Cell Phone Rant

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I want is a basic cell phone,something small that I can stuff in my pocket....I dont need a camera or a keyboard ( I dont text)..I dont need a plan that offers a bizillion minutes a month, I dont talk to ANYONE that much..When I went to the AT&T store and showed them my current phone I got the " WOW, that's an old phone", I felt like I was showing them my families first rotory phone..I just wanted to share this rant..

Last edited:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Finding a phone that's just a phone is a royal PITA. Verizon had one available, but you really have to dig for it.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've opted to not have a cell. Added years to my life and gave me great hair!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I want is a basic cell phone,something small that I can stuff in my pocket....I dont need a camera or a keyboard ( I dont text)..I dont need plan that offers a bizillion minutes a month, I dont talk to ANYONE that much..When I went to the AT&T store and showed them my current phone I got the " WOW, that's an old phone", I felt like I was showing them my families first rotory phone..I just wanted to share this rant..

I'm with you. I don't want a ringtone other than 'ring' and I don't need a color screen, or MP3 playing, or video playing, or photo-taking, or text-twitter-facebooking. No all-singing, all-dancing uber-expensive chunk of two-years-and-done garbage please. Just a phone. A simple freaking phone. Is that so much to ask for?

OK, Bluetooth is nice, but OTHER THAN THAT...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you looked into getting a Tracfone? We bought one for our son last year when he went to space camp. Just a real basic cell phone and you buy prepaid minutes for it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only person on the planet that thinks this way :D.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I...hate...CELL PHONES... but then I don't like regular phones much either

But job a family force me to carry one.

Got a new one a while back and it is loaded with all sorts of giz-wizzies I will never use... so I am going to go back to using my old one.

I'm with you Drac...just give me a basic damn phone.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've got an old sony phone with just the basics, my kids, and my friends laugh at me when they see it, but i"m the same way as you guys, I just want a plain phone. Oh and for a ring tone, I use the traditional ring tone, sound like the ring tone from our old rotary phones from the 70's.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
All I want is a basic cell phone,something small that I can stuff in my pocket....I dont need a camera or a keyboard ( I dont text)..I dont need plan that offers a bizillion minutes a month, I dont talk to ANYONE that much..When I went to the AT&T store and showed them my current phone I got the " WOW, that's an old phone", I felt like I was showing them my families first rotory phone..I just wanted to share this rant..

Buy a tracfone, the cheapest model is exactly what you want, it costs $10, and then pay $10/month to stay connected for a year.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
tracfone is the way to go and at that price you won't lose sleep if you lose the dang thing...

atm I have 5 floating around the house, all had been lost at some point in time, 2 more are AWOL...

I hate cell phones. 95% of all people don't need them, texting is beyond stupid, why not talk on the phone or email...just another step to lose contact to your fellow human being.

I do like to have one around for emergencies though. Beats walking along the side of the road in the dead of night!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Drac,

Go to the larger service centers. Explain to them that you do work for a corporation that does not allow cameras. They may still have some Corporate options out there. But even places liek where I work have given into the newer phones with cameras and requireing a sticker over the lense.

I know how you feel as I am the same way.

Peace

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go to the larger service centers. Explain to them that you do work for a corporation that does not allow cameras.

I actually sit near the lady whose job it is to provide the phones for all employees at a large corporation; a big part of her day was to punch the lens out of the new cell phones with an ice pick.

Not joking.

The only cell phone I have is the one my company provides for me, and I only have that because I am on call 24/7 to provide sustain services.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Mine is set to vibrate only, I don't need a ring tone at ALL.

But---aside forom emergency uses, a cellphone is just like pepper spray--you wanna carry a sidearm, you HAVE to carry both of those. It's not the law, but it's such good common sense it may as well be.

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
p_2543545.jpg

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You`d never last here in Japan. My daughters get new cells at least twice a year because they`re so much more than a phone here. They`re a subway/rail pass. They`re faster checkout at the convenience store (just wave your cell over the reader and it`s paid....never worry about being short-changed again.) They`re a pocketful of quarters for vending machines (the ones with readers on them). My neighbor is in construction, and he never carries blueprints to meetings anymore. Why should he? He can scan blueprints for a half dozen projects into his phone and pull them up for himself or download them into an on site PC. And at least here, texting is much much cheaper than talking.

I grew up with a black rotary phone with a 3 foot cord. I liked it. I use a six yr old cell with a cracked hinge and a burned out light. I carry a cell because my job requires it. But the days of just a phone are gone. We`re in the age of "Oh, and it has a phone too."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not only just a phone but a phone that actually works well and you can hear the people you are talking to. ;)
What's next? Wanting to actually be able to use your cell phone INSIDE, of all the crazy ideas?! Yep, I can't use my work phone in my house. It's not that the wife, dog, or kid will overhear stuff... It's that the person I'm talking to WON'T hear me! Unless I stand in just the right place, leaning at 23.45 degrees in the proper direction. And don't breath because that'll shift me out of the magic spot.

I only wish I was joking or exaggerating.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drac,

Go to the larger service centers. Explain to them that you do work for a corporation that does not allow cameras. They may still have some Corporate options out there. But even places liek where I work have given into the newer phones with cameras and requireing a sticker over the lense.

I know how you feel as I am the same way.

Peace
Blackberry actually makes a special model for the FBI and other feds who can't carry picture phones into their workspaces.

It only costs 'em something like 1/3 over the basic cost...

Latest Discussions