Are competitive Sport Martial Artists superior?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i do get it, and my xmcomment was that that is not a good testiment for other people

Since you moved the goalpost, I'll move it as well; Considering that you don't know the situation, how do you know it's not a good testament for other people?

For example, what if a woman used Guard to avoid getting strangled by a large man on top of her? Couldn't that be used as a testament for Bjj's effectiveness for women at large?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since you moved the goalpost, I'll move it as well; Considering that you don't know the situation, how do you know it's not a good testament for other people?
well rather coz no two situations are going to be the same.

there of course things that appy universally, such as, if you have a flat tyre, a jack, wheel brace and spare tyre will help,

but then you get into situation specifics, such as for gods sake dont change a tyre in the fast lane of the motorway, coz it different,

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well rather coz no two situations are going to be the same.

there of course things that appy universally, such as, if you have a flat tyre, a jack, wheel brace and spare tyre will help,

but then you get into situation specifics, such as for gods sake dont change a tyre in the fast lane of the motorway, coz it different,

Yet if we look at those videos earlier in the thread, the same general principles applied to multiple situations. So while no two situations are the exact same, obviously there are skills that can be learned that can be applied to a broad swath of encounters.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yet if we look at those videos earlier in the thread, the same general principles applied to multiple situations. So while no two situations are the exact same, obviously there are skills that can be learned that can be applied to a broad swath of encounters.
skills can of course be applied, but those dont have to be bbj or even ma skills

if i use my football expertes to evade an attacker, or my baton twirling exspertise to hit him with a pool cue, then im not going to be bigging myself up and saying people shpuld do football or cheerleading coz it worked for me

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Instead of spending your time to train the TMA form, if you just train this 1 step 1 punch, will you get better result?

If you include this kind of punch when you run. It takes over 2,000 steps to walk one mile. If you run 3 miles, you should have done 6,000 punches (along with footwork).

IMO, competitive sport MA can remind us what's important and what not that important.

chain-punch.gif

Last edited:
OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
skills can of course be applied, but those dont have to be bbj or even ma skills

if i use my football expertes to evade an attacker, or my baton twirling exspertise to hit him with a pool cue, then im not going to be bigging myself up and saying people shpuld do football or cheerleading coz it worked for me

Well that's because that isn't the point of playing football or Cheerleading. However, the point of Bjj is to restore and retain dominant position in a fight. So obviously if you're highly trained in Bjj, you should be able to perform what Bjj was made to do in a most situations.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that's because that isn't the point of playing football or Cheerleading. However, the point of Bjj is to restore and retain dominant position in a fight. So obviously if you're highly trained in Bjj, you should be able to perform what Bjj was made to do in a most situations.
well at least one major point of football is to evade people ,

so if what ever situation occures requires evasion, then football will top bjj every time

if a pool cue come to hand, that cheer leading will top bjj every time,

like i said and keep saying its very situation dependent

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well at least one major point of football is to evade people ,

If you're an offensive player. If you're on defense, that isn't a major point of practice.

Anyway, I'm not seeing a point to this conversation, since your only goal appears to make irrelevant contrarian arguments, so we'll just have to leave it here.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Instead of spending your time to train the TMA form, if you just train this 1 step 1 punch, will you get better result?

If you include this kind of punch when you run. It takes over 2,000 steps to walk one mile. If you run 3 miles, you should have done 6,000 punches (along with footwork).

IMO, competitive sport MA can remind us what's important and what not that important.

chain-punch.gif

Didn't he get KO'd by a front kick to the face?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're an offensive player. If you're on defense, that isn't a major point of practice.

Anyway, I'm not seeing a point to this conversation, since your only goal appears to make irrelevant contrarian arguments, so we'll just have to leave it here.
i was talking about actual foot ball, not that american thing, but yes id fancy my chances more against a hobby bjjer than an offensive lineback

irelivant points seem to be anything that disagrees with yoyr narative

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Didn't he get KO'd by a front kick to the face?
I like the aggressive type of dynamic punch. I have always feel guilty for my running. Every time when I run, I feel I should use that time to train MA instead. When I integrate punched into my running, I no longer feel guilty about my running. Especial when I hold barbells and punch when I run, I feel I can do

- endurance training,
- MA training,
- weight training.

all at the same time. By using 1 stone to kill 3 birds is always a good idea.

Here are good examples that dynamic straight punch can be countered by circular hook punch.

dynamic-punch.gif

dynamic-punch-1.gif

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm, im not sure thats really a testiment for bjj

thats much the same for me over the last 20 years or, so,im very bald and quite big, the number of people who want to push it, beyond shouting at a distance are few

but ive had to fight my way out of a few life threatning situations as well and i didnt use bjj,

so what does that prove i wonder?

That the street is a bad example for consistency and sport is a better example.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That the street is a bad example for consistency and sport is a better example.
well that was rather my point, the real world is inconsistent and unpredictable

the last issue i had i was lost in my own thoughts with no feelibg of danger or anywarnings,

no one get in a ring with out exspecting a bit of a fight is to break out, with some of much the same weight and probably of comparable ability, and operate more or less in compliance with what ever rule set is in place and unless its a wwf tag team event that they will be on their own and bot as in my situation armed with a pitbull

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the aggressive type of dynamic punch. I have always feel guilty for my running. Every time when I run, I feel I should use that time to train MA instead. When I integrate punched into my running, I no longer feel guilty about my running. Especial when I hold barbells and punch when I run, I feel I can do

- endurance training,
- MA training,
- weight training.

Here are good examples that dynamic straight punch can be countered by circular hook punch.

dynamic-punch.gif

dynamic-punch-1.gif

Are you saying you do not think that was strategic at all? BTW, I have not seen the fight.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i was talking about actual foot ball, not that american thing, but yes id fancy my chances more against a hobby bjjer than an offensive lineback

So you believe that an athlete is a more formidable opponent than a hobbyist?

I actually agree.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- endurance training,
- MA training,
- weight training.

dynamic-punch.gif

dynamic-punch-1.gif

I think this just shows that the ring is a great way to test out a fight theory. Some arts like Wing Chun for example pretty much rely on that straight punch forward motion, seemingly never realizing that a hook punch can send you to dreamland. Boxing realized this long ago. Why? Because they actually applied the fight theory in a relatively safe environment.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you saying you do not think that was strategic at all? BTW, I have not seen the fight.
To let your opponent to come in with straight punches. You then use hook punch to knock him down is a good strategy. I have used this strategy all the time. As long as you can move to the side (by wheeling step), your opponent's forward momentum can let you easily to use your hook punch to hit on the back of his head.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think this just shows that the ring is a great way to test out a fight theory. Some arts like Wing Chun for example pretty much rely on that straight punch forward motion, seemingly never realizing that a hook punch can send you to dreamland. Boxing realized this long ago. Why? Because they actually applied the fight theory in a relatively safe environment.
The dynamic circular punched can give your opponent more trouble than the dynamic straight punches.

- You can use circular punch to deal with your opponent's straight punch.
- You can't use straight punch to deal with your opponent's circular punch. Your straight punch will be knocked down by your opponent's circular punch any way.

double-spears.gif

Last edited:
OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The dynamic circular punched can give your opponent more trouble than the dynamic straight punches.

- You can use circular punch to deal with your opponent's straight punch.
- You can't use straight punch to deal with your opponent's circular punch. Your straight punch will be knocked down by your opponent's circular punch any way.

double-spears.gif

I agree. Which is why testing in a controlled environment (like sport) is good.

Latest Discussions