Bags of Water Hung to Keep Flies Away

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got this in an email. Checked snopes, but no results. Did a web search and found plenty that supports it works. With summer approaching I thought it would be good to share. If anyone tries it let us know. :)

We went with friends to Sweety Pies on Sunday for breakfast and sat in the patio section beside the house. We happened to notice zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious! Ms. Sweety told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of this, but HowStuffWorks has a page on it. They don't have a conclusive answer, though.

Snopes has a page too, but they've also classified it as "Undetermined".

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Y'know I just saw this on another forum concerning mosquitos & it working on them as well.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's used at a lot of restaurants with outdoor seating here. Whether it helps with flies or not, it's useless against grackles. <shudder>

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two of the biggest summer time annoyances maybe done away with with just water.
icon7.gif
I'm in, Flies and as clfsean says, maybe mosquitos too.
Stop them alive in their tracks.
icon7.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: You say that as if it should mean something to me, Xue :D.

I'm guessing a kids story 'monster'?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poor bird - fancy getting lumbered with a name like Grackle :lol:.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Poor bird - fancy getting lumbered with a name like Grackle :lol:.

Grackle is right. They're loud and aggressive. They tend to gather near restaurants where they can scavenge for food. I've seen them steal bread right from tables where people are sitting and eating. They are big, too. About a foot tall.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, grackles are nasty little bastards. Filthy, aggressive, loud, thieving....the best thing you can say about them is that they've chased off most of the pigeons in Austin. And nothing gets rid of them. My neighbor has one of those fake owls that are used to keep birds away from an area. One day I looked over to see a grackle sitting on the owl's head, pecking its eyeball out. A friend of mine saw a flock of them kill a hawk. Ick.

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wonder why it works... I think it must have lots to do with the pennies. Perhaps it polluted the water and the flys/mossies are deterred by this... But then again, they land on crap so I doubt pollution would bother them

Very interesting though, will have to test it out.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder why it works... I think it must have lots to do with the pennies. Perhaps it polluted the water and the flys/mossies are deterred by this... But then again, they land on crap so I doubt pollution would bother them

Very interesting though, will have to test it out.
I'll have to check it owt too... just can't figure it though... obviously the pennies have something to do with it but the bags are sealed so something about the baggies having that combination of water and copper/zinc to them is what deterring flies.

I'd rather have Grackles than those damned Starlings. They're not native to the U.S. and have literally multiplied by the millions. Grackles are prettier in spite of their nasty habits. But then Magpies are considered pest birds as well.
:idunno:

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with the pennies; I've seen lots of this done, and no pennies are used here. I vaguely recall reading a theory about this that said it had something to do with the reflection of the water....very vaguely.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read it has to do with the flies eyesight so it doesn't work on other bugs because they don't see the same way flies do. The water and pennies cause some sort of reflection that scares the flies away. Much like the way they flee as soon as you raise something to swat them.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this years ago at a restaurant in Mexico.

No pennies, just water in plastic baggies hung about 10 feet apart. They had no idea why it worked, but they swore it kept the flies away.

Latest Discussions