Are women disadvantaged in striking arts/styles?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with magic. It's simply that grappling grants you more tools to utilize than striking does. Bjj is hardly alone in that benefit.
Not more. Different tools. Different is not the same as more. You can use leverage, positioning, and so on whether striking or wrestling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did view some of his other matches, and some of the purple belt skills showcased were questionable. Especially when he went up against that really large purple belt who just tried to lay on him and not do anything. However, that was probably because he was used to subbing people by moving his weight around.

No offense to Ronda, but I don't think she could do well against a man with equal level striking.

However, I have no doubt that she could outgrapple a lot of men out there. I've seen many occasions when she's taken down, and arm barred male professional MMA fighters at will. Some of them were quite a bit larger than she was. Uriah Hall immediately comes to mind. He outweighs her by about 50 lbs.

Well if I doubled somonone body weight I would lay on them as well. I mean use your advantage there.

I have seen Ronda dominated in grappling by guys as well. But she picks top guys to spar with.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xjs2fWJEs

Grappling must be unfair for girls?

We could make the same argument that bjj is more suited to Brazilians because they dominate in it. So it is unfair for Americans to train in bjj because they don't have the right physicality.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not more. Different tools. Different is not the same as more. You can use leverage, positioning, and so on whether striking or wrestling.

Fair point. :)

Well if I doubled somonone body weight I would lay on them as well. I mean use your advantage there.

I have seen Ronda dominated in grappling by guys as well. But she picks top guys to spar with.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xjs2fWJEs

Grappling must be unfair for girls?

I wouldn't call that dominated. I've seen plenty of women getting tossed to the ground, only to end up subbing the guy. C'mon Drop Bear, you know better than that. ;)

We could make the same argument that bjj is more suited to Brazilians because they dominate in it. So it is unfair for Americans to train in bjj because they don't have the right physicality.

That has little to do with physicality. It has everything to do with Brazilians learning Bjj earlier on average than their American counterparts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually found this vidthan some
of the kata discussion in the karate forum. I had posted it there as well.[/QUOTE

Videos still aren't evidence of anything other than some peoples need to post pictures and videos online. It's a type of vanity, to regard such videos as being proof of something other than that would be unwise.

As compared to people saying I am right with no evidence and if you disagree you don't understand.

The issue with YouTube is you set yourself up for a person to pick flaws in it which I would class as less vain. I am picking flaws and not once has hanzou replied with the butt hurt.

Takes it looks at it and argues my flaws.

Like a normal discussion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair point. :)

I wouldn't call that dominated. I've seen plenty of women getting tossed to the ground, only to end up subbing the guy. C'mon Drop Bear, you know better than that. ;)

That has little to do with physicality. It has everything to do with Brazilians learning Bjj earlier on average than their American counterparts.

Did she sub the guy?

What she could have done if only she could eyegouge? Who are you sounding like?

So with a greater pool of people learning martial art at an earlier age you get a better martial artist.

Do more women tend to learn martial arts than men?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did she sub the guy?

They were resetting after the takedown. They never got far enough to do ground fighting.

It would have been interesting to see them do some ground work, since Ronda is so good at it.

What she could have done if only she could eyegouge? Who are you sounding like?

LoL! No, I'm not going that far. I'm merely pointing out that you can't really say he was dominating her when they were only doing one half of the grappling equation. Again, I've seen plenty of occasions when someone gets taken down in a dominant fashion, only to end up winning via submission from the ground.

So with a greater pool of people learning martial art at an earlier age you get a better martial artist.

Do more women tend to learn martial arts than men?

I think part of the problem with Bjj in the states is the price. Most people can't afford to do it until they're adults. From what I hear, its WAY cheaper in Brazil due to the strong competition it has against Judo and other arts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They were resetting after the takedown. They never got far enough to do ground fighting.

It would have been interesting to see them do some ground work, since Ronda is so good at it.

LoL! No, I'm not going that far. I'm merely pointing out that you can't really say he was dominating her when they were only doing one half of the grappling equation. Again, I've seen plenty of occasions when someone gets taken down in a dominant fashion, only to end up winning via submission from the ground.

I think part of the problem with Bjj in the states is the price. Most people can't afford to do it until they're adults. From what I hear, its WAY cheaper in Brazil due to the strong competition it has against Judo and other arts.

OK my rule one as a mmaer is there are no imaginary victories if only I could have used my whole skill set. You get owned you get owned fair and square. For a girl who is best in the world at judo. Resetting after the takedown doesn't count.

So I can say it.

Less people in america do bjj so they are not as good. Less girls do ma so they are not as good.

It is a factor we haven't considered regarding this black belt test. The guy is a product of sorting through a hundred guys until he rises to the top and gets his black.

The girl is a product of sorting through ten.

So it is more likely you will find the top fighter in a gym be a guy.

Same reason it is allways sunnier when you are working than on weekends. You are comparing five days to two.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I agree with this I was paying 30 a month for judo. Other guys at work are paying 200+ a month for BJJ. It's insane

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK my rule one as a mmaer is there are no imaginary victories if only I could have used my whole skill set. You get owned you get owned fair and square. For a girl who is best in the world at judo. Resetting after the takedown doesn't count.

So I can say it.

Less people in america do bjj so they are not as good. Less girls do ma so they are not as good.

It is a factor we haven't considered regarding this black belt test. The guy is a product of sorting through a hundred guys until he rises to the top and gets his black.

The girl is a product of sorting through ten.

So it is more likely you will find the top fighter in a gym be a guy.

Same reason it is allways sunnier when you are working than on weekends. You are comparing five days to two.

To be fair she's not the best in the world at Judo, the girl who got the gold medal at the Olympics by beating her would be the best. :eek:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I over simplified...interesting..... I was using basics to make it easier...do you have a physics degree?

My university education is BSc in Chemistry and Physics (double major) + Bachelor of Extractive Metallurgy (4 year degree with a thesis) + currently doing a PhD in Mineral science (Extractive Metallurgy).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My university education is BSc in Chemistry and Physics (double major) + Bachelor of Extractive Metallurgy (4 year degree with a thesis) + currently doing a PhD in Mineral science (Extractive Metallurgy).

You two may need to continue this conversation by message as it's definitely getting too academic LOL!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After her last UFC fight Rosi Sexton got a lot of attention from trolls, nasty buggers. A few were saying she hadn't really even been to university let alone got degrees and a doctorate so she posted up her thesis etc and told them to knock themselves out. I didn't even understand the titles!

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hsimmons/ROSI-SEXTON/rosi-sexton.html all that and she fights like a boss!

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually liked the women's sparring. Having said that, there are a couple of things I would love to work on with them.

I had the same height, weight and strength disadvantage with one of my instructors.
My other instructor was a Golden Gloves boxer and then an All Marines boxer before starting in martial arts. I had to learn some things to be able to deal with them without getting bounced off the walls all the time.

1. I would also encourage them to keep the hands up.
2. Move. Work the angles more. Standing in front of someone that big is a losing proposition.
3. Learn to kick at a range where other people would only punch. That knee has to chamber higher to have an effective side kick close in.

Could they learn to be effective against a guy that big and talented? Probably not, but they are way along the road to being very good martial artists.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10407359_10152868376702329_4908686025407807272_n.jpg

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Therefore, if you are a woman wanting the ability to handle herself against a male attacker you need to not let all other factors be equal. You need some combination of superior technique, superior conditioning, superior fighting spirit, superior tactics, and/or superior weaponry.

I'm a pretty decent martial artist, but I would not want to get into a fight with either Ronda Rousey or Lucia Rijker, even though I'm much bigger than either one.

*(Fighting in this context includes both striking and grappling, but perhaps not so much the use of knives and firearms. Those tools can do a lot to equalize for discrepancies in size and strength.)

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight somebody f$#ked up.

tonyjw86

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes women are disadvantage because of muscle mass and strength but also because of the way most (not all) are babied in class. Men hold back because they don't actually wan't to hurt a women. Women also don't want to hurt each other. This holds them back from training their full potential. It sounds bad but making a women mad by striking her really helps her come out of her shell and use some force.