Are competitive Sport Martial Artists superior?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a ton of excellent bjj in that area.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how Bjj has grown in most urban centers. When I first started, most cities had 1-2 Bjj gyms tops. Now you have cities loaded with good-great Bjj instruction. I've been out of the loop for some time, but I wonder how the local competition scene is in cities like that with a ton of good schools.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice, yeah they do have a free week trial and looking at the reviews, it appears that the gym and the instructors are excellent. But, yes most definitely I will visit several of the gyms in the area, before making my decision.

Thank you for the information and when I choose a place, I will keep you updated on my experience.

Cool.

There's an old martial arts adage about "emptying your cup".... I really think that saying applies big time to Bjj. Don't go in thinking you're hot ****, because you're going to suck hard for a very long time. When you think you're getting better, something (or someone) is going to come along to make you realize you suck again. You're going to get subbed by big people, small people, women, kids, old people, etc. Unless you're in competition, tap quickly and tap often. Don't take it personally, don't take it as a defeat, take it as a learning experience and get better. If there's an opportunity to roll (spar), take it, because everything you're learning doesn't mean anything if you're not learning how to apply it.

Also since you're a husky dude, don't be a mat bully. It will not work out for you, trust me.

In the end, just roll with it (pun intended), have a good time, and ask a lot of questions. Don't let your personal ego get in the way of enjoying a wonderful martial art.

Good luck.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Being competitive doesnt mean your superior than just an ordinary person who doesnt compete its just you go there to get trophy thats it and represent your class no matter how you compete there will be a better person than u who doesn't compete

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being competitive doesnt mean your superior than just an ordinary person who doesnt compete its just you go there to get trophy thats it and represent your class no matter how you compete there will be a better person than u who doesn't compete

How would you know?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not an argument if you at a person are superior, or a better person than someone else. It's whether or not competitive arts are more effective at teaching self-defense/to fight/whatever goal than non-competitive arts.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

In BJJ, if we look at the top echelon of competitors, that really isn't the case. There's some damn good instructors out there who have never competed, but they'd get gift-wrapped by the top Bjj competitors in the world. Also those top Bjj competitors slide right into MMA (Tonnen, Hall, Dern, Gracie, etc.) and do fairly well.

It's really no different than what you see in other Martial Sports like Boxing, Muay Thai, Sanshou, MMA, Wrestling, etc. You have the hobby tier, the amateur tier, and the professional tier. The idea that the hobby or amateur tier is on equal footing with the pro tier is laughable, and is frankly part of the TMA delusion I discussed earlier.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive been in three physical altercations in the last 25 years. Two of those were life threatening, and I used Bjj to get out of both of those situations. Overall, I tend to avoid getting into dangerous encounters, since there’s no logical reason to purposely look for violence. Also due to my size, I’m typically able to avoid altercations because of that alone. Predators don’t tend to not go after bald men 6’ and over with a large frame.
hmm, im not sure thats really a testiment for bjj

thats much the same for me over the last 20 years or, so,im very bald and quite big, the number of people who want to push it, beyond shouting at a distance are few

but ive had to fight my way out of a few life threatning situations as well and i didnt use bjj,

so what does that prove i wonder?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Cool.

There's an old martial arts adage about "emptying your cup".... I really think that saying applies big time to Bjj. Don't go in thinking you're hot ****, because you're going to suck hard for a very long time. When you think you're getting better, something (or someone) is going to come along to make you realize you suck again. You're going to get subbed by big people, small people, women, kids, old people, etc. Unless you're in competition, tap quickly and tap often. Don't take it personally, don't take it as a defeat, take it as a learning experience and get better. If there's an opportunity to roll (spar), take it, because everything you're learning doesn't mean anything if you're not learning how to apply it.

Also since you're a husky dude, don't be a mat bully. It will not work out for you, trust me.

In the end, just roll with it (pun intended), have a good time, and ask a lot of questions. Don't let your personal ego get in the way of enjoying a wonderful martial art.

Good luck.
I agree with you, I tend too, when checking out a new system ,wipe my mind clean and assume a complete newbie mentality.

Although, the instructor figures out pretty quick that I have trained before. This is where it gets interesting as most instructors welcome that, some don't. If they don't welcome previous experience, I simply finish the class and move on.

I will definitely take your advice to heart.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
but ive had to fight my way out of a few life threatning situations as well and i didnt use bjj
Since I asked the original question.

If what you have trained in, helps you survive one life or death scenario, I will be convinced that you know what you are talking about.

This is where the arts and there use is important to me. Although I respect the time that competitive martial artist put in, if they have never actualized it in real combat their opinion isn't of much use, to me personally.

Now, the system itself is not important, but whether or not the individual has used it in these types of situation, to me personally is of importance.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since I asked the original question.

If what you have trained in, helps you survive one life or death scenario, I will be convinced that you know what you are talking about.

This is where the arts and there use is important to me. Although I respect the time that competitive martial artist put in, if they have never actualized it in real combat their opinion isn't of much use, to me personally.

Now, the system itself is not important, but whether or not the individual has used it in these types of situation, to me personally is of importance.
well yes but your logic is failing slightly

most peopke dont do ma, a fair few of them have had to protect themselves or their family and hhave done so successfully , due to any number of factors that may or may not apply to you

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm, im not sure thats really a testiment for bjj

thats much the same for me over the last 20 years or, so,im very bald and quite big, the number of people who want to push it, beyond shouting at a distance are few

but ive had to fight my way out of a few life threatning situations as well and i didnt use bjj,

so what does that prove i wonder?

Considering that you have no idea what occurred in either encounter, saying that Bjj training had nothing to do with my success in escaping those encounters with my life intact is a rather ignorant statement to make.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering that you have no idea what occurred in either encounter, saying that Bjj training had nothing to do with my success in escaping those encounters with my life intact is a rather ignorant statement to make.
but i didnt say that did i, ?

i mearly added my own unsupprted anecdote, of not using bjj, in dangerous situations and coming out unscaved.

both would seem to have equal value of proving precisely nothing

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but i didnt say that did i, ?

i mearly added my own unsupprted anecdote, of not using bjj, in dangerous situations and coming out unscaved.

both would seem to have equal value of proving precisely nothing

You said that MY situation wasn’t a testament to the effectiveness of Bjj.

Which again is an ignorant statement to make since you don’t know what happened in either situation.

Perhaps YOUR situation had nothing to do with Bjj training, but mine did.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You said that MY situation wasn’t a testament to the effectiveness of Bjj.

Which again is an ignorant statement to make since you don’t know what happened in either situation.

Perhaps YOUR situation had nothing to do with Bjj training, but mine did.
it may be to you, but its not a testiment to anyone else, well not anyone who can use lodgic

, if they are ever faced with the exact siituation and the exact same attacker and they have precisely the same abilities as you, then yes, that works, but be honest how likely is that?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it may be to you, but its not a testiment to anyone else, well not anyone who can use lodgic

That's fantastic, but the question *I* was answering was about MY experience, no one else's.

This is what happens when you jump into a conversation that doesn't pertain to you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's fantastic, but the question *I* was answering was about MY experience, no one else's.

This is what happens when you jump into a conversation that doesn't pertain to you.
but your offering your exsperiance to others as an example of how,effective bjj is

and im sure in your mind you connected the two together as proving something and you may be correct for you, but urs not as a said a relable testiment for other people on if bjj will work for them coz both they and the situation will be comptlly different

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but your offering your exsperiance to others as an example of how,effective bjj is

Because that's what I was asked to do by another member of this forum.

and im sure in your mind you connected the two together as proving something and you may be correct for you, but urs not as a said a relable testiment for other people on if bjj will work for them

Again, the question wasn't "Do you think Bjj can protect [insert poster's name] in a self defense situation?" The question was "Have YOU (Hanzou) ever experienced a dangerous situation", with the implication whether or not I had ever used Bjj to protect myself.

I'm seriously amazed that you don't seem to get this.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because that's what I was asked to do by another member of this forum.

Again, the question wasn't "Do you think Bjj can protect [insert poster's name] in a self defense situation?" The question was "Have YOU (Hanzou) ever experienced a dangerous situation", with the implication whether or not I had ever used Bjj to protect myself.

I'm seriously amazed that you don't seem to get this.
i do get it, and my xmcomment was that that is not a good testiment for other people

a fact you dont seem to grasp

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well yes but your logic is failing slightly

most peopke dont do ma, a fair few of them have had to protect themselves or their family and hhave done so successfully , due to any number of factors that may or may not apply to you
True, but they have personal experience and experience is validation, when they comment on the subject.

Latest Discussions