Georgia Girls' Lemonade Stand Reopened at Local Water Park After Police Shut Them Down

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/2...water-park-after-police-shut/?test=latestnews
Last week, three young entrepreneurs from Georgia -- Kasity Dixon, 14, Tiffany Cassin, 12, and Skylar Roberts, 10 -- took to their front yard to sell the summer classic, in hopes of earning enough cash for a much-needed cooldown at a local water park, Summer Waves Water Park in Jekyll Island, Ga.

But the so-called Midway Georgia Lemonade Girls' plans were quickly shut down by police, who said the girls did not have the proper permits to run the concession stand.

"I was standing by my kitchen window when I saw a police officer approach my daughters and niece," Amy Roberts, Kasity's and Skylar's mother, told Foxnews.com. “The officer must have yelled, because I could hear him all the way from my kitchen, screaming, 'Girls! This is your last warning, and I’m not going to tell you again, you cannot have that lemonade stand.'"

Kasity Dixon, 14, Tiffany Cassin, 12, and Skylar Roberts, 10

Sharpe invited the girls to spend the day, free of charge, at the water park, where they will be provided with their very own lemonade stand built by the Summer Waves maintenance staff.

"They have been invited as honorary lifeguards, and for two hours they will sell their lemonade," Sharpe said. "Their mission in the first place was to enjoy the park, and we hope that's what they'll do.

So a local business owner heard about these kids being bullied by the town, and invites them in to enjoy the park and spend a few days running a stand that the park will provide. They get to keep the money they make.

Of course, the town insists they were right in shutting down these kids. But they go a bit farther too.

The Midway Police Department wouldn't comment on the Midway Lemonade Girls' case, nor would the municipal court clerk.
"There is an investigation going on for some criminal activity and we are not allowed to comment," court clerk Donna Davis told Foxnews.com.

Remember folks, Midway Georgia. So Safe, the local police have plenty of time to threaten little kids.
I bet they even ticket jaywalkers, when they aren't eating pie at Aunt Bee's. Oh wait. Wouldn't they arrest Aunt Bee for not having a health permit, a peddler permit and failure to include whipped cream?

But, it's important that these criminal types be caught early right? So what have the girls learned?

"I thought I was doing the right thing, teaching them good work ethics and I would never have set up the stand had I known it was illegal." Now, she says, her daughters are fearful of the police and even think just going outside is going to get them in trouble with the law.

Yup. Way to go Midway PD. Protect, Serve and Instill Fear in children.

As to the park owner:
"We are a family water park and wish the girls the best of luck on Sunday," Sharpe told Foxnews.com. "I will certainly not be selling lemonade that day. This is going to be all for them."

At least someone in Midway isn't a git.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
those kids will end up in juvi over this.....

nice of the park proprietor to invite them.

(it has to be criminal for kids trying to work their way up, instead of just demanding handouts!)

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is nothing that these girls are doing that some mace, and stun guns wouldn't cure. They obviously still do not respect the authority of the state and are long over due for a stay in a state sponsored camp for the dangerously capitalistic. We need to stomp that entrepenuerial spirit out of them before they infect other children. Those officers need to be disciplined as well. No where in the article does it say that the family was taken into custody and questioned about their subversive activities. If those officers aren't committed to preserving the sactity of the state, maybe they need some "education" themselves.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/2...water-park-after-police-shut/?test=latestnews

Kasity Dixon, 14, Tiffany Cassin, 12, and Skylar Roberts, 10

So a local business owner heard about these kids being bullied by the town, and invites them in to enjoy the park and spend a few days running a stand that the park will provide. They get to keep the money they make.

Of course, the town insists they were right in shutting down these kids. But they go a bit farther too.

Remember folks, Midway Georgia. So Safe, the local police have plenty of time to threaten little kids.
I bet they even ticket jaywalkers, when they aren't eating pie at Aunt Bee's. Oh wait. Wouldn't they arrest Aunt Bee for not having a health permit, a peddler permit and failure to include whipped cream?

But, it's important that these criminal types be caught early right? So what have the girls learned?

Yup. Way to go Midway PD. Protect, Serve and Instill Fear in children.

As to the park owner:

At least someone in Midway isn't a git.

I say good for the water park! I'm glad that a local business stepped up and helped them out. :) I'm still curious though...as I said in that other thread on this topic, why, if they were on private property, their own property at that, would they need a permit? Guess it depends on the state, but still, its not like these girls were committing the crime of the century. They were selling lemonade not crack.

Latest Discussions