master McLain is our resident expert. I trust & defer to his judgement on Chayon Ryu.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well is sounds like is based on some solid fighting arts. I am also a student of an Okinawan form of Karate called Shorin Ryu. Shorin is the japanese way of saying Shaolin. My dojo were I am a student is www.ewcdojo.com under Sensei Dan Schroeder and my O-Sensei is www.yamashitakarate.com/ Yamashita Sensei. Yamashita Sensei some of the greats in Okinawan Karate. Its a great dojo, and jewel to find in Wisconsin.

so you study Kobayashi Shorin Ryu then?

as to the question on the style the thread is about.. no clue.. do not know a thing about it, but I am a bit suspicious of any style that is less then 50 years old... does not mean it might not be good, I just would want to know a lot more about it.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
so you study Kobayashi Shorin Ryu then?

as to the question on the style the thread is about.. no clue.. do not know a thing about it, but I am a bit suspicious of any style that is less then 50 years old... does not mean it might not be good, I just would want to know a lot more about it.

Chayon-Ryu is not a "style" of martial arts, it is a teaching method using "natural body motions" to instruct the parent arts that make up the curriculum. Nothing "new" has been invented besides the approach to instructing the classic arts.

R. McLain

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chayon-Ryu is not a "style" of martial arts, it is a teaching method using "natural body motions" to instruct the parent arts that make up the curriculum. Nothing "new" has been invented besides the approach to instructing the classic arts.

R. McLain

GM Kim Soo has the goods. He's got a great reputation among my circle of TSD practitioners in the mid-atlantic. I hope one day to visit him.

Latest Discussions